Understanding Target Designation?

Flagrum

There are several ways how I can designate a target and I can use severak sensors to do it.

I am able to designate a tgt, but I am struggeling with the "workflow" - or rather the switching of different modes that happen if I switch between sensors. It seems to me, that if I designate a WP at the EHSD, the TPOD is slaved automatically to that designation. How can I now "sweeten" the designation? The TPOD always jumps back to the WP? And if I undesignate, then the aircraft switches to HUD designation?

I don't know, I probably recall it wrong, but almost everything I try seems to result in inconsistent or at least unintuitive reactions of the systems.

So, I'd love to have some sort schematics, a workflow chart of some sorts. Like, you start designating with this sensor. If you do that, these sensors will do so-and-so. Now you are in mode blabla and from here you can do this.

Which components are affected (sensors, weapons) how, If I am in designation mode X with sensor Y. Which options does it then provide me to use other components with that designation?

Does something like this exist??

Thanks,

--Flag

Double tap SCS Down to go into TPOD mode. You can sweeten the lock to your heart's content. Otherwise it remains SLAVED to whatever designation was originally made.

There is the added complication of turning on TDC ACTION where you need to re-deisgnate with TDC Depress, but with it off, after slewing the TPOD, the new location will be effectively DESIGNATED.

I know there is some hating on GR, but this video lays it out.  NOTE there was a recent change around needing to box DESG in the EHSD, but otherwise this should get you the basics.

Edited by Recluse

First when you are learning Harrier targeting systems, forget the whole targeting pod. As it is own sub-system that overrides Harrier otherwise set control scheme in the N/A.

Just concentrate to DMT/LST and DMT/TV systems and INS that is "master mode" (should be only a HUD targeting, so be careful as you can accidentally move designation).

And then you have finally TOO, Waypoint and Waypoint offset modes for more special targeting.

Once you understand those, adding the TPOD becomes very easy as separate system to be used.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Since the most glaring problems now seem to be gone(ish), I figgured that I'll give it another try. And yes, I try to do baby steps... 🙂

So Lesson One: switch TDC between HUD and DMT.

Situation: directly after Master Arm: on and A/G: on. Left MFD=EHSD, right MFD=EW

1. SSS Aft --> DMT/LST
  2. SSS Aft again --> DMT/TV
  3. TDC: slews DMT/TV reticle. Cool.
  4. now SSS Fwd to assign TDC to HUD: DMT goes to DMT/INS, no TDC slewing of DMT reticle possible, no reticle in HUD, *confused*
  5. SSS Aft --> DMT/LST
  6. SSS Aft --> DMT/TV, but it looks at god knows what. My attempt to slew something while in HUD seems to have moved the invisible reticle to somwhere in the sky. Now back in DMT/TV I can't seem to move it anywhere else.
  7. UNDESIGNATE: DMT/TV slews to velocity marker

Not. Intuitive.

edit: ok, I learned something now. At step 4, the missing reticle in the HUD - I have to designate a target with the velocity vector. Then I get the reticle and the DMT is slaved to it. From there I can toggle the TDC assignment between HUD and DMT with SSS Fwd. and Aft. So, ok, cool!

Now I can even Undesignate and still get the TDC slewable reticle in the HUD after SSS Fwd - even if I unbox the EHSD DESG.

Why the difference between "before any designateion" and "after an undesignated designation"!?

Edited by Flagrum
  • Thanks 1

SSS Fwd --> TDC->HUD

Designate spot under velocity vector with TDC Depr.

Slew HUD reticle

SSS Aft --> TDC->DMT/TV, HUD reticle changes to DMT rectangular reticle

Slew DMT reticle, but when I let go of TDC slew axis, the reticle jumps back to the point where I had slewn the HUD reticle to, right before SSS Aft.

Why?

Edited by Flagrum

I really cannot understand the TDC Action /No Action. should I bind Action Key Or both?. I have tried Acton/ No Action key, but in most cases pressing TDC action/no action is not stabilized,How to Find Out the mode in which i am?🙄

Thanks for any help you can give.

Edited by Rapax

I usually leave it off since that is how I learned the Harrier before this feature was available.  Sometimes it is confusing as in the F/A-18 I am used to mashing TDC depress for every desgination so there is muscle memory there.

3 minutes ago, Rapax said:

So, Which do you like best?

1 minute ago, Recluse said:

I usually leave it off since that is how I learned the Harrier before this feature was available.  Sometimes it is confusing as in the F/A-18 I am used to mashing TDC depress for every desgination so there is muscle memory there.

Same. I use the one where you hold tdc and release designates. 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

50 minutes ago, Flagrum said:

SSS Fwd --> TDC->HUD

Designate spot under velocity vector with TDC Depr.

Slew HUD reticle

SSS Aft --> TDC->DMT/TV, HUD reticle changes to DMT rectangular reticle

Slew DMT reticle, but when I let go of TDC slew axis, the reticle jumps back to the point where I had slewn the HUD reticle to, right before SSS Aft.

Why?

Hmmm I just tried it and did NOT see this behavior. Reticle stayed where it was after slewing in TV mode.

Do you have TDC Action/No Action selected?  In that case, IF you slew without holding TDC Depress, it will snap back to the previously Designated Target as you haven't made a designation. If you are HOLDING TDC Depress while slewing, it will re-designate when you release. I thought that was what you meant by "letting go of the TDC Slew Axis). If TDC Action/No action is NOT toggled on, then you will designate a target wherever you stop the slew.

Edited by Recluse
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Rapax said:

I really cannot understand the TDC Action /No Action. should I bind Action Key Or both?. I have tried Acton/ No Action key, but in most cases pressing TDC action/no action is not stabilized,How to Find Out the mode in which i am?🙄

Thanks for any help you can give.

This might be helpful

5 hours ago, Recluse said:

This might be helpful

Yes, thank you!

And yes, you were right, I was using "Enable Action / No Action = Yes". This probably confused me the most as I was used to the "gamey" TDC when I last fiddled around with the Harrier a few months ago.

Now, after a couple of hours, I seem to get the hang of it again. Still had some situations with what I would consider unintuitive behaviour, but at least it seemed to be more consistent.

Edited by Flagrum

2 minutes ago, Flagrum said:

Yes, thank you!

And yes, you were right, I was using "Enable Action / No Action = Yes". This probably confused me the most as I was used the "gamey" TDC when I last fiddled around with the Harrier a few months ago.

Now, after a couple of hours, I seem to get the hang of it again. Still had some situations with what I would consider unintuitive behaviour, but at least it seemed to be more consistent.

I love the Harrier, but every time I fly it SOMETHING confuses me especially with all the changes. Real world pilots say it is a very stable platform but I find it really hard to keep in trim. Still when it works, it is a great bomb truck!