J-8 gen 1

On 7/2/2021 at 7:47 AM, upyr1 said:

Is there any chance that we could get a gen 1 J-8. I know the PLAF is using a modern version of the J-8

Shenyang_J-8_(Finback-A)_-_2.jpg

I would much prefer a J-8II or a J-8F. Gen 1 J-8 really isn't anything special. I wish we could also get a Chengdu J-7E. If we can't get an Su-30MKK then these two are what I would much rather have. 

Btw, this is all assuming we can't get my favorite Chinese aircraft the second generation J-10 ;-;

J-8IIFront.jpg

Edited by IcedVenom
  • Like 2

Just now, IcedVenom said:

I would much prefer a J-8II or a J-8F. Gen 1 J-8 really isn't anything special. I wish we could also get a Chengdu J-7E. If we can't get an Su-30MKK then these two are what I would much rather have.

Due to Chinese security the best we could do with a gen II is an AI aircraft but we might be able to get a flyable Gen 1. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, upyr1 said:

Due to Chinese security the best we could do with a gen II is an AI aircraft but we might be able to get a flyable Gen 1. 

I don't think a J-8II is out of the question 😉

This isn't something very modern or useful like a J-15 or anything. I think you're thinking too highly of the J-8II lol

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, IcedVenom said:

I don't think a J-8II is out of the question 😉

This isn't something very modern or useful like a J-15 or anything. I think you're thinking too highly of the J-8II lol

It is currently being used by the plaaf. I believe that is the metric used by China. If I am wrong then I would like both.

2 hours ago, Mike_Romeo said:

There are a lot people interested into cold war stuff.

I am hugely into Cold War stuff. Issue is that first Gen J-8 isn't anything special, honestly. Second gen is VERY cool and so is J-7II/E. If Deka can't do Su-30MKK then I would rather have one of those two.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I mean could we not get an F-8IIM. it's an export variant that never went anywhere. It's old enough and isn't in service. Maybe something we could get. It's just on the edge of cold war being able to mount R-27 Fox 1s and such.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2021 at 1:57 PM, Morri said:

I mean could we not get an F-8IIM. it's an export variant that never went anywhere. It's old enough and isn't in service. Maybe something we could get. It's just on the edge of cold war being able to mount R-27 Fox 1s and such.

Yes we very well could, but it's up to Deka if that's what they wish to do. You know, they are very skilled and have the ability to design Chinese aircraft and read Chinese sources. They can do whatever Chinese or export aircraft of their choosing. I personally wish they would make a modernized J-7 module but it's not up to me.

• 5 months later...
On 7/8/2021 at 4:16 PM, Mike_Romeo said:

There are a lot people interested into cold war stuff.

I am one too and as the DCS wishlist is published by Janes both J-8s would be nice

On 8/13/2021 at 10:58 PM, IcedVenom said:

Yes we very well could, but it's up to Deka if that's what they wish to do. You know, they are very skilled and have the ability to design Chinese aircraft and read Chinese sources. They can do whatever Chinese or export aircraft of their choosing. I personally wish they would make a modernized J-7 module but it's not up to me.

A modernized J-7 would be cool, but since magnitude 3 already have a MiG-21, IMHO the only way that any version of the J-7 would make sense for Deka would be if they teamed up with Mgnitude. 

In terms of esthetics, I prefer the early J-8 more than the later one.  Kinda like the double ventral fins, and tube fuselage.  If I had my choice though of all Chinese designed planes, my pref is the Q-5.

Just like small, simple, little go carts, under 50 ft in length, and 20000 lbs.

And looking at the math, that thing was almost as maneuverable as the MiG-19, but with longer range.  I would wager it was more maneuverable than the F-5, with its larger wing and fowler flaps.  There are some Pakistani accounts that the Q-5 best Mirages in their dogfight tests, causing a lot of stress for Dassault.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LowRider88 said:

In terms of esthetics, I prefer the early J-8 more than the later one.  Kinda like the double ventral fins, and tube fuselage.  If I had my choice though of all Chinese designed planes, my pref is the Q-5.

Just like small, simple, little go carts, under 50 ft in length, and 20000 lbs.

And looking at the math, that thing was almost as maneuverable as the MiG-19, but with longer range.  I would wager it was more maneuverable than the F-5, with its larger wing and fowler flaps.  There are some Pakistani accounts that the Q-5 best Mirages in their dogfight tests, causing a lot of stress for Dassault.

the Q-5 would be awesome I think it deserves it's own thread

Edited by upyr1
  • Like 2

When you say J-8 gen 1, I assume you meant the old center nose intake variants.
Here are some photo for the cockpit of J-8. It was so hard to find.
But as far as I know, all J-8 was upgraded to J-8E standards, which I still can't find any picture of their cockpit.
I would be cool to have J-8E (the best variant of center nose intake version).
mfdu3Ym.jpgd4QPbWM.jpg

Edited by PLAAF
  • Thanks 2

qLjvyQ3.png

My Adorable Communist Errand Girls  🙂

Led by me, the Communist Errand Panda 🥰

OK, after some digging, I find J-8E's cockpit. I appeared to have an extra HDD on the right, which I assume it is for the RWR because one of the main upgrade that E variant received was an all aspect RWR along with a monopulse radar.
20210106143208440.jpg

Edited by PLAAF
  • Thanks 3

qLjvyQ3.png

18 hours ago, PLAAF said:

OK, after some digging, I find J-8E's cockpit. I appeared to have an extra HDD on the right, which I assume it is for the RWR because one of the main upgrade that E variant received was an all aspect RWR along with a monopulse radar.
20210106143208440.jpg

Not to be a war monger (Together, for a Shared Future!✌️), but it is such a shame the J-8 and Q-5 both have little or no combat history, from what I could find with my limited means.

PLAAF, any chance you can find any details of their combat or meaningful operational history?

2 hours ago, LowRider88 said:

PLAAF, any chance you can find any details of their combat or meaningful operational history?

Not be able to find  "meaningful operational history" is the most meaningful.
It means the nation used this weapon:
  1: is peace loving and didn't use it to invade or bully others.
  2: this weapon is powerful that others couldn't or dare not invade because of this weapon. This weapon has full achieved its purpose ---- safeguard the nation's border and sovereignty. 

qLjvyQ3.png

1 hour ago, PLAAF said:

Not be able to find  "meaningful operational history" is the most meaningful.
It means the nation used this weapon:
  1: is peace loving and didn't use it to invade or bully others.
  2: this weapon is powerful that others couldn't or dare not invade because of this weapon. This weapon has full achieved its purpose ---- safeguard the nation's border and sovereignty. 

Completely agree.  As I said, together for a shared future.

But we are on a mil sim forum after all, and are all buying mods for the purpose of combat sim, which is more meaningful to some when there are historical cases to study and learn from.  Also the PLAAF/PLANAF still had combat cases which met your two points above.

If you can find cases, great.  If you can't or don't want to, no worries.

1 hour ago, LowRider88 said:

Completely agree.  As I said, together for a shared future.

But we are on a mil sim forum after all, and are all buying mods for the purpose of combat sim, which is more meaningful to some when there are historical cases to study and learn from.  Also the PLAAF/PLANAF still had combat cases which met your two points above.

If you can find cases, great.  If you can't or don't want to, no worries.

Well, ever since J-8 took it's flight in 1968, American stopped their U-2 flight over China. Does that count?  😛

Edited by PLAAF

qLjvyQ3.png

3 hours ago, PLAAF said:

Well, ever since J-8 took it's flight in 1968, American stopped their U-2 flight over China. Does that count?  😛

In that case, I suppose you could also count the J-8D collision with an EP-3 in 2001.

In terms of the spirit of what you were referring to as more meaningful, absolutely.

But in terms of replaying historical air combat in DCS, maybe not so much 🙂

Just to clarify though, from what ever limits research I was able to pull up, the U-2 and other recon flights were most likely stopped not because of the J-8, but because of the S-2s, and all the J-6 successful intercepts.

Edited by LowRider88
  • Like 1