A-6 bombardier/navigator's harrowing partial ejection story

Hey guys I just stumbled across this story moments ago and thought I'd share it with the community.

Somehow an A-6 bombardier/navigator partially ejected during flight due to a malfunction, exposing the top half of his body to the 230 kt airstream outside the canopy. His pilot managed an emergency landing on the carrier, and the story is told both from the pilot's and BN's perspectives. Pretty darn scary. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did:

Irish Luck - Surviving Partial Ejection from A-6 Aircraft (gallagherstory.com)

Edited by GeneralDynamics

System Specs:

Win 10 x64 Pro, ASUS Maximus X Formula, i9-9900K @ 4.7 GHz, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 MHz, NZXT Kraken X73 AIO Cooler, Titan X Pascal GPU, EVGA Supernova 1000W P2 PSU, C: 1TB Samsung 960 Pro m.2 PCIe SSD, D: 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SATA SSD, HT Omega Claro PCIe 7.1 Sound, Denon AVR-1709 7.1 Receiver, 46" Sharp Aquos Quattron Main Screen, 27" Acer T272HL TouchScreen + Helios, TrackIR 5, ThrustMaster HOTAS Warthog, Crosswinds pedals, SimShaker

I remember hearing of this years ago - still makes for eye-watering reading.

The amount of things that could have ended the BN had things just been very slightly different - like the chute acting like a restraint - make for sobering thoughts.

VERY lucky guy, very lucky crew.

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

• GeneralDynamics changed the title to A-6 bombardier/navigator's harrowing partial ejection story