Searching for a beginner server to fly the F-5E

Youda

Hello.

I'm learning the F-5E. I finished all the default missions that come with it and i start feeling pretty confident in the air-to-air combat, so i'm looking for an opportunity to start flying in multiplayer.

I'm searching for a server suitable for beginners, with not too much hardcore rules and settings. A server where they will not be angry at me if i mess up. A server, where i can join any time of the day, take off, get shot down a few times and leave without ruining anyone's precisely planned team play.

Do you have any suggestions?

Come fly on the Cold War server. F-5’s are the main Blue fighter, so you’re an integral part of achieving any objectives by flying intercepts and caps etc, plenty of slots available, You sound like you wouldn’t be the least experienced pilot that’s flown on the server, and no one will get annoyed if you mess up, but you’ll also be challenged (and helped by) some really good pilots. 

• Like 1

i7-9700F, 32Gb RAM, RTX 2080 Super, HP Reverb G2.

On 7/4/2021 at 7:44 AM, Grievo said:

Come fly on the Cold War server. F-5’s are the main Blue fighter, so you’re an integral part of achieving any objectives by flying intercepts and caps etc, plenty of slots available, You sound like you wouldn’t be the least experienced pilot that’s flown on the server, and no one will get annoyed if you mess up, but you’ll also be challenged (and helped by) some really good pilots. 

I've been itching to try the Cold War server but, frankly, I'm intimidated - not so much by the flying, but by the complexity of the objectives and forces. I'm mostly an A2A guy - hardly do any A2G missions, so I feel I'll be out of place on a server where the main objectives are A2G. And, since I'm not part of any squadron, I know that "lone wolves" don't survive long on any server and often get in the way of squadron play. Like Youda said, I don't want to be in the way of players who know what they are doing. 

The other things that stops me is my machine (i7-8700, Nvidia 1080GTX, 24GB, Rift S). It's not the worst, but on a crowded server, things become a slideshow (I've flown a few missions on the SoW server and the video is quite choppy, freezing at times, planes drifting up/down/sideways magically, etc.) And the cold war server is even more crowded... But I'm willing to give it a try - hopefully nobody will get too annoyed at me. 🙂

On 7/4/2021 at 9:49 AM, Youda said:

Hello.

I'm learning the F-5E. I finished all the default missions that come with it and i start feeling pretty confident in the air-to-air combat, so i'm looking for an opportunity to start flying in multiplayer.

I'm searching for a server suitable for beginners, with not too much hardcore rules and settings. A server where they will not be angry at me if i mess up. A server, where i can join any time of the day, take off, get shot down a few times and leave without ruining anyone's precisely planned team play.

Do you have any suggestions?

Hi there, look up MVP on discord. High quality servers. we're all really friendly with loads of airframes to choose from and plenty of things and events happening all the time. 🙂

10 hours ago, Doc3908 said:

I've been itching to try the Cold War server but, frankly, I'm intimidated - not so much by the flying, but by the complexity of the objectives and forces. I'm mostly an A2A guy - hardly do any A2G missions, so I feel I'll be out of place on a server where the main objectives are A2G. And, since I'm not part of any squadron, I know that "lone wolves" don't survive long on any server and often get in the way of squadron play. Like Youda said, I don't want to be in the way of players who know what they are doing. 

The other things that stops me is my machine (i7-8700, Nvidia 1080GTX, 24GB, Rift S). It's not the worst, but on a crowded server, things become a slideshow (I've flown a few missions on the SoW server and the video is quite choppy, freezing at times, planes drifting up/down/sideways magically, etc.) And the cold war server is even more crowded... But I'm willing to give it a try - hopefully nobody will get too annoyed at me. 🙂

I wouldn’t worry so much about that. The scenarios may seem complicated at first glance, but the briefing breaks down each aircrafts tasks by type. F-5s main job is to go fight the enemy fighters so the Viggens and the Helicopters can go about their tasks. If anyone is occupying the GCI slot and they want you anywhere in particular, they'll let you know. 

Most of the time pilots fly single ship. But if you tune into SRS you can chat to other pilots and try and work out some teamwork. The server scenarios reward teamwork, especially because not everyone does it. 

But it’s very informal. Once you’ve been on a few times you’ll recognise some familiar faces and feel more comfortable. But don’t be shy about jumping in, the sooner you’re in, the sooner you’ll be comfortable and splashing MiGs left right and centre. 😉 

10 hours ago, Grievo said:

I wouldn’t worry so much about that. The scenarios may seem complicated at first glance, but the briefing breaks down each aircrafts tasks by type. F-5s main job is to go fight the enemy fighters so the Viggens and the Helicopters can go about their tasks. If anyone is occupying the GCI slot and they want you anywhere in particular, they'll let you know. 

Most of the time pilots fly single ship. But if you tune into SRS you can chat to other pilots and try and work out some teamwork. The server scenarios reward teamwork, especially because not everyone does it. 

But it’s very informal. Once you’ve been on a few times you’ll recognise some familiar faces and feel more comfortable. But don’t be shy about jumping in, the sooner you’re in, the sooner you’ll be comfortable and splashing MiGs left right and centre. 😉 

Thanks for the encouragement. I did jump in for a quick flight yesterday. While I was starting up a bunch of F-5s took off. Couldn't figure out how to use SRS (freqs???), so I just took off and flew south along the coast. There was some engagement going on over Gaudata, but it was mostly over by the time I got there - only F5s were in the air. I flew some more then returned to Sochi and landed. The hardest part is iff-ing. As far as I know, the F5 has no iff receiver, so iff is only visual, correct? And unless they are dropping chaff and flares, I need to be real close before I can visually identify them and fire. With WW2 warbirds, that's not really a problem since there are no missiles and I wait until I'm right on top of them before I squeeze the trigger. But with missiles in play and no iff, things become more complicated. I'm using a Rift-S, so no zoom for me... 

Edited by Doc3908

56 minutes ago, Doc3908 said:

Thanks for the encouragement. I did jump in for a quick flight yesterday. While I was starting up a bunch of F-5s took off. Couldn't figure out how to use SRS (freqs???), so I just took off and flew south along the coast. There was some engagement going on over Gaudata, but it was mostly over by the time I got there - only F5s were in the air. I flew some more then returned to Sochi and landed. The hardest part is iff-ing. As far as I know, the F5 has no iff receiver, so iff is only visual, correct? And unless they are dropping chaff and flares, I need to be real close before I can visually identify them and fire. With WW2 warbirds, that's not really a problem since there are no missiles and I wait until I'm right on top of them before I squeeze the trigger. But with missiles in play and no iff, things become more complicated. I'm using a Rift-S, so no zoom for me... 

Oh glad to hear it. SRS is easier than you think. It should automatically log into the server when you join. From there you just use the radio in the cockpit to tune the relevant frequency which you'll find in the mission brief, down near the bottom. For Blue fighters it's usally 256.00 on the ground and 251.00 once you're airborne. In the F-5 just in front of the stick, you have your radio, just switch it on to main (it's off even after auto start up) and tune the frequency, set your PTT (Push to Talk) in the settings section of the SRS window outside DCS.

Once airborne, AWACS and Bogey Dope is usually your best friend for finding the enemy. This also helps with IFF, because you tend to be heading towards a bandit on a certain bearing and height, so you're expecting to see him. Over time though, you'll learn to get a picture of what's going on from other callsigns Bogey Dope calls and the BRA (Bearing Range Altitude) figures AWACS provides them If you ask for a bogey dope and you get a bandit at 350, 30 miles 2000 feet, and then another callsign gets 020 20 miles 200 feet, you can figure that the friendly is off to your 10/11 o'clock about ten miles. I also fly in VR with no zoom, so I feel your pain, but since there are no external views, sneaking up on enemy aircraft and hitting them before they see you is a skill worth acquiring, you also do get better at picking it as you gain experience. The MiG-21's in particular are a nightmare to see out of! The F-5's fox two's are also fairly unreliable unless you're ambushing an unsuspecting target, so you'll find yourself using guns for your kills quite often.

I'm no fighter ace, I tend to like rotary wings and hiding in the weeds, but if you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them. Glad to have you on the server!

Edited by Grievo
clarity

22 hours ago, Templar560 said:

Hi there, look up MVP on discord. High quality servers. we're all really friendly with loads of airframes to choose from and plenty of things and events happening all the time. 🙂

What is your server itself called please?

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.