Ship wake still broken.

Skysurfer

Can ED please finally aknowledge and fix the issues with ship wakes in 2.7? Especially regarding the paid supercarrier module? It is all but realistic, looks weird and the turbulent white wake effect should also be more pronounced and visible from a distance, helping you with lineup.

Screen_210701_004518.png

Screen_210701_004521.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I can live with a short wake but this ripple wave effect behind the ship and how it 'stands out' on a smooth surface drives me nuts. 

Looking at the water surface from external view, at around the sea level doesn't look bad at all. As soon as view point changes, climbing up, it starts looking strange.

• Like 4

Yeah, the ship wakes generally look nothing like the real thing:

main-qimg-97943a3f987a9a42e4f6985e5e58d4

And the super sharp boundary between wake and sea looks pretty bad IMO.

In general they need to be:

• A lot longer
  • Have smoother transitions
  • More white
  • Overhauled bow waves (preferably tuned for each ship - submarines with an albacore hull have bow waves that look nothing like ships, there should also be a wake for fins/sails masts and antennae).
  • There should be a rooster tail behind the ship, especially when at speed.  

• Like 5

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I have to join in on this one. Crossing the wake is one of the main checkpoints during CASE I's. As it exists now, under many weather conditions it's not visible, and when it is, it's usually completely masked by the ripple effect. I too think the foam-y part of the wake needs to be more pronounced, especially behind the boat.

Edited by captain_dalan
  • Like 7

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

21 hours ago, Silver_Dragon said:

Ship wave has none part of SuperCarrier module, has a DCS effect to all ships with need fixed / Improved.

Well, I frankly don't care. I paid for the module and expect it to work properly. Especially since this wasn't even an issue pre 2.7.

9 hours ago, captain_dalan said:

I have to join in on this one. Crossing the wake is of the main checkpoints during CASE I's. As it exists now, under many weather conditions it's not visible, and when it is, it's usually completely masked by the ripple effect. I too think the foam-y part of the wake needs to be more pronounced, especially behind the boat.

Absolutely. 

• Like 3

On 7/3/2021 at 12:09 PM, Skysurfer said:

Can ED please finally aknowledge and fix the issues with ship wakes in 2.7? Especially regarding the paid supercarrier module? It is all but realistic, looks weird and the turbulent white wake effect should also be more pronounced and visible from a distance, helping you with lineup.

Screen_210701_004518.png

Screen_210701_004521.png

I use Shader Edits V0.96 and although the ship wake size remains the same the wave ripples are removed, and it is better when flying in VR. 

Try using the mod.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

6 hours ago, Skysurfer said:

Well, I frankly don't care. I paid for the module and expect it to work properly. Especially since this wasn't even an issue pre 2.7.

Absolutely. 

DCS World 2.7.2 ship trails:

SuperCarrier Ship

SC_Usa_Ships_trail.jpg

Russian SC module ships and none russian SC module
Russian_Ships_trail.jpg

Russian_Ships_trail_2.jpg

USA none SC module

Usa_Ships_trail.jpg

WW2 Assets pack module

WW2_Assets_pack_Ships_trail.jpg

China Assets pack module

Chinna_Assets_pack_Ships_trail.jpg

All ships use the same trail, has a core feature and none ship have diferent trails on DCS. in fact, the Supercarrier never talk about a "realistic Carrier trail" as a feature or Akreig Burke with Praise Masket trail.

Edited by Silver_Dragon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Skysurfer said:
Yes, we are all aware. And ED should fix that

I actually agree. Hope the will improve in the future. It's nowhere real at all.
Especially the effect when multiple waves meet.
If you thinks this is good, you've never seen a body of water in your life.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

These are really small boats between 10' and 30' maximum. 8c97dfb6950b678e6230b0bf8be01b3d.jpg

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Edited by BIGNEWY
removed profanity
  • Like 1

• ED Team

Ship wakes are on the list to be improved, but it will take time.

thanks

• Like 8
  • Thanks 8

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

46 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Ship wakes are on the list to be improved, but it will take time.

thanks

You can literally remove the unrealistic wave mask through a quick shader edit - seems like a decent bandaid fix for the time being and should be done ASAP.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, t1mb0b said:

jeez, it's a flight sim not a sea sim. Get real.

And how are we expected to fly behind the boat in visual flight conditions?

• Like 6

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

2 hours ago, t1mb0b said:

Its pretty important for naval aviation, visuals in DCS are not that great to begin with, so every little improvement is great for visual lineup during CASE I, II. So take your argument and get lost.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 7/4/2021 at 9:03 PM, t1mb0b said:

This is a paid for product, the wakes looking absolutely nothing like reality is a major concern, especially in terms of spotting.

Also:

Digital Combat Simulator World (DCS World) 2.7 is a free-to-play digital battlefield game. Our dream is to offer the most authentic and realistic simulation of military aircraft, tanks, ground vehicles and ships possible.

You get real.

• Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

1 minute ago, Silver_Dragon said:

A Paid product with the Ship wave has none to do with them.

It should do - for a paid for product, you'd expect it to have realistic effects, even if it's universal and applies to all ships in DCS.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 4

System:

3 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

Even so, for what is essentially a ship module, that costs as much as some full fidelity aircraft, I'd expect there to be some improvements in this regard.

• Like 2

System:

7 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

Even so, for what is essentially a ship module, that costs as much as some full fidelity aircraft, I'd expect there to be some improvements in this regard.

That has a improvement al levet to all ships, non exclusive. If you like a "full fidelity" ship trail, that require rebuild the engine to make them realistic with affect to ship size, proppellers, sea conditions, weather and system installed, not a simple texture.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

15 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

That has a improvement al levet to all ships, non exclusive.

It doesn't have to be exclusive, but for this product I'd expect it to be more realistic than what it is.

15 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

If you like a "full fidelity" ship trail, that require rebuild the engine to make them realistic with affect to ship size, proppellers, sea conditions, weather and system installed, not a simple texture.

It doesn't have to be a full fidelity physics model of the wake - just be more accurate than it is now. You could customise it for each ship (or general hull forms), but having just size be speed dependent like it is now, I'm absolutely fine with.

• Like 2

System:

1 hour ago, Northstar98 said:

It doesn't have to be exclusive, but for this product I'd expect it to be more realistic than what it is.

It doesn't have to be a full fidelity physics model of the wake - just be more accurate than it is now. You could customise it for each ship (or general hull forms), but having just size be speed dependent like it is now, I'm absolutely fine with.

I'd be happy to see the old wake and sea surface again... 'Old' meaning Hornet's release timeframe. ED, if you could dig out these old lines of code from Stennis and 'splice' them up on any big ship. :grin:  It wasn't perfect but compared to what we have now...

• Like 2