General late game B model question

AH_Solid_Snake

5 hours ago, jcdata said:

All the same airframe... engine weight differrent.. the weights ballooned throughout the years because they Typically left the rails, racks, etc..

Think I am kidding?

Go to the f14a weight and start adding the weights to the ranks, stub, rails, pylons, etc... you'll see the base weight match the b and D..
In fact, IIRC, the NATOPS even cites what is included in the base weight. You'll see the stub and other items listed for the b and d.

F110 engines were shorter and needed longer extensions

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Yeah no. Empty weight should mean empty weight. It's the extra avionics and IRST system etc. which made the 14D heavier.

• Thanks 1

On 7/2/2021 at 7:30 AM, Naquaii said:

As it stands we're lacking a lot of information on primarily the PTID which makes it impossible in our view atm, and even if we got that information it's not a given. Personally I'd very much like to see it though!

Ya know, I have to wonder, what sorts of information do you guys need to make these things work? I bring that up because it's a common theme with many a module, and I am wondering how that information could be realistically presented to you to get it represented in game. Like, if you need specific documentation, given that the Tomcat is out of service, the information should be in the US Navy Archives, alternatively, would talking to someone with experience on the subject work?

I'm only asking this, because I would personally love to see the upgrades in question, and for the same reasons previously stated: It would give more SA when working with the other modern jets, and better compatibility. Although, which form would the HUD take? Would it look like the existing HUD? Or, would it look more like the Ds HUD?

3 hours ago, Tank50us said:

Although, which form would the HUD take?

Sparrowhawk

Are you joking? F-14 devs, who created one of the best and most detailed DCS module, having multiple SMEs help and plethora of non-public available documents tell you they lack some docs, it's hard to get them and they even want it and you're like just ask some RIO or go to the archives... If you have it - PM to the devs. Otherwise just read the FAQ and move on.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

29 minutes ago, draconus said:

Are you joking?

No, I'm legit asking the question as it's a common thing to wonder exactly what sorts of information is permissible, and what isn't. I'm not trying to do what the Challenger dude did (because I don't know myself), but I wonder what sorts of information groups like Heatblur need to make the modules to the level they do.

Also... what is the PTID? I don't think that's something I've ever heard of.

38 minutes ago, Tank50us said:

what is the PTID?

Programmable Target Information Display - in short a huge upgrade over RIO's TID - it's bigger, faster, it has more functions, better integrated with ac and weapon systems. All this, every button and every page of it is needed to be modeled correctly.

a0109941_498aef3e24f25.jpg

• Thanks 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

27 minutes ago, draconus said:

Programmable Target Information Display - in short a huge upgrade over RIO's TID - it's bigger, faster, it has more functions, better integrated with ac and weapon systems. All this, every button and every page of it is needed to be modeled correctly.

a0109941_498aef3e24f25.jpg

Ah ok. Well, at the moment we certainly knew a few of the functions it has:

the two radar mods

I imagine some sort of mapping function

asteroids

the LANTIRN gear

probably something with the RWR

the tape recorder...

I wonder if even with the few functions we know it does have, if it could be modeled and place-holders put in for the other functions until that information becomes available. I'm sure if it's a good faith attempt, people will forgive Heatblur until more information becomes available to make it possible 1/1. But I'm certainly not going to hold it against them if they have to shrug and take an educated guess.... who knows, they may get it right without meaning to. I mean, it's not like that hasn't happened in the past in other media.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tank50us said:

I wonder if even with the few functions we know it does have, if it could be modeled and place-holders put in for the other functions until that information becomes available.

Yeah... no, thx. DCS, and especially HB, have much higher standards than some guesswork half ass mod.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, draconus said:

If you have it - PM to the devs. Otherwise just read the FAQ and move on.

I don't, but I know someone's who's ol'man worked on Tomcats at NAS Pax River, Mayport, Jacksonville. And was also aboard USS J. F. K., and USS George Washington, so he may have seen and worked on the full range of Kitties as a Tomcat Tweaker.

5 hours ago, Skysurfer said:

Also keep in mind that there even were B(U)'s without the Sparrowhawk HUD - VF-102 flew them until 2002 for example.

I don't think the Sparrowhawk reached the fleet until 2002, so all standard pits until then for all squadrons. 

• Like 1

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."