when petrovich locks a target, shouldn't we be able to switch to rockets and maintain the target lock?

Raven434th

When petrovich locks/detects a target, shouldn't we be able to switch to rockets and maintain the target lock?, since the sights are in sync? When I as Pilot switch too rockets ,it snaps to the center loosing petrovich's target lock/aquire.

Edited by Raven434th

MODUALS OWNED       AH-64D APACHE, Ka-50, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24,Gazelle, FC3, A-10C, A-10CII, Mirage 2000C, F-14 TOMCAT, F/A-18C HORNET, F-16C VIPER, AV-8B/NA, F-15 E, F-4 Phantom, MiG-21Bis, L-39, F-5E, AJS 37 Viggen, MiG-19, F-86, MiG-15Bis, Spitfire IX, Bf-109K, Fw-190D, P-51D, CA, SYRIA, NEVADA, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, MARIANA ISLANDS,SUPER CARRIER, WORLD WAR II ASSETS PACK, HAWK T1

SYSTEM SPECS            AMD  7600X 4.7 Ghz CPU , MSI RX 6750 12 gig GPU ,32 gig ram on Win11 64bit.

I want to say this is already how it works, I think you can switch whenever you want and it won't impact Petrovich. It just means that you cannot see where he is aiming and where you need to point/keep your heli pointed for launch authorisation and accurate guidance.

Someone can probably confirm though. It might impact you authorising him shooting? I'm fairly sure he will keep guiding regardless of what mode you are in.

That's kinda my point ,shouldn't it retain the sight on target when switching to rockets since they are sync'd? I mean the sight stays on target for missiles...why not rockets when I start my rocket run?

Edited by Raven434th

MODUALS OWNED       AH-64D APACHE, Ka-50, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24,Gazelle, FC3, A-10C, A-10CII, Mirage 2000C, F-14 TOMCAT, F/A-18C HORNET, F-16C VIPER, AV-8B/NA, F-15 E, F-4 Phantom, MiG-21Bis, L-39, F-5E, AJS 37 Viggen, MiG-19, F-86, MiG-15Bis, Spitfire IX, Bf-109K, Fw-190D, P-51D, CA, SYRIA, NEVADA, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, MARIANA ISLANDS,SUPER CARRIER, WORLD WAR II ASSETS PACK, HAWK T1

SYSTEM SPECS            AMD  7600X 4.7 Ghz CPU , MSI RX 6750 12 gig GPU ,32 gig ram on Win11 64bit.

I want to say this is already how it works, I think you can switch whenever you want and it won't impact Petrovich. It just means that you cannot see where he is aiming and where you need to point/keep your heli pointed for launch authorisation and accurate guidance.

Someone can probably confirm though. It might impact you authorising him shooting? I'm fairly sure he will keep guiding regardless of what mode you are in.
I assume he wants Petrovich to aim and keep the crosshairs on the target, so he can turn the helicopter and fire rockets on it.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

YES...but I say this only because I assume its supposed to be sync'd.

Edited by Raven434th

Rockets has the CCIP equivalent, which is continuously computed impact point. Meaning that cross on rocket will keep moving relative to your speed, attack angle, altitude etc. so it cannot be fixed on target

• Like 2

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8GHz / 32GB( 4x8 ) @ 3.2GHz / 1TB ADATA NVMe System Drive / 232GB NVMe Samsung 960 / ASUS dual RTX 2080ti / Reverb / Rift CV1 / T-16000M FCS flight pack

A10C/M2000C/F5E/SA342/Mi8/UH1H/KA50/AJS-37/FA-18C/AV-8B/F-14/Mig29/CA/SU-27

Petrovich's target designation is only for ATGM's as they are the only weapons that employ the optical gunsight.
When you switch to rockets, gunpods or the 30mm the targeting has nothing to do with Petrovich.
Sigh... Do you guys read at all?

• Like 1

When pilot switch their weapons from anything other than OFF/MISSILE position, at least currently (probably IRL too?) gunner's sight doors close automatically, and the sight resets to centre position. And no, it's not Petrovich who closes the doors, it happens when we are in the operator seat as well, if pilot's weapon selector is not on OFF/MISSILE position, we can't open the sight doors from the front seat.

What is possible, is to use the gunner's sight to show the target position, memorize where it is, then switch to your own unguided weapons.

Front seater can flip the weapons override switch he has, and can open the sight up again, but then the pilot can't use weapons anymore until the switch is set back to its default off position.

Edited by WinterH
  • Like 1

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

7 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Sigh... Do you guys read at all?

Do you read at all? If you switch to rockets/guns/cannon, sight automatically switches to CCIP mode, meaning it will show impact point of selected weapon. No way to maintain target lock.

Do you read at all? If you switch to rockets/guns/cannon, sight automatically switches to CCIP mode, meaning it will show impact point of selected weapon. No way to maintain target lock.
Sure, but that had been answered already!
OP wanted/asked if Petrovich could maintain lock/show him were the target was.
Cheers!

• Like 1

I don’t know the answer but I have always assumed the HUD just doesn’t support that much graphics/cross. So if the cross displayed while petro’s targeting then when you switch weapons he is still targeting but now the graphics just changes to show CCIP instead.

• Like 1

Last time (before latest patch) i tested this "by accident". Made an attack run with ATGM, Petro locked a target. Then i switched to rockets and Petro still had the target locked but the pipper switched to rocket mode. When i started firing the sight was also in ATGM launch condition, so i could hear the tone. Pressing fire launched the rockets and Petro also fired his ATGM... So he kept his lock all the time.

Edited by RealDCSpilot
  • Like 1

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

2 hours ago, RealDCSpilot said:

Last time (before latest patch) i tested this "by accident". Made an attack run with ATGM, Petro locked a target. Then i switched to rockets and Petro still had the target locked but the pipper switched to rocket mode. When i started firing the sight was also in ATGM launch condition, so i could hear the tone. Pressing fire launched the rockets and Petro also fired his ATGM... So he kept his lock all the time.

That has to be a bug. To get to rockets, you need to go through cannon selection. That will close the sight doors. How can he maintain lock if he can't see?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, admiki said:

That will close the sight doors. How can he maintain lock if he can't see?

Not just that, but as far as I know closing the sight doors will reset the sight to boresight position anyway, so target position would be lost. Also, does it really happen at 30mm position? I feel like the doors are closing as soon as you switch away from OFF/MSL position, but not sure.

If it is only on 30mm position, I think a potential workaround (only on multicrew) could be:

- Pilot switches his weapon selector to rockets, and leave it there

- Gunner uses the weapons override switch to open up the sight, and throws it back off

- IF the sight doesn't close as the pilot's selector isn't on 30mm, theoretically pilot can use rockets, while gunner can still keep observing, perhaps even launching Shturms, but pilot won't see where the gunner's sight is looking at of course.

Also even if that works (big if BTW), it still wouldn't work with Petrovich I'd think.

• Like 1

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

That has to be a bug. To get to rockets, you need to go through cannon selection. That will close the sight doors. How can he maintain lock if he can't see?
Because he is all seeing all wise?
Agree, it shouldn't be like that, unless I'm missing something.

1 hour ago, WinterH said:

Not just that, but as far as I know closing the sight doors will reset the sight to boresight position anyway, so target position would be lost. Also, does it really happen at 30mm position? I feel like the doors are closing as soon as you switch away from OFF/MSL position, but not sure.

If it is only on 30mm position, I think a potential workaround (only on multicrew) could be:

- Pilot switches his weapon selector to rockets, and leave it there

- Gunner uses the weapons override switch to open up the sight, and throws it back off

- IF the sight doesn't close as the pilot's selector isn't on 30mm, theoretically pilot can use rockets, while gunner can still keep observing, perhaps even launching Shturms, but pilot won't see where the gunner's sight is looking at of course.

Also even if that works (big if BTW), it still wouldn't work with Petrovich I'd think.

I think it's only on 30mm. Great, now you gave me one more thing to test

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that doors should be closed only from operator cockpit, a switch on the front "Doors Open/Closed" and light next to it for status if doors are open.

The cannon should likely be usable with doors open, you just have likelyhood to dirty it with the cannon muzzle.

This can be different in P, as at least in the V the pilot has possibility either show operator sight position or own weapon CCIP calculation. This is why you as pikot have fixed sight as well because you might want to shoot at the operator spotted target with 3.3/10x sight, when you have 1x mark 1 eyeballs only. So you can have rockets or cannon for attack.

Sight is not just for ATGM but as well for target spotting and designation for the pilot.

As from a >100 meters distance, a camouflaged vehicle is not spottable.  Even a vehicle without extra camouflage and at wide open can become "invisible" from 300-500 meters when stationary.

• Like 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.