Are my specs capable for vr ?

Penguinonice27

A while ago I planned on trying to get into dcs, but for a number of reasons I didn’t. I am planning on buying the f-14 Module before the sale ends, but my main question is if my laptop could run it in vr, likely with one of the vr friendly cockpit mods as I know it’s quite hungry

specs include:

headset: Samsung odyssey plus

cpu: mobile i7 9th gen

gpu: mobile gtx 1660ti

ram: 16gb of ddr4 at 2400 mega hrz 

SSD: 280gb of storage

Controls: vr hand controllers and upgraded in the future to something more substantial, probably thrustmaster twcs 

Any responses would be greatly appreciated

Edited by Penguinonice27

With the Oddy, you might be ok , but, you will likely need to lower some settings.. mainly because of your ram and gpu.. your disk space is also small (and you might want to upgrade that if you can)

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Well they should be fine but what I am wondering is if the Laptop has a HDMI that is directly connected to the video card? I thought I read some laptops will not work with VR??

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

21 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

With the Oddy, you might be ok , but, you will likely need to lower some settings.. mainly because of your ram and gpu.. your disk space is also small (and you might want to upgrade that if you can)

I’ll probably get an external disk drive and transfer some files that I don’t need from my laptop to that, the laptop only has an internal 500gb SSD, so that or clear out stuff I don’t need and don’t want, and I agree on the settings.

20 minutes ago, The_Nephilim said:

Well they should be fine but what I am wondering is if the Laptop has a HDMI that is directly connected to the video card? I thought I read some laptops will not work with VR??

The 1660ti is internal so I assume it will work, haven’t tested it yet, but all my other vr games that need a dedicated gpu work fine.

I have been able to do VR on my ancient Alienware laptop, and its 970m is connected to the HDMI port.  Granted, I have only tried it with my old Rift CV1, but it does work.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

18 minutes ago, eaglecash867 said:

I have been able to do VR on my ancient Alienware laptop, and its 970m is connected to the HDMI port.  Granted, I have only tried it with my old Rift CV1, but it does work.

What aircraft did you get to work with it ? I rember reading that aircraft like the tomcat or viggen were more power hungry due to cockpit and flight complexity as opposed to the christen eagle, thou I could be wrong.

Would think it will work but with very low graphic settings.  DCS asking more and more from your machine particularly with clouds + new maps. Mobile GPUs are sub par performance wise vs desktop versions and GTX1660 is older gen so cannot expect too much out of it. Ram <32gb is also quite limiting.  

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

5 hours ago, Brainfreeze said:

Would think it will work but with very low graphic settings.  DCS asking more and more from your machine particularly with clouds + new maps. Mobile GPUs are sub par performance wise vs desktop versions and GTX1660 is older gen so cannot expect too much out of it. Ram <32gb is also quite limiting.  

Would 22 gb of ram be an improvement ? I only have 2 ram slots on my machine so it would cost more than a high end module to get a full 36gb 

1 hour ago, Penguinonice27 said:

Would 22 gb of ram be an improvement ? I only have 2 ram slots on my machine so it would cost more than a high end module to get a full 36gb 

Not sure as I have not tried with ram below 32gb but with that dcs is using it all so would think 16gb will be constraining it. 

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

maps... the newer the map, the higher the unit count, the greater the memory cost .

• Thanks 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

16 hours ago, Penguinonice27 said:

What aircraft did you get to work with it ? I rember reading that aircraft like the tomcat or viggen were more power hungry due to cockpit and flight complexity as opposed to the christen eagle, thou I could be wrong.

Back when I tried it, I pretty much just had the A-10C module.  I don't think the Tomcat or Viggen were even available yet.  It certainly wasn't ideal when I already had a VR-capable desktop rig, but it did work.  My input was geared more toward the uncertainty about the HDMI port and laptop video card.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

On 7/5/2021 at 1:08 PM, eaglecash867 said:

Back when I tried it, I pretty much just had the A-10C module.  I don't think the Tomcat or Viggen were even available yet.  It certainly wasn't ideal when I already had a VR-capable desktop rig, but it did work.  My input was geared more toward the uncertainty about the HDMI port and laptop video card.

I got around to trying the tf-51 in vr and it works great, got the hornet on sale, and starting to train on it today.