Marianas G2 VR Experience

ShaunX

It seems the Marianas map is somewhat more demanding than Syria.. perhaps because it utilises features in the new EDGE 2.7 Engine ?

With my rig and G2, optimised to @speed-of-heat's test 26 settings, I can't maintain 45 FPS flying low over Guam (whereas I can easily over Syria), and so I'm getting a lot of stuttering looking sidewards.

The compromise for me is to loose MSAA and I can just about hold 45 FPS. Dropping Steam SS to 70% solidifies it but I don't like the image quality drop and increased aliasing. (I do still have reshade for VR enabled as I'm addicted to the clarity now). It's certainly worth the MSAA drop as the terrain is far more detailed than Syria.

Another compromise is to keep MSAA x2 but just fly out of the Northern islands which are far less processing intensive and the tiny Farallon de Medinilla island North of those (situated in the bottom right hand corner of CT97 in the ME) is a handy official US bombing range.

Hopefully there's optimisation to follow but still definately worth flying for me with a little compromise.

Interested if others are having a similar experience ?

Edited by ShaunX
spelling !
  • Like 2

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

@ShaunX    Very brief flight last night (instant action) and I didn't get above 30FPS which was a little disappointing given my specs and the fact that Syria now runs at 45FPS most of the time. If the "new" map engine is indeed to blame, then I think it needs to be investigated a little further. I'd also like to understand the specs of the test rigs that are being used during devtest as they must be monsters, and I appreciate VR adds a large overhead.  I'll try and take a look at the other areas outside of the instant action flight and see how that works out too.

Edited by zildac
  • Like 1

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

Yeah, I literally spent weeks optimising my VR settings so I can get mostly stable 45 FPS on all maps, even Syria.

But Marianas feels more like 20 FPS. I haven´t tried it yet with FPSVR enabled, but as long as there is some island visible, it´s unplayable for me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zildac said:

@ShaunX    Very brief flight last night (instant action) and I didn't get above 30FPS which was a little disappointing given my specs and the fact that Syria now runs at 45FPS most of the time. If the "new" map engine is indeed to blame, then I think it needs to be investigated a little further. I'd also like to understand the specs of the test rigs that are being used during devtest as they must be monsters, and I appreciate VR adds a large overhead.  I'll try and take a look at the other areas outside of the instant action flight and see how that works out too.

That IS disappointing for your spec, particularly with the mods you're running. Did you delete FXO/Metashaders 2 etc and allow to rebuild after the update ?

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

9 minutes ago, eUK Nibbler said:

apparently loosing terrain shadows helps

Just now, ShaunX said:

That IS disappointing for your spec, particularly with the mods you're running. Did you delete FXO/Metashaders 2 etc and allow to rebuild after the update ?

Yeah it's odd. I did, always do after an update and reapply Kegetys etc. The funy thing is it seemed to be locked at a max of 30FPS which I could understand if my headset was set to 60HZ in WMR which it isn't it's set to 90HZ hence my normal 45FPS with Motion Repro on. There was a WMR update yesterday and I wonder if it now "intelligently" drops to 60HZ/30FPS when it needs to...who knows. I need to do some more digging 👍

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

1 minute ago, zildac said:

Yeah it's odd. I did, always do after an update and reapply Kegetys etc. The funy thing is it seemed to be locked at a max of 30FPS which I could understand if my headset was set to 60HZ in WMR which it isn't it's set to 90HZ hence my normal 45FPS with Motion Repro on. There was a WMR update yesterday and I wonder if it now "intelligently" drops to 60HZ/30FPS when it needs to...who knows. I need to do some more digging 👍

Interesting  - assume you mean WMR for Steam VR ? I've kept to the stable version of that for weeks now since an update screwed me up.

1 minute ago, eUK Nibbler said:

Turn terrain shadows completely off, you get used to it really quick.

We already kinda do. If you set shadows to low and terrain shadows to flat and then install Mustangs Flat Shadow Removal mod it removes ALL terrain shadows, but leaves you with cockpit shadows and your aircraft shadow ONLY, which is a realy nice compromiose.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ShaunX said:

Interesting  - assume you mean WMR for Steam VR ? I've kept to the stable version of that for weeks now since an update screwed me up.

Yeah could be, am running beta  WMR for SteamVR but did also notice an update for the Mixed Reality Portal via the Store yesterday which I also installed. Tbh it's been rock solid for every other map thus far. But I know there were issues with some of the betas a while back.

10 minutes ago, zildac said:

well there was some experimental setting included in WMR recently where it would produce 2 images with motion reprojection instead of only one. That would set the FPS to 30 while running 90 Hz. Not sure if that is supported in DCS or steam VR - it works in Microsoft Flight Simulator

9 minutes ago, Eugel said:

well there was some experimental setting included in WMR recently where it would produce 2 images with motion reprojection instead of only one. That would set the FPS to 30 while running 90 Hz. Not sure if that is supported in DCS or steam VR - it works in Microsoft Flight Simulator

That's interesting, I know that 2020 will do 30FPS in WMR but like you say didn't realise it may also be supported in DCS. Would seem unlikely as DCS is OpenVR and FS is OpenXR as I recall. I'll jump on now and confirm the 30FPS "lock" I think.

OK. So the 30FPS lock was nonsense and me being half asleep. On the instant action mission I stick to around 2300ft 350Kts heading is around 285. 45FPS all looks good, then once the coastline starts to come into view I see GPU frametime jump up to around 20, as I cross the coast GPU frametime is up at 24! and then 30FPS with a dip below every now and then. Also CPU util (in FPSVR) is around 85% but it's spikey so down to 60% then up to 85-88%. Something isn't right, I guess it's like Syria was initially and just needs some work.

Edited by zildac

21 minutes ago, zildac said:

That's interesting, I know that 2020 will do 30FPS in WMR but like you say didn't realise it may also be supported in DCS. Would seem unlikely as DCS is OpenVR and FS is OpenXR as I recall. I'll jump on now and confirm the 30FPS "lock" I think.

OK. So the 30FPS lock was nonsense and me being half asleep. On the instant action mission I stick to around 2300ft 350Kts heading is around 285. 45FPS all looks good, then once the coastline starts to come into view I see GPU frametime jump up to around 20, as I cross the coast GPU frametime is up at 24! and then 30FPS with a dip below every now and then. Also CPU util (in FPSVR) is around 85% but it's spikey so down to 60% then up to 85-88%. Something isn't right, I guess it's like Syria was initially and just needs some work.

I've just tried the instant action again and even with no MSAA I can't get above 36-37 over Guam. However, with my home made basic mission I can get 45 most of the time so there's something up with the instant action.

Worth a try. Also try taking off from the Northern islands' bases as they're much less demanding.

I have to say once you get stable the terrain is really really nice on all of the islands.

Just now, ShaunX said:

I've just tried the instant action again and even with no MSAA I can't get above 36-37 over Guam. However, with my home made basic mission I can get 45 most of the time so there's something up with the instant action.

Worth a try. Also try taking off from the Northern islands' bases as they're much less demanding.

I have to say once you get stable the terrain is really really nice on all of the islands.

@ShaunX Thanks. I'll try that for sure 👍

I wouldn’t call it somewhat more demanding, but a lot more demanding at present. 

• Like 1

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

1 hour ago, Supmua said:

I wouldn’t call it somewhat more demanding, but a lot more demanding at present. 

I totally agree. I tend to play with low settings with my Rift S to play at 80 Hz most of the time (so PD 1, no MSAA, no shadows, only textures at high and Anisotropic x16)

But even with these settings, the FPS is just above 40 in the free F16/F18 free flight mission.

Need to wait to really enjoy this beautiful and free map 🙂

So as a last word, Thank you ED for your work and hope to have some fix in a near futur

i7 12700k, RTX 3080ti, 64GB RAM, M.2 512Go, Quest 2

For VR optimization, I don’t mind if the outside view is a bit blurry but I prefer the cockpit to remain as sharp as possible. 

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Just did a run with FPSVR enabled. F-16, Instant Action, Free Flight over the main island. FPS is around 22-26.

These are my settings (I run 50% Steam VR resolution, so pretty much the G2´s native resolution):
20210701231904_1.jpg

The same settings without VR results in very smooth 70 FPS (but it looks terrible without MSAA on the monitor):
20210701232402_1.jpg

My system: Ryzen 7 5800X, 32 GB Ram, GTX1080 Ti

It´s hard to critizice a free map, but for now, all I can do here is running benchmarks.

"These are my settings (I run 50% Steam VR resolution, so pretty much the G2´s native resolution):"

How so??

50% SteamVR benefit is bunk sir.

Run 100% everywhere as a base.  Adjust from there..  preferably with Steam VR because it adjusts as a percentage of total pixels instead of a multiplier of HxW...  So is a more linear representation of the performance you would expect.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

5 hours ago, M1Combat said:

"These are my settings (I run 50% Steam VR resolution, so pretty much the G2´s native resolution):"

How so??

50% SteamVR benefit is bunk sir.

Run 100% everywhere as a base.  Adjust from there..  preferably with Steam VR because it adjusts as a percentage of total pixels instead of a multiplier of HxW...  So is a more linear representation of the performance you would expect.

Sorry, I don´t understand. 

I did just what you describe: I went from 100% and adjusted until I got to a steady 45 FPS, which is at 50% Steam VR resolution ...

Besides, that´s not the point. The point is that I get twice the FPS on maps like Caucasus, Persian Gulf and even Syria with the same settings. And from what I´ve read, I´m not the only one.

4 hours ago, Eugel said:

Sorry, I don´t understand. 

I did just what you describe: I went from 100% and adjusted until I got to a steady 45 FPS, which is at 50% Steam VR resolution ...

Besides, that´s not the point. The point is that I get twice the FPS on maps like Caucasus, Persian Gulf and even Syria with the same settings. And from what I´ve read, I´m not the only one.

I think ED made the point in their Marianas FAQ with their recommended VR requirements (for which I think we can read MINIMUM requirements)

"

RECOMMENDED VR SYSTEMS REQUIREMENTS (VR graphics settings): OS 64-bit Windows 8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i7-9700 / AMD Ryzen 3700X or better; RAM: 32 GB; Free hard disk space: 120 GB on Solid State Drive (SSD); Discrete video card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 2080 Ti / AMD Radeon RX 5700 or better

"

..and those are the recommendations for the "VR" preset in system options, which are pretty low settings !

(I suspect they also do their VR testing with that preset too!)

If I adopt the VR preset settings with my 5900X/3090 then sure, I get perfect locked 45 FPS low across Guam. But that rather defeats the reason for having a G2.

I've done some testing this morning and and with my rig and regular high settings, CPU frametime is aound 8-9, which is reasonable, but GPU frametime is 18-19 (compared to 12-13 on Syria and sub 10 on Caucasus)

I've tried starting with the VR preset and upping settings one at a time. I'm finding the biggest killers are Visible range, water and ansiotropic filtering (which is odd).

I've set those first 2 those to medium and last to off against my regular high settings and the map over Guam is playable for me with MSAA x 2 (& Steam SS 80%). Reasonably well locked at 45 (though not while rolling).

If you're struggling I'd suggest starting with the VR preset and see what you can add.

Also, try setting up a basic mission flying out of an airfield on one of the Northern islands. There are far less terrain objects up there and the islands are still stunning.

Performance reminds me of when the super carrier came out, it was awesome but the performance was lacking as well as Syria. The congestion is like having an asthma attack. But I sure do appreciate the free map and the shoreline and reef is spectacular ! I hope it smoothes out in time. 

Edited by Burt

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020