[ancient bug] Controls indicator position still blotched in 2021

Hi, 

I've been playing DCS with multiple monitors for about 5 years now, and the controls indicator (the red semi-transparent windows showing the state of your flight controls) position is still broken.

It's been first reported in 2012 (almost 10 years !).

I've been looking into making a mod similar to the one I made for the kneeboard (also broken in multi-monitors btw), but it's too tedious as all the modules have their own controls indicators script, and all are different.

Could this be please fixed at last ?

Thanks !

Zip.

Edited by davidp57

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

• davidp57 changed the title to [ancient bug] Controls indicator position still blotched in 2021

Hi Flappie,

Here it is ; the right part are my external MFD screens, and as you can see the controls indicators are not well placed.

Untitled.jpg

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

As far as I remember, yes.

Although I tried making a screenshot in an A-10C II and I had no controls indicators at all.Untitled.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I came here to raise an issue with the controls indicator but I believe this is the same thing.

I recently added two 7" displays to behave as MFDs. In doing so I increased my resolution to 2560x2040 and created a LUA file to set the center screen and the LEFT/RIGHT_MFCD values. This has caused the controls indicator to increase in size on the Y axis which means it takes up a bigger portion of the screen despite having set my Center display in the LUA file as per the resolution of my primary display.

It seems the controls indicator is scaling to the total resolution and not respecting the Center display resolution. In Russian helicopters this is more obtrusive due to there being two controls indicators (top left and top right).

@BIGNEWYcould the team do something about that, please ?

• ED Team

Please attach your monitor lua I will ask the team to take a look. 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Here, @BIGNEWY, I attached my monitor lua, as requested.

Also, here's a screenshot of my Windows monitors config :

image.png

MFCD right screens - dan.lua

• 3 weeks later...

Same issue here, and it's bugged me for ages but never thought to make a thread for it.

But now there is one I'll toss my hat in too.

Attached is the Physical layout, 2560x1440upper display and 1024x768 in the lower right.

DCS main viewport is on the upper display only with the lower one for exports.

My controls and Autopilot indicators are stretched vertically in this configuration as if their size is based on the overall height.

I'd love to make them smaller, even smaller than default would be great.

Also the AI gunner controls for the Mi8 and UH1 appear on the lower display.

image.png

Helios.lua

R7 3800X - 32Gig RAM -- All SSD -- GTX1070 -- TM Warthog, MFG Crosswinds & TiR

Hi @BIGNEWY, did you get my config ? Is it good enough for the team to have a look ?

• 6 months later...

Hi @BIGNEWY, can you please give us a status report ?

• ED Team

Hi, 

sorry for overlooking this. 

I just tried to reproduce but it seemed normal for me. 

Granted it has been a long time since I used multi monitor and exporting am I missing the point here?

Screen_220405_125924.png

Screen_220405_132121.png

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 5 months later...

Hi @BIGNEWY !

Sorry, I missed your answer, it's been a while since I last came on the forums.

It's weird that you don't have the same problem with your setup. Maybe it's because of the placement of my secondary screens ? They are on the right, as can be seen in this post.

I'd be happy to help the dev team find the problem and correct it, if you tell me what to try and where to report.

Kind regards,

David.

• 1 month later...
On 9/18/2022 at 10:17 PM, davidp57 said:

Hi @BIGNEWY !

Sorry, I missed your answer, it's been a while since I last came on the forums.

It's weird that you don't have the same problem with your setup. Maybe it's because of the placement of my secondary screens ? They are on the right, as can be seen in this post.

I'd be happy to help the dev team find the problem and correct it, if you tell me what to try and where to report.

Kind regards,

David.

Try replacing these at the bottom of your config file
GU_MAIN_VIEWPORT = Viewports.Center
UIMainView = Viewports.Center

with

GU_MAIN_VIEWPORT =
{
x = 0;
y = 0;
width = 3440;
height = 1440;
}

UIMainView = 
{
x = 0;
y = 0;
width = 3440;
height = 1440;
}

This will definitively set the bounds of the UI viewports.

Hi @jonsky7, thanks for replying.

The code you provided does exactly the same thing than mine.

Just to be sure, I tried, and as expected I have the same problem.

Thank you anyway !

Is the resolution in the settings set to 4464x1536 ?

I tried your config and got this

Screen_221120_221806.jpg

Screen_221120_222904.jpg

My displays = Two 2560x1440 and one 1920x1080

displays.jpg

But I think the problem lies in the code for the controls indicator, we had a similar issue with Petrovich and George at release in that they were referencing the total aspect ratio, and not the centre viewport

The Mi-24p ControlsIndicator_page.lua says 

local aspect        = LockOn_Options.screen.aspect
local size          = 0.15
local tex_scale     = 0.25/size
local line_width    = (4.5/512)/tex_scale

and does not reference the ui_main view like Petrovich now does

HelperAI_page_common.lua

local total_aspect  = LockOn_Options.screen.aspect
	local total_w 		= LockOn_Options.screen.width
	local total_h 		= LockOn_Options.screen.height
	local ULX,ULY,SZX,SZY,GUI_scale = get_UIMainView()

Edited by jonsky7
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a multimonitor setup, with a 3840x2160 above a 1920x1080.  The default Controls Indicator generally never appears anywhere on screen for me, and I have to modify the ControlsIndicator_page.lua for every mod to change the base.init_pos as follows:

base.init_pos       = {0,0.5} --  {0,-(1 - 1.5*size)}

This sets the indicator in the middle-left of the main screen, for me.

The kneeboard is also poorly positioned, being partially off-screen in the lower-right corner - but at least I can drag that into view.