Windows 11 Anyone?

Wolf359

27 minutes ago, applesinduck said:

Just reverted back to Windows 10. The main issue I had was the fact that they decided to incorporate "foreground prioritization" into Windows 11. After a few months of testing (since Insiders build), this is a total disaster for flight simmers who run Opentrack in the background/tray while DCS is on the "foreground". This led to Opentrack being heavily throttled when it's minimized or when I'm running a fullscreen application, resulting in a choppy head movement. So yes, Thanks Microsoft!

Strangely enough I don't have that issue at all, using OpenTrack as an endpoint for SmoothTrack running on an iPad above my monitors. Will check more on this.

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Clustermunitions is just another way of saying that you don't like someone.

I used to like people, then people ruined that for me.

I found this about "foreground prioritization" interesting too. Using DCS with Track IR on Windows 11 recently I had a stutter fest, I'm wondering if it could be this. I also reverted back to Windows 10 because of this problems. My other first person shooter gamers that dont use Track IR ran fine. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bossco82 said:

I found this about "foreground prioritization" interesting too. Using DCS with Track IR on Windows 11 recently I had a stutter fest, I'm wondering if it could be this. I also reverted back to Windows 10 because of this problems. My other first person shooter gamers that dont use Track IR ran fine. 

Glad somebody else also faced the same issue and it's not just me. I spent a month trying to find a way to disable this thing. I think they overplayed this feature. Many games will simply stop running (or running badly) if it's switched to background by alt-tabbing. Star Citizen is also suffered from this so it's a deal breaker for me. What a shame.

Intel Core i5 2500K, 12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3, Z68X-UD3-B3, GTX 1080 (ZOTAC International), SSD 850 EVO

I´ve had no issues with Track iR using Windows 11, but maybe it´s because i have a decent processor and enough ram. I´m fairly sure you tried this, but did you try changing gaming mode, and hardware accelerated gpu scheduling settings?

PC: i7 8700k 32GB DDR4 3200 Mhz  RTX 3070 Ti Hotas Warthog Thrustmaster TPR Track ir 5 Bodnar BBI-32 Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Lewitt LCT 240 Pro
Jets: A-10A A-10C Warthog A-10C II F-14 Tomcat F-16C Viper F-5E Tiger II F/A-18C Hornet F-15C Su-33 MiG-29 F-86F Sabre 
Choppers: AH-64D Mi-8MTV2 UH-1H Huey Black shark 2 Maps: Nevada Normandy Persian gulf Syria The Channel 
WW2: BF-109 K4 Fw 190 D-9 Dora Mosquito FB VI P-51D Mustang Spitfire LF Mk. IX  Other: Supercarrier WWII Assets Pack NS 430 Navigation System Combined Arms 

Sorry I didn't mean I had experienced that issue. I wondered if what you were sharing could have been the reason for my stutter fest after upgrading to Windows 11. Apologies mate. When I saw that DCS performed noticeably worse in Windows 11 over Windows 10 I presumed it was due to the AMD latency problem, I use a AMD 5600x. 

I had not heard of "foreground prioritization" before I saw it mentioned in this thread. I rolled back to Windows 10 because of what looked like a loss in fps/stutter. I never 100% found the cause and I have not tried again yet. Still on Windows 10 at the moment.

13 hours ago, Tenebrae Aeternae said:

I´ve had no issues with Track iR using Windows 11, but maybe it´s because i have a decent processor and enough ram. I´m fairly sure you tried this, but did you try changing gaming mode, and hardware accelerated gpu scheduling settings?

Tried all that. I'm using 5600x as well so it's decent enough imo.

• Like 1

Intel Core i5 2500K, 12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3, Z68X-UD3-B3, GTX 1080 (ZOTAC International), SSD 850 EVO

Could have been just the Win 11 issues with AMD cpus. I think it got sorted, but can´t remember for sure. There´s no real need to swap until DX12 ultimate and proper use for direct storage is a thing anyway. Windows 11 doesn´t really offer anything that new so far apart from some qol stuff. I´ve had it from the first moment it came available for dev preview and haven´t had much issues at all (if any). I might have been just lucky. Performance is about the same, or even worse for the unlucky ones, so there´s that too..

Edited by Tenebrae Aeternae

PC: i7 8700k 32GB DDR4 3200 Mhz  RTX 3070 Ti Hotas Warthog Thrustmaster TPR Track ir 5 Bodnar BBI-32 Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Lewitt LCT 240 Pro
Jets: A-10A A-10C Warthog A-10C II F-14 Tomcat F-16C Viper F-5E Tiger II F/A-18C Hornet F-15C Su-33 MiG-29 F-86F Sabre 
Choppers: AH-64D Mi-8MTV2 UH-1H Huey Black shark 2 Maps: Nevada Normandy Persian gulf Syria The Channel 
WW2: BF-109 K4 Fw 190 D-9 Dora Mosquito FB VI P-51D Mustang Spitfire LF Mk. IX  Other: Supercarrier WWII Assets Pack NS 430 Navigation System Combined Arms 

I had nothing but problems with DCS in VR after I ill advisedly updated my PC to Windows 11. To compound matters, I accidentally deleted my win 10 restoration files so i couldn't revert back to Windows 10.

Following the most recent mandatory Windows 11 update, which left me unable to access my own PC's settings app, I bit down on a very bitter pill and carried out a full clean install of windows 10.

My advice to anyone considering updating to 11 is this; walk away and don't look back.

Kit: i9 10900k, Rog Strix RTX 4090, Asus Rog strix Z490 Mobo, 64 GB, Varjo Aero HMD running Open VR

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, Thrustmaster Pendular rudder peddles

MODS: Pretty much all of them

Major Corvus, I'd have to suspect it is your Reverb.  I say this as a former Reverb owner who LOVED it until it started getting quirky.  Quirky led to unreliable.  Unreliable led to bricked.  It's now sitting on a pile of crap a few feet away from me.  (Not literal crap. I'm not a complete pig.) 

Granted, my experience soured me on the Reverb so maybe I'm blaming it for all my problems. 

Anyway, I'm running Mac OS . . . I mean Windows 11 . . . with my Vive Pro 2 and it is working great.  Buttery smooth. 

I installed Windows 11 only for the Thread Director since I upgraded to an Alder Lake CPU.  So maybe the CPU is why it's working for me.  I dunno.

ORIGINAL:  8088 4.77 Mhz  |  640kb RAM UPGRADE  |  TANDY 16-COLOR VIDEO  |  DUAL 5.25" FLOPPY DRIVES  |  13" VGA MONITOR  |  TANDY DELUXE JOYSTICK

CURRENT:  i5-12600k @ 5.0 Ghz  |  32GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz  |  NVIDIA RTX 4090  |  3TB NVMe M.2 DRIVES  |  Pimax 8KX |  X56 RHINO HOTAS  |  VKB T-RUDDER Mk.IV  |  SIMSHAKER  |  VOICEATTACK w/VIACOM Pro

I was up late one night dead tired and not thinking straight when I noticed I had the option so I clicked YES. I live on the edge. I wondered if I just screwed up royally but I have had it installed for 2 or 3 days now and so far I love it. The first thing I did was uninstall Teams so that might be the winner right there as to me Teams is worse than death. I hated it at work, no way do I want it at home. It appears to be gone so I am happy.

I really love the as many as you want desktops as I like to do video editing (I had 5 open) and that for me is the most outstanding thing but just all over I like it. A few things were like wtf until I found the new way but all in all no way would I go back to 10. The centered task bar went from wtf to I love it in a day. Same with everything else... so far. Man I even like the notification tones. Very mellow instead of the last ones which were to me more irritating then a peaceful notification.

I also have had no problems at all in VR and DCS at all. In fact I flew and produced Hold My beer with it and that's where I fell in love with all these desktops I can have now. I don't have multiple monitors anymore, just a 50 inch LCD.

Maybe my system spec have something to do with it but my rig is hardly state of the art. Not a pig either but this is it.

ROG Strix 2080Ti
Intel Core i9 9900K Processor @ 3.60GHz
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master Motherboard
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4

Oculus Rift S.

I did have a couple of problems. I had XMP running when it restarted. Something didn't like what was going on so the bios reset... turning off the TMP setting or I should say resetting them to default... which is off. So it rebooted and then failed and reverted the install because my machine was no longer compatible. FFS. Loaded optimized defaults and turned on the TMP stuff again. I thought I was going to have to go through the download but it just installed, rebooted. No problems since.

The second was renaming file names or editing the credit roll in that video. It lagged and you could go get a cup of coffee pretty much waiting for it to catch up. I have not had that problem again though so not real sure what the go was there.

All up, love it.

Some tips in here I found interesting.

Edited by Shrubbo
  • Like 1

i9-9900K,Z390 Aorus Master, 32GB GSkill Trident F4-3600 DDR4, ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti, Oculus Rift S. Thrustmaster Warthog T&S, TPR Pedals.

23 minutes ago, JayRoc said:

5600X with RX6800XT and G2 - Upgrade to Win11 went without any issues.

But i benched and didnt see any improvements...so no point to update atm.

I upgraded and found no issues nor degradation in performance so I took the view there was no reason not to 🙂

Given this is where the focus will be on development going forward and hopefully some benefits. Not without some risk of a dodgy update of course but life on the edge and all that.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

There are several reasons not to:

-No official SteamVR support
-Possible driver problems
-Recent MS updates with resulting blue screens and bricked OS

The new Startmenu is "unfortunate" and they furthermore seperated OS settings to different places.

Edited by JayRoc

FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | SA342  R5 5600X | 32GB | RX 6800XT | TM Cougar | T-Rudder mk.IV | HP Reverb G2

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle USB standalone MOD

• 3 weeks later...

Windows 10 21H2 is what I have been using and now I know why DCS crashes all the time and 
my Bios is all messed up.   I am certain that the reason DCS crashes every time I turn on
my EVGA Precision OC clockware software, it crashes dcs.

I need to go back to a standard version.

I have read some interesting things here about buying a 30 dollar part that will allow win 11 to function at 1.2 version
Amazon.com: ASUS - MOTHERBOARDS TPM SPI Module System Components MOTHERBOARDS : Electronics   this went up in price a few dollars in the last few days.
My MB is 6 years old but I need to upgrade soon.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

I installed 1909, which is the stock win 10 pro OS, and DCS and the entire PC runs 200% better then Win 11...     YEA
Precision X OC works now again with no problems and DCS is now remembering curve settings once again.

Edited by ctguy1955

Check ASUS site! I found a bios update for my board, that I didn't expect, and it was to make it compatible with Win 11.

I updated the bios and know it works because on reboot, OS wanted to update to Win 11.

The Asus tools don't always find bios updates, that's why I go to support at the ASUS site.

My last two bios updates were found by going to the site.

Good Luck! 😎

5 hours ago, Dauntless said:

and it was to make it compatible with Win 11

You don't need to update your BIOS to make your motherboard "compatible with Windows 11": it already is.
The one thing that BIOS update does however, is enable certain features by default that Windows 11 requires, such as TPM. On an older BIOS version, enabling those settings manually yields the same results 🙂

But for people who are not too confident messing about with their BIOS, simply flashing it is the safest option indeed.

• Thanks 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, okopanja said:

What is the position of DCS developers on Windows 11? Did they already upgrade their machines to WIndows 10?

I would be dismayed if DCS developers actually have upgraded to an OS that is at the moment used by less than 9% of gamers (source: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey)

I have no plans to move over to Win 11 until there is a good reason to do so, and I suspect that I'm not the only one that feels the same.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

34 minutes ago, okopanja said:

@Flappieperhaps you are the once who could helps us. What is the position of DCS developers on Windows 11? Did they already upgrade their machines to WIndows 10?

I'm afraid I don't have the answer: I have no access to ED dev's PCs. P is for Personal, remember. 😉

I bet some of them already have W11 running, since ED tested DCS compatiblity with the new O.S. when it became availaible.

On my end, I haven't jumped to W11 yet. I guess it's a matter of weeks before curiosity takes over.

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.