Returning Simmer... with some used CH Gear

Conuk

Hi all - returning simmer...wow 2004 says I joined the forums.

Have managed to grab a VR (Quest 2) - and grabbed a 2080 Super (for now) to return with.

Sadly I sold my Warthog a while back before the price bumps and availabilty :shocking:  - regretting it now but not going to rush out and get something just yet.

Have dug out my old CH Combat Stick and Pro Throttle. Both I believe are working fine and will do for now.

Had a quick look last night in the F18 and couldnt get the Pitch to work correctly... would go forward but not back 'fully' - am assuming everything works fine as I could see the calibration in th eCH manager software........ but reading a few posts here.... can I ask a few Qs that might save me some time.

Also may have been a setting in DCS that I have missed - just loaded Instant Action and on Ramp.

1 Do I need to have CH manager installed? (running Windows 10)

2 Do I just calibrate in Windows and remove CH Manager?

3 Just assign everything in DCS?

4 Is there a combat stick and pro throttle file that I can load in DCS that has been created to save me even more time - could just tweek from there I guess?

Hoping to get up and running at least - and if I like the VR element may change HOTAS - just not sure yet... although Ive bought enough modules to have bought a new HOTAS!

Thank you in advance.

Hi @Conuk

welcome back.

I use CH for stick, throttle & rudders.

1 Do I need to have CH manager installed? (running Windows 10)

I don’t believe you have to have it installed.  Unless you want to use some of the more advanced programming features

i have it installed and only use it for calibrations.

2 Do I just calibrate in Windows and remove CH Manager?

You could do that. 
I have calibrated using both, not sure which is best or which does a better job. I don’t get that technical.

Why not leave CH manager installed? You may use it one day, maybe not.

3 Just assign everything in DCS?

That’s what I have done. I find using something like CH manager confuses me & it’s quicker to do changes in DCS.

4 Is there a combat stick and pro throttle file that I can load in DCS that has been created to save me even more time - could just tweek from there I guess?

I don’t have the F-18 module, but I’m sure there are plenty of people who do and are willing to help out.

have you tried the User download section on the DCS website? There may be already one on there.

Cheers HB

Edited by Helles Belle

Send lawyers, guns and money......... for the …. has hit the fan.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | RAM: Corsair 32.0GB Dual-Channel | MOBO: ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (AM4) | GPU: MSI G271CQP on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB & Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB for Gaming

CH Fightersick - Pro Throttle - Pro Pedals | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar x 3 | Buddy Fox A-10C UFC

image.jpeg

Calibration in CH Manager*, or DView, DXTweak2 is better that in the "obsolete" (an Win95 leftover) Windows Game controllers calibration, anyway this software is good for a fast test of axes and buttons.

* Manager compensates do diferences between potentiometer "effective electric angle" ~30º and gimbal angle movement, slight more.

Manager keymapper function (macros, scripts) is optional, some Win10 users issues with this module.

Edited by Sokol1_br

I previously downloaded CH control manager , and later uninstalled it , finding the Windows calibration tool and direct-in-DCS bindings adequate . As it has been awhile , i'll remind you to center the pot trimmers before calibrating , and to check them first if you suspect a calibration issue .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

• 5 weeks later...

I ditched the CH software as it just became too flaky with lack of support. I ended up using Joy2Key as I still wanted to be able to have multiple profiles per aircraft like you could in the CH  Software via modes (generally set up 1 each for A-A, A-G and 'normal' flight).  Whilst I had a Combatstick & Pro Throttle as a pair originally, I replaced the Combatstick with a VKB Gunfighter/SCG.  The Pro Throttle I calibrate in Windows, the VKB I use their software (although its extremely rare that it needs recalibration).  Tweaking the Joy2Key profiles for the new stick was quite easy.

2 hours ago, bfr said:

.  The Pro Throttle I calibrate in Windows, the VKB I use their software (although its extremely rare that it needs recalibration).  Tweaking the Joy2Key profiles for the new stick was quite easy.

Just in case, DView or DXTweak provide a better calibration than Windows, allow set dedzones if needed. Bot available there.

On 8/5/2021 at 1:26 AM, Sokol1_br said:

Just in case, DView or DXTweak provide a better calibration than Windows, allow set dedzones if needed. Bot available there.

Cool, i'll give them a try.  Deadzones i've generally managed alongside curves in-game up until now (although one plus with the VKB stick is that it needs minimal dead zones anyway versus the CH stick, which always had slight centring precision issues for me).

Edited by bfr