Tanker Tracks Template (real-world)

Nealius

Using the 36th Wing publication 13-204, I've tried to recreate the three tanker tracks around the Marianas according to the diagrams, navfix coordinates, descriptions, and frequencies from pages 88-90. The navfixes are represented by trigger zones. I have also added three tankers starting from their IP points, on station for 2 hours at FL200/270KIAS, using the real world freqs when possible. I have not tested the freqs/beacons, but everything else works. These aren't exact, as I don't know how far the tanker's turn radius goes. Freqs and callsigns are in the briefing.

NOTE: If you change the KC-135s to another tanker, the waypoint speeds will reset to 430KTAS and waypoint 0 will get an "Activate TACAN" command. Change the speeds to your required KTAS to get 270KCAS at your desired altitude and delete the extra "Activate TACAN" command on waypoint 0.

The three tanker tracks are:

LUXOR ~160nm Soutwest of Guam

MIRAGE ~15nm North-northeast of FDM range. 

RIO ~120nm South of Guam

Explanation of trigger zone names:

AREN - Air Refuel Entry (point)

AREX - Air Refuel Exit (point)

ARIP - Air Refuel Initial Point

ARCP - Air Refuel Control Point 

LUXOR/MIRAGE/RIO - (denoted in red) Advanced Waypoint Action "Orbit" begins

Hh1xgJO.png

5gXliC8.png

Marianas Tanker Tracks.miz

Edited by Nealius
  • Thanks 4

• 1 month later...
On 7/5/2021 at 12:12 PM, Nealius said:

Using the 36th Wing publication 13-204, I've tried to recreate the three tanker tracks around the Marianas according to the diagrams, navfix coordinates, descriptions, and frequencies from pages 88-90. The navfixes are represented by trigger zones. I have also added three tankers starting from their IP points, on station for 2 hours at FL200/270KIAS, using the real world freqs when possible. I have not tested the freqs/beacons, but everything else works. These aren't exact, as I don't know how far the tanker's turn radius goes. Freqs and callsigns are in the briefing.

NOTE: If you change the KC-135s to another tanker, the waypoint speeds will reset to 430KTAS and waypoint 0 will get an "Activate TACAN" command. Change the speeds to your required KTAS to get 270KCAS at your desired altitude and delete the extra "Activate TACAN" command on waypoint 0.

RIO ~120nm South of Guam

Hh1xgJO.png

5gXliC8.png

Marianas Tanker Tracks.miz 9.46 kB · 15 downloads

Thank you, it's always nice to have real world references 

• Like 1

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

• 2 months later...
On 7/5/2021 at 6:12 AM, Nealius said:

RIO ~120nm South of Guam

Hh1xgJO.png

5gXliC8.png

Marianas Tanker Tracks.miz 9.46 kB · 21 downloads

Looks familiar ... but those are just the Anchor Tracks.

I don't need no stinkin' GPS! (except for PGMs :D) :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm not entirely sure. I don't recall "Anchor Tracks" being mentioned in the source document. The wording and diagram made it seem like the straights of the racetrack pattern run from the named fix to the ARCP. 

Or is the fix the anchor, with the straights running from ARIP to ARCP?

Edited by Nealius

2 hours ago, Nealius said:

I'm not entirely sure. I don't recall "Anchor Tracks" being mentioned in the source document. The wording and diagram made it seem like the straights of the racetrack pattern run from the named fix to the ARCP. 

Or is the fix the anchor, with the straights running from ARIP to ARCP?

Generally speaking, there are two types of refueling areas: tracks and anchors. Factors such as receiver mission and routing, number and routing of tankers, offload quantity required, receiver number and type, weather, time constraints, and availability of airspace determine which type is used. AAR along a designated AR track, (usually run in a linear flight path hundreds of miles long), is the preferred method for intertheater refueling. AR Tracks are typically named "AR-XXX", where XXX is a numerical designation like AR-800 near Guam. Normally, tracks have a designated AREN, ARIP, ARCP and AREX, as do Anchor Tracks. AR Tracks are used when receiver aircraft are required to maintain a predetermined aspect to an objective area. AR tracks are best when either tanker or receiver performance would be impacted by multiple turns. Example would be B-52 and C-5 AAR.

In Anchor Tracks, the tanker flies a racetrack pattern within a defined protected airspace, approximately 70-100 NM long, while waiting for receiver aircraft to arrive. Once joined, the tanker flies an expanded racetrack orbit while refueling occurs still within the Anchor Track protected Airspace. AR Tracks are typically named by a "nickname", like RIO and LUXOR near Guam.  Anchor Track refueling is normally used for intratheater operations where airspace is confined or where receivers need to operate from a central location. Anchor areas are best suited for fighter or highly maneuverable aircraft.  I have a few tanker hours under my belt ... 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I see. I'm not quite smart enough to visualize the application on the map 🤪 

There might be some missing information somewhere, and I wish I could post the diagrams I used but that breaks rule 1.16 since the pub is from 2015. 

Basically the diagram shows, for MIRAGE, an orbit symbol that extends from ARCP down to a point between ARCP and ARIP, just like the diagram I made; orbit symbol being where the red circle is. There's some info like racetrack length 30nm long 15nm wide etc., then GPS coords for the entry/exit/ARIP/ARCP positions. Then there's "closed random points," 6 of them, which I have no clue what they are. For some reason the document doesn't explain much and just throws these schematics in there.

If I understand the Anchor Track, they would orbit in that defined red circle space while waiting for receiving aircraft, then when joined they expand that orbit to possibly cover the entire area between ARCP and ARIP?

Edited by Nealius

3 hours ago, Nealius said:

I see. I'm not quite smart enough to visualize the application on the map 🤪 

I guess one way to look it at is anchor are like what is described in the document, when you have defined areas that the tanker just orbits in, and tracks would be something more like an air corridor.

3 hours ago, Nealius said:

If I understand the Anchor Track, they would orbit in that defined red circle space while waiting for receiving aircraft, then when joined they expand that orbit to possibly cover the entire area between ARCP and ARIP?

In the document, as I understand it, when the tanker reaches its ARCP it simply makes an orbit the traces out a rectangle as you described.

As for the closed random points, I'm fairly sure they're just the boundaries of special use airspace the tanker tracks are assigned to, as described on page 77 on the document.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

https://www.japcc.org/aar/

AAR Track - A track designated for AAR.

Anchor Refuelling - AAR performed as the tanker(s) maintain a prescribed pattern which is anchored to a geographical point or fix (See RVs Alpha and Echo).

ATP-56 is the Air Refueling Bible. It is the standard everyone who uses takers adheres to in the interest of safety and joint operations.

https://www.daip.jcs.mil/pdf/ap1b.pdf

AP1B provided the specific planning information for established tracks and Military Training Routes.

Edited by Sierra99
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

3 hours ago, Sierra99 said:

https://www.japcc.org/aar/

AAR Track - A track designated for AAR.

Anchor Refuelling - AAR performed as the tanker(s) maintain a prescribed pattern which is anchored to a geographical point or fix (See RVs Alpha and Echo).

ATP-56 is the Air Refueling Bible. It is the standard everyone who uses takers adheres to in the interest of safety and joint operations.

https://www.daip.jcs.mil/pdf/ap1b.pdf

AP1B provided the specific planning information for established tracks and Military Training Routes.

Hey Boom!  Long time no see.  Gotta have a CAC for the .MIL site ...

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/10/2021 at 2:05 PM, Backy 51 said:

Hey Boom!  Long time no see.  Gotta have a CAC for the .MIL site ...

Thanks Backy...

Been a long year for a variety of reasons...but things are getting better.

ya shouldn't need a CAC Card to get to that site...I know I did t use one. 

That being said, if the link doesn't work, anyone looking try Googling "ATP-56".

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

13 hours ago, Sierra99 said:

Thanks Backy...

Been a long year for a variety of reasons...but things are getting better.

ya shouldn't need a CAC Card to get to that site...I know I did t use one. 

That being said, if the link doesn't work, anyone looking try Googling "ATP-56".

No worries ... probably a Microsoft Edge glitch ... Chrome let me in.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...
On 7/5/2021 at 1:12 PM, Nealius said:

Using the 36th Wing publication 13-204, I've tried to recreate the three tanker tracks around the Marianas according to the diagrams, navfix coordinates, descriptions, and frequencies from pages 88-90.

I wonder if they're still using these tracks nowadays, with most ATCAA areas had been reshaped and reworked circa 2018-19.

Screenshot - Tue 08 Feb 22 , 15_15_53.png

Edited by Minsky

Dima | My DCS uploads