Marianas Bathymetry

Northstar98

Hi everyone,

I've noticed that the Marianas map doesn't have any bathymetry, and is like the Caucasus map, where the floor just has a uniform incline that levels off at a depth of only 50m (161 feet). The real bathymetry of the Marianas is a lot more interesting, what with the Mariana trench and all that.

The location of Challenger Deep is present on the map, it's approximately 225° for 315km from Apra Harbour in Guam. The depth there should 10920m ±10m (35827 ft ±33 ft) - the deepest place on the planet. In DCS it's a mere 50-51m.

This is especially important if we ever get the ability to take the external cameras below the water (and there is an 'underwater' effect modelled in DCS, it's nothing like SH4, but it's a lot better than what it was, and is adequate enough as is). And especially so if we get improved fidelity to submarines and ASW. Naval Base Guam IRL is home to 2 Los-Angeles Flt. II and 2 Flt. III submarines, as well as an Emory S. Land submarine tender.

Right now every map (well out of the ones I own) features fairly accurate bathymetry - the only exceptions are the Caucasus and the Marianas.

It doesn't have to be high resolution at all, the resolution of the pre 2.5 Caucasus map would more than suffice.

Edited by Northstar98
formatting
  • Like 6

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding the 2.7.4 update.

All that seems to have changed is now instead of being 50-51m it's ~900m, a marked improvement but still far from being anywhere close to a semi-accurate depth map, that we see in other maps (the SoH/PG, Channel and Syria maps all have approximately accurate depth maps).

Saipan channel for instance is still a measly 5-7m when in reality, according to this (page 13 on the reader), the minimum charted depth should be something like 102m, and the rest around ~200m - obviously immediately around Saipan and Tinian, it gets much more shallow, but for the majority of the channel - it's much deeper than in DCS, which especially problematic for ships with larger drafts, and submarines.

Apra harbour is also only a metre deep, which is far too shallow compared to RL, especially when ypou bear in mind that the real Naval Base Guam can support Nimitz-class aircraft carriers, and is home to 4 Los Angeles-class SSNs, as well as an Emory S. Land-class submarine tender, all with drafts a lot larger than 1 metre.

The real harbour looks to be closer to 45m, and here is a real chart of the area.

Edited by Northstar98
formatting

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 1 month later...

as they say there are more airplanes in the ocean than submarines in the sky..

I agree on depth constrains in the harbors, shouldn't be like that, especially if you can't place the carriers there (can you? haven't tried it). But out in the open ocean is this really a big issue?

On 9/7/2021 at 10:41 PM, peachmonkey said:

as they say there are more airplanes in the ocean than submarines in the sky..

I agree on depth constrains in the harbors, shouldn't be like that, especially if you can't place the carriers there (can you? haven't tried it). But out in the open ocean is this really a big issue?

Thing is, every other map apart from the Caucasus and the Marianas has semi-accurate bathymetry...

With the Saipan channel, larger vessels cannot traverse it when they absolutely should.

Edited by Northstar98
formatting

System:

2 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

Thing is, every other map apart from the Caucasus and the Marianas has semi-accurate bathymetry...

I'm still in awe from learning the depth measurement has a word "bath" in it and "bathophobia" is close to the meaning of "thalassophobia" rather than being scared of baths.

But seriously, we don't have submarines. The WWII asset pack was promising that but never delivered.

On 9/7/2021 at 10:55 PM, peachmonkey said:

But seriously, we don't have submarines. The WWII asset pack was promising that but never delivered.

We currently have 4 submarines, 1 of them present in the WWII asset pack, so I'm not sure what you're talking about...

And again, most of the maps have semi-accurate bathymetry, completely in line with what I'm asking for, the only exceptions (to my knowledge) is the Marianas and the Caucasus.

Apra harbour is so shallow that the only the smallest of vessels can traverse it, seriously, my local swimming pool is nearly twice as deep.

Saipan channel is also way to shallow, and it again means that vessels that should absolutely be able to traverse it cannot do so, and this is before I talk about submarines.

Edited by Northstar98

System:

Pleased to know that as of 2.7.7.14727 all the above has been completed :thumbup:

Apra harbour now has a realistic depth, so has Saipan channel and in general the depth-map is much improved.

Many thanks ED! :thumbup:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

System: