Best way to use HUD as SOI to Place TGP onto a target?

CypherBlue

Not sure if the title explains it correctly, but in essence what is the best way to put the TGP onto a target using the HUD? For Instance if I am performing SEAD and only have a general idea of where the SAM may be, and I see it launch. I want to know what is the best way to get the TGP onto the launch site? Let's say I am carrying a TGP, JDAMs, and a HARM. Can I make the HUD SOI and put the TGP Designation box on to the launch site? 

• ED Team

For such a situation, you'd use the JDAM in VIS mode to roughly place the HUD designation cursor over the target, and then set it as the SPI. 

Based on talks with Viper pilots, the VIS HUD slew is quite coarse, so they would most often  fine tune SPI placement with TGP/AG radar (coming later).

Kind regards,

Wags

• Like 7

Hey Wags!

Thanks for the reply, so I can place the JDAMs in VIS mode. Slew the HUD designation cursor to the launch site, then TMS Up to set the site as SPI? Then I would set the MFD with the TGP to SOI and it would slew the TGP to that point? Where then I would refine the targets location through the TGP and use TMS right to set an Area track at the base of the target. Then switch the JDAM to pre? 

Is this the correct workflow? 

Thanks! 

What about unguided bombs like the mk 82 or CBU 97?  They don't have a VIS mode.  Right now I have to use snow plow on the TGP to get the TD box in the HUD.  This is hard to do under pressure.  Will there be a way to designate a target on the HUD for CCRP without the TGP or A2G radar?  Mark points perhaps?

On 7/2/2021 at 4:59 PM, Wags said:

For such a situation, you'd use the JDAM in VIS mode to roughly place the HUD designation cursor over the target, and then set it as the SPI. 

Based on talks with Viper pilots, the VIS HUD slew is quite coarse, so they would most often  fine tune SPI placement with TGP/AG radar (coming later).

Kind regards,

Wags

Hey Wags, how do we set it as the SPI? While HUD is SOI or switch SOI to TGP and then point track? or something else?

50 minutes ago, Wags said:

DTOS mode will be coming.

Kind regards,

Wags

Awesome, I was hoping for something like that.  Thanks!  Can you speak to Mark points?  I've been waiting for those for a long time...  It'll make hunting for SAM's much easier.  I'm glad you are back on the forums.  I've always wanted to ask you questions directly.  Thanks again!!!  I really like DEAD, it's one of my favorite things to do in the Viper, along with BVR.

Edited by Mirage2425

3 hours ago, Wags said:

DTOS mode will be coming.

Kind regards,

Wags

DTOS mode is awesome!  I just saw a video on it and it solves the issue of the steerpoint not being anywhere near the HUD when you need to designate a pop up target.  Question, this is a SPI, correct, meaning that we can sweeten the designation with the TGP?  I am eagerly awaiting this feature as well as mark points.

Thanks,

Chris