Mi-24P sudden loss of lift

tflash

Sometimes, when I dive into some enemy positions to do a good gun strafing or rocket attack, the Mi-24P abruptly banks to the the right, losing lift and crashing straight into the ground. When it happens control inputs fail to have any effect. 

I guess this is a correctly modeled effect of the tail rotor no longer having windstream due to the main rotor wash? Is there something I can do to avoid this? 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

4 minutes ago, tflash said:

Sometimes, when I dive into some enemy positions to do a good gun strafing or rocket attack, the Mi-24P abruptly banks to the the right, losing lift and crashing straight into the ground. When it happens control inputs fail to have any effect. 

I guess this is a correctly modeled effect of the tail rotor no longer having windstream due to the main rotor wash? Is there something I can do to avoid this? 

Actually no, this is called retreating blade stall. Keep your speed below 350kph, ideally below 330kph and if you start to detect the onset of the stall, decrease collective and try and get into a level attitude. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retreating_blade_stall

• Thanks 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Am 2.7.2021 um 14:08 schrieb tflash:

Thanks, I didn't realize the speed aspect! 

Be aware that when you enter RBS there are also different scenarios how to recover depending on the if and how many of the AFI-channels ("autopilot" that are actually the AFCS-dampener-assist channels) you have enabled.

Also be aware that for VRS and probably in an nuance for RBS the transition is or might not yet be fully modelled (aka behavioural hints).

It's also worth noting that RBS isn't tied to speed but rather the AoA of the blades. That means while excessive speed in dives will cause it it can also happen at lower speeds during maneuvering, for example steep turns may cause RBS well below Vne.

3 hours ago, Blackeye said:

It's also worth noting that RBS isn't tied to speed but rather the AoA of the blades. That means while excessive speed in dives will cause it it can also happen at lower speeds during maneuvering, for example steep turns may cause RBS well below Vne.

While it's true what you said, if you are pulling that hard you are going to mush before you RBS

2 hours ago, admiki said:

While it's true what you said, if you are pulling that hard you are going to mush before you RBS

Well technically your retreating blades are stalling in a mush - it's just that the other areas of the rotor are stalling as well, so the experience is a bit different

This happens when you pull up really hard and fast and the momentum keeps you going along you original flight path effectively pushing the AoA of all blades into the stall region quickly (with a very tiny, unnoticeable window of RBS).

However if you apply the cyclic more gradually like during a fast steep turn I'd think you'd experience RBS without stalling the entire rotor - but excessive speed with high collective is certainly the exemplary case.