cpu temperature

Hi all,

Just out of curiosity, what’s your cpu temperature when flying in dcs?

Just got a Ryzen 5600X. Good but running at 85C, roughly and in average. I am wondering if that’s safe…

Edited by shomke

F-16C, M2000C, Persian Gulf

Ryzen 5 3600, RX 5700 XT, 32GB ram, Odyssey HMD+, Home-made TrackHat, X56 Hotas.

well the max temp for that CPU is 95c so you are pretty hot for just running DCS something might be wrong. I really dont know how much ehat these AMD produce normally but I would think for running DCS 85c is pretty high. Did you build it yourself. One thing could be wrong is either there is no not paste on it it or they did not remove the sticker from the heatsink.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-5600x

Edited by The_Nephilim

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

1 hour ago, shomke said:

Hi all,

Just out of curiosity, what’s your cpu temperature when flying in dcs?

Just got a Ryzen 5600X. Good but running at 85C, roughly and in average. I am wondering if that’s safe…

The 5600X is the coolest of the new Ryzen generation, so your cooling is failing you here.

Make sure that your box is venting the hot air properly, because even the stock cooler wouldn't let this CPU run that hot.

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

Yeah I think I will re-paste it and try again this evening. I’ll let you know.

• Like 1

F-16C, M2000C, Persian Gulf

Ryzen 5 3600, RX 5700 XT, 32GB ram, Odyssey HMD+, Home-made TrackHat, X56 Hotas.

4 hours ago, shomke said:

Yeah I think I will re-paste it and try again this evening. I’ll let you know.

Check the contact patch of the cooler base as well, if it is not flat there can be hot spots created and I know that some after market coolers have such deffects from factory.

If you're looking for a very good and cheap one you couldn't go wrong with this one...

Freezer 7 X

It has the advantage of its airflow going from front to back and coupled with good front and back fans, it works wonder.

With the MSI Afterburner and Ryzen Master at full boost, I never get to this temperature, more likely 10°C lower in average, but I also took very good care of my case cooling, I got two low pressure and two high-flow fans to get fresh air in and hot air out, one of the the two low pressure is directly aligned to the CPU cooler fan out ward and one high flow is feeding it with cool air.

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

Ryzen CPUs run super hot due to the voltage AMD has allowed them to run on out of the box (which are still safe, but makes CPU very hot).

Downvolt it using Ryzen Master. With this you can also set up a profile in which, if activated, the CPU doesn't change frequency up and down and runs on its highest clock in a stable and static manner. I was able to downvolt to 1,15V for 4200MHz on 6 cores on Ryzen 3600 easily.

Edited by Gnadentod

I have a Ryzen 5800X and also got above 80°C flying DCS. As I already have a good cooler with the Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro I really wondered about it. Playing around with the fan speeds and curvatures (CPU and SYS fans) brought it down now to around 60°C when flying, sometimes dipping the low 70s. I use the Arctic MX-4 thermal paste. So it is worth spending some time on adjustments.

What is the cooler you are using? With the Box cooler I guess you cannot await much better results.

Xoxen

Edited by xoxen

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4080 OC, Windows 10 64bit Home Premium, TrackIR 5 with TrackClip: Pro!, Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base + TM Warthog Stick + 7cm extension + WINWING Orion 2 with F-15EX grips, Cougar MFDs with 8" displays, Saitek Rudder Pedals, Samsung Odyssey G9 49" 5120x1440 @120 Hz

I set my rad fan to 50% manually. Def bump your fans up if your water cooled or even not… get the fan going !

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

On 7/2/2021 at 7:46 AM, Gnadentod said:

Ryzen CPUs run super hot due to the voltage AMD has allowed them to run on out of the box (which are still safe, but makes CPU very hot).

Downvolt it using Ryzen Master. With this you can also set up a profile in which, if activated, the CPU doesn't change frequency up and down and runs on its highest clock in a stable and static manner. I was able to downvolt to 1,15V for 4200MHz on 6 cores on Ryzen 3600 easily.

Just for your info: Ryzen 5 5600X TDP is way lower than that of an Intel i5-10600K at its default setting of 65W, more to the point it has a lower maximum temperature, 95°C vs 100 °C.

People who manage to have them running above 75°C have a cooling problem, not a CPU problem caused by voltage.

Edited by Thinder

7 hours ago, Thinder said:

Just for your info: Ryzen 5 5600X TDP is way lower than that of an Intel i5-10600K at its default setting of 65W, more to the point it has a lower maximum temperature, 95°C vs 100 °C.

People who manage to have them running above 75°C have a cooling problem, not a CPU problem caused by voltage.

Never was I talking about a comparison between CPUs in terms of TDP or maximum temperatures and neither did OP.

Facts still stand, you can heavily downvolt Ryzen CPUs while still having the performance intact - but at less heat generation.

Edited by Gnadentod

1 hour ago, Gnadentod said:

Never was I talking about a comparison between CPUs in terms of TDP or maximum temperatures and neither did OP.

Facts still stand, you can heavily downvolt Ryzen CPUs while still having the performance intact - but at less heat generation.

Sure you can downvolt a Ryzen, but the 5600X has a TDP lower than its Intel equivalent and runs cooler as well, so if people have a temperature issue with it, it is a cooling issue, not related to your explaination:

Ryzen CPUs run super hot due to the voltage AMD has allowed them to run on out of the box (which are still safe, but makes CPU very hot)

In fact in the case of this particular CPU it is the opposite.

The thermal design power (TDP), sometimes called thermal design point, is the maximum amount of heat generated by a computer chip or component (often a CPU, GPU or system on a chip) that the cooling system in a computer is designed to dissipate under any workload.

Ryzen 5 5600X: Default TDP / TDP 65W.

What you were saying and what I corrected was:

That's demonstratively false. First it is limited to 65W, second it runs 5°C cooler than the Intel of the same class, not only you can run it at full boost with a stock cooler without it reaching the shut down limit but it will do so using a LOT less power than the Intel i5-10600K which TDP is 125W.

So if people have a temperature issue with it, again it is a cooling issue, not due to the CPU voltage being too high as you alleged, I took a good care of my cooling, first with the case, second with a simple Freezer 7 X and at full boost running a 4K test with 3D Mark Pro 4K Gaming, 3840 x 2160 and 2 X MSAA, pick temperature is 73°C.

Running DCS doesn't change this, cooling is efficient so it works within its designed parametrers.

Edited by Thinder

TDP is not the same thing as CPU temperature. AMD Ryzen cpus have low TDP because they don't consume much power and they don't produce much heat when you look at the whole package.

At the same time, the cores themselves can run as high as 90 degrees before throttling and anything below is just a normal operating temperature according to AMD. It's just a consequence of boosting algorithm applying reltively high voltages for 7nm process. Especially under partial load like games, when Cpu is boosting single cores very high.

In other words, your CPU cooler can be cold to the touch, and the CPU reporting high temperatures at the same time. And that's pretty normal, as long as it stays below 90 degrees.

Edited by some1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

1 minute ago, some1 said:

TDP is not the same thing as CPU temperature. AMD Ryzen cpus have low TDP because they don't consume much power and they don't produce much heat when you look at the whole package.

At the same time, the cores themselves can run as high as 90 degrees before throttling and anything below is just a normal operating temperature according to AMD. It's just a consequence of boosting algorithm applying reltively high voltages for 7nm process. Especially under partial load like games, when Cpu is boosting single cores very high.

In other words, your CPU cooler can be cold to the touch, and the CPU reporting high temperatures at the same time. 

You visiblt have no idea what you write. YOU brought volage up to try to explain that this CPU was running HOT. FALSE in BOTH case demonstrated by both AMD and Intel, you can try to twist yourself to knots, you wrote B.S and I corrected it with datas from both manufacturers. Now cut it you're begining to pull the hell out of me not being able to admit your were wrong.

Edited by Thinder

8 minutes ago, Thinder said:

You visiblt have no idea what you write. YOU brought volage up to try to explain that this CPU was running HOT. FALSE in BOTH case demonstrated by both AMD and Intel, you can try to twist yourself to knots, you wrote B.S and I corrected it with datas from both manufacturers. Now cut it you're begining to pull the hell out of me not being able to admit your were wrong.

You're not even realizing who you're talking to. I will not participate in any strawmanning-chatter with you, keep trying if you wish though. Gnadentod out.

Boy, this guy is really misinformed. Here's something straight from AMD on Zen3

big_thermals-ryzen-5000.jpg

big_voltages-ryzen-5000.jpg

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Yeah keep away, you wrote WHAT.EVER and refuse to aknoledge FACTS.

YOU brough voltage into the equation to try to make up that the Ryzen 5 5600X was running "super hot" because of the voltage = FALSE.

Ryzen CPUs run super hot due to the voltage AMD has allowed them to run on out of the box (which are still safe, but makes CPU very hot)

In FACT; it is strictly identical to the Ryzen 5 3600X when it comes to Max Temps at 95°C but achieve this at 30W lower TDP, and in BOTH case this is inferior to the Intel i5-10600K, 65W vs 95 W and 95 °C vs 100 °C, visibly you got your wires crossed there and I can't help it, it's YOUR QUOTE.

So you were wrong and can throw tantrums and  business cards all you want FACTS and DATAS from both AMD and INTEL proves you WRONG, on the other hand, with proper cooling, it can easily run at full boost and never go above 75°C, even with a stock cooler it will remain within its thermal limits, I should know because I tested it with both coolers.

End of debate.

Intel® Core™ i5-10600K Processor

AMD Ryzen™ 5 5600X

AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600X

The fact you just put up strawman arguments because you're a true champion at misinterpreting is quite amusing to say the least. I'm not keeping away because I'm wrong, I'm keeping away because there's no civilized cure for your ilk.

Edited by Gnadentod

I'm not "misinterpreting" what YOU wrote, it's Crystal CLEAR.

So stop trying to imply that you were right when FACTS proves you wrong.

YOUR QUOTE:

super hot = 5°C cooler Maximum temperature than an i5-10600K.

due to the voltage = TDP: 30W lower than the Ryzen 5 3600X and 60W lower than Intel i5-10600K. No relation here whatsoever with Ryzen 5 5600X performances alegedly due to the voltage, in FACT it is the opposite, it beats both the 3600X and i5-10600K in terms of performances for TDP and Maximum temperature.

Reality: Ryzen 5 5600X runs 5°C cooler than the Intel with a TDP 60W lower and at the SAME Maximum temperature has 30W lower TDP than the Ryzen 5 3600X:

In BOTH case, you are WRONG.

Edited by Thinder

For those interested, I upgraded my case precisely for better cooling, I reached the maximum cooling capabilities of the old one which dated from Pentium III and couldn'y cope with generated heat as early as I fitted a Ryzen 5 3600 and the EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB in it, you could have cooked an egg on top of the case.

The last item that I purchased was the Artic Freezer 7X but because I wanted to have some headroom in term of cooling for future upgrade with the 5600X in view, so I also added two additional Noctua NF F12 fans to bring fresh air and help exhaust of hot air, one is feeding the GPU, the CPU being feed with the case's stock 120 mm fans with the CPU fan aligned to it and to the second Noctua NF F12 behind it.

Again, at full load with 3D Mark Pro 4K Gaming, 3840 x 2160 and 2 X MSAA and boosted with Ryzen Master, pick temperature never exceeded 73°C, according to my upgrade records, it's more than 5°C cooler than with the stock Ryzen cooler with Ryzen 5 3600X, 5°C higher (78°C) being the temperature of my system with the 3600X and the same aftermarket Artic.

I added the links to complete the list of the upgrade one day later.

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/246922-upgrade-complete-happy-player/?tab=comments#comment-247831

3 hours ago, Gnadentod said:

The being indirectly claiming a CPU running 95C° is not hot, hear hear...

Reason truly has escaped you. Keep capslocking Mr. or Mrs. Strawman.

So you have issues with cooling your CPU?

Believe it or not it starts with the ambiant temperature of the room where you PC is running, then case cooling, it needs fresh air in and venting hot air as well, this way you'll have a much better environment for your PCU and GPU to work, the better the case cooling the more efficient CPU and GPU cooling can be.

>>> Blah..

If you can't read Maximum temperature it's your lot, but here is your personal score:

YOUR QUOTE:

super hot = 5°C cooler Maximum temperature than an i5-10600K.

due to the voltage = TDP: 30W lower than the Ryzen 5 3600X and 60W lower than Intel i5-10600K. No relation here whatsoever with Ryzen 5 5600X performances alegedly due to the voltage, in FACT it is the opposite, it beats both the 3600X and i5-10600K in terms of performances for TDP and Maximum temperature.

Reality: Ryzen 5 5600X runs 5°C cooler than the Intel with a TDP 60W lower and at the SAME Maximum temperature has 30W lower TDP than the Ryzen 5 3600X:

In BOTH case, you are WRONG.

CPU-Temp.jpg

Edited by Thinder

2 hours ago, Gnadentod said:

TLDR: No civilized cure.

For ignorants and reality deniers, NO.

And in case you haven't noticed, the Maximum Temperature is that where the CPU will throttle back, the Ryzen is conceived to achieve its performances at 5°C lower than the Intel and 60W lower TDP, which make your comment a double false.

READ yourself AGAIN:

Edited by Thinder

13 hours ago, Gnadentod said:

BLAHHH

And in case you haven't noticed, the Maximum Temperature is that where the CPU will throttle back, the Ryzen is conceived to achieve its performances at 5°C lower than the Intel and 60W lower TDP, which make your comment a double false.

READ yourself AGAIN:

1) 5600X doesn't " run super hot".

2) Certainly NOT "due to voltage AMD allowed them to run out of the box".

Vaccate to the knitting forum you'll make a better impression.

Edited by Thinder