ATFlir Question

tmansteve

I hope someone can give me some pointers.

I load the flir etc with weapons. I set a waypoint to the ground target and when I set waypoint 1 and then select waypoint designate, the tpod is looking into the sky and I cannot get close to the target and wh3n I eventually find the target, I have to keep adjusting the camera as it moves so quickly past.

I have watched so many videos on this (Wags, Reapers etc) and use them but I still find it difficult. If the tpod would stay over the target or close to it, then the rest is no problem.

Any help appreciated

Edited by tmansteve

36 minutes ago, tmansteve said:

I hope someone can give me some pointers.

I load the flir etc with weapons. I set a waypoint to the ground target and when I set waypoint 1 and then select waypoint designate, the tpod is looking into the sky and I cannot get close to the target and wh3n I eventually find the target, I have to keep adjusting the camera as it moves so quickly past.

I have watched so many videos on this (Wags, Reapers etc) and use them but I still find it difficult. If the tpod would stay over the target or close to it, then the rest is no problem.

Any help appreciated

When you defined the waypoint did you set its altitude correctly? In the mission editor you need to put 0 in the  altitude and dcs will correct it automatically to whatever ground level is at that point. 

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

By default DCS makes a waypoint about 6562 feet plus or minus. This means the pod is also looking at that point in space. This can be addressed in the mission editor prior to playing the mission if it is one of your missions. Or one can also use the HSI screen and then go in to DATA on the MFD, scroll to the waypoint number in question and then edit (UFC) the altitude on the fly. If one is unsure of what height to set in this scenario, using the F10 map and putting the pointer over the spot will show you it's height above sea level and you can use that. This is on the fly if you are ever in a mission, but basically, it is nice if the mission maker accounts for a waypoint that is on a target being used as a designator and has set the altitude before hand for all players.

Damn it,

Thank you so much guys for the info. I set a waypoint on the target but didnt set it to 0. Cannot wait to have another go. Its great to know that someone might have the info that can help you to move leaps and bounds.

I hope it all works out

Cheers

• Like 1

Damn it,

Thank you so much guys for the info. I set a waypoint on the target but didnt set it to 0. Cannot wait to have another go. Its great to know that someone might have the info that can help you to move leaps and bounds.

I hope it all works out

Cheers
Just to make sure it's clear, the point is to set the waypoint altitude to be equal to the ground elevation.

In the mission editor, this happens automatically if you set the altitude to 0 (it corrects it), but if you're setting up a waypoint in the cockpit, through the HSI->DATA->WP sublevel, you need to enter the correct altitude to match the elevation.
  • Like 1

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Also, the reason the FLIR is not locking onto a point that you designate may be that it’s not in a stabilized “Track” mode. Bumping the Sensor Control Switch towards whichever DDI the FLIR is displayed on will change the track mode.

I recommend Chuck’s guide for visuals on the ATFLIR track mode symbology. 

Wasn't there a bug where if you WPDSG while TDC is assigned to the ATFLIR, the designation goes crazy? Sky, clouds, random point in the ground, etc.

Has this been fixed?

Work around is (was?) make sure TDC priority is on some other DDI when pressing WPDESG.

Wasn't there a bug where if you WPDSG while TDC is assigned to the ATFLIR, the designation goes crazy? Sky, clouds, random point in the ground, etc.

Has this been fixed?

Work around is (was?) make sure TDC priority is on some other DDI when pressing WPDESG.
IIRC this was fixed
  • Like 1

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

4 hours ago, Harker said:
4 hours ago, Bearfoot said:

Has this been fixed?

IIRC this was fixed

Good to hear. It was such a fuss sometimes.