Ship wake still broken.

Skysurfer

59 minutes ago, Gripes323 said:

I'd be happy to see the old wake and sea surface again... 'Old' meaning Hornet's release timeframe. ED, if you could dig out these old lines of code from Stennis and 'splice' them up on any big ship. :grin:  It wasn't perfect but compared to what we have now...

The old Stennis code was the same old effect use on all ships previously before ED change them.

29 minutes ago, Gripes323 said:

Yep, that second vid (2.2.0).  Longer wake and the way the ripple blended with the sea surface.

A 3D model import, with a Lua with a incorrect ship size, has normal build a longer trail with the size of a supercarrier on a PTB. The Ripple blender has more realistic on the actual effect.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

On 7/8/2021 at 10:26 AM, Gripes323 said:

I'd be happy to see the old wake and sea surface again... 'Old' meaning Hornet's release timeframe. ED, if you could dig out these old lines of code from Stennis and 'splice' them up on any big ship. :grin:  It wasn't perfect but compared to what we have now...

100% agree

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

• 3 months later...

Well, at last this was mostly fixed now and the triangular wave patterns are gone. The white turbulent water wake is still too short and not pronounced enough for most large ships, which can hopefully be addressed at some point.

Edited by Airhunter
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Agreed, the new wake is much better with regard to the triangle issue.

But the lengths are still too short IMO, especially at higher speeds, there also isn't enough white to them.

Some ships have wakes that are kinda broken though, such as the Tarantul III.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 3 months later...

They have done even more since October, especially the initial bow wave.

0kfGV1Q.jpg

I think it's about 99% better than before. I really hated those triangular bow waves.  sz4M0Ns.png

They were terrible. Water doesn't behave that way.  

PNqtgFf.jpg?1

Just need to tweak the trailing wake. Make it a little longer with more white foam.  SRsfa58.gif

bl0gege.png

• Like 6

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

Fully agreed!

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

• 3 weeks later...

I would also like to request a longer more defined wake. For months I was having troubles lining up in case 1 landings until I heard a pilots comment. “Tuck the wake under your left arm.” Suddenly everything clicked. Except our wake, depending on map conditions can be very difficult to see. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gypsy 1-1 said:

It is literally an in-game effect so they can make it as realistic as they want it to. Just need someone to actually care and work on it. Pretty sure you could even create a mod for it, like the "better smoke" mod.

In the newer version of Taz better smoke mod there is included bigger ship wakes.

• Like 2

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

Guys... ED just said it's on the list of things to improve. In real life, items are prioritized and implemented by impact, effort and resources. Sounds like it is lower on the priority but on the list none-the-less. In the same way that real probe and drogue effects are on the horizon, too. The reality is what we have, in terms of realistic wakes contrasted to probe and drogue, is plenty good enough to hold us over until they have the capacity to implement such improvements.

Along with Gonky's comments are that it's difficult to fly the DCS hornet because he doesn't "feel" the g forces to know how fast he's going either. The fact is this is a simulation and a desktop consumer simulation at that. We will never match 1:1 to flying the real bird. So just know you're going to have to make compromises.

Finally, no where in the notes or list of features of the Super Carrier module does it say realistic wakes. This is probably because it's a core DCS feature and has nothing to do with the module itself.

• Like 1