Can the Su25 land on a road?

Hi folks.  I'm hoping you can help me with something.

I've just about finished building the follow up to Abkhazian Antics 1 which ends at a hastily built FARP in northern Georgia.

The Gazelle & Harrier have no problem landing there, but I haven't been able to successfully land there with the Frogfoot.

I'm guessing that either it's not possible and I should just stick to runways with the Froggie, or I'm just a really poor Frogfoot pilot.  Either are possible, but I'd like to know if anyone's managed to successfully land (& then turn round, re-arm, and take-off) on a road.

This isn't a major 4 lane highway - I couldn't find any suitable in the part of Georgia I wanted to use, so it's just a regular 2 lane road.

Another issue is getting close enough to the FARP vehicles to re-arm & re-fuel.  They're by the side of the road, but the odds are, you'll need to turn around on the grass, which seems a tad tricky for the Frogfoot's poor undercarriage.

Anyone managed to land on a regular road in a Su25T (unarmed apart from cannon, low fuel) and be in a good enough condition to take off again?

The mission I'm building at the moment requires a few take offs & landings at the FARP, but if it's not possible, I'll move the Frogfoot base to Batumi instead.

On 7/5/2021 at 11:03 AM, HedgeSlammer said:

…Anyone managed to land on a regular road in a Su25T (unarmed apart from cannon, low fuel) and be in a good enough condition to take off again?…

Landing is possible on roads and grass but it’s likely that anything done on the grass—even leaving the road to turn—will damage steering. Jump to time 2:30.

Edited by Ironhand
  • Thanks 1

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Thanks Razo+r - maybe I need to search around the Georgia map for some bigger roads, the little 2 lane one I'm using is fine for the Harrier, but a bit narrow for me to keep the Frogfoot on when landing - although I really am a shockingly bad Frogfoot pilot!

3 hours ago, HedgeSlammer said:

Cheers Ironhand - that pretty much confirms what I'd found over many attempted landings.  Still, gives me an opportunity to play with creating a wrecked airbase for the Frogfoot to operate from - those pesky Abkhazians! 😲

For road/grass landings you need to be both precise and gentle. At least on roads you won't trash your steering. Here's a quick sample road landing TRK. Hopefully it'll play back correctly. Videos take much too long to upload given my internet.

Su-25T Road Landing.trk

• Thanks 1

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

4 hours ago, LeVince said:

Share the.miz with a picture of the road. It could be the new viral challenge😀 . By the way it’s easier with Su-25A than T

🙂 Not much of a challenge really but you already have the miz in the trk file, if you want to try it. Just take control. You start on the reciprocal with the road off to your left. Once you’ve extended far enough, the offset is enough to allow a 30 degree ( more or less) bank in a left descending turn. The water tower marks the touchdown point. With the chute, you’ll stop in time to watch the cows.

Many things are easier in the A.

Edited by Ironhand

_____

It is time that ED would fix the grass things.

On the spring and summer time you could land on fields with planes that were designed for it, like Su-25 or MiG-21Bis etc.

As those field are prepared for the crops and are flat and hard.

At the autumn time they should become too soft because moisture and rains. As well being cultivated for next spring, so they are unusable over the winter time.

On summer and spring time weather should play their part, in heavy rain you couldn't as soil gets too soft. In summer time takes longer but at autumn it is quickly so. Light rain extends time or doesn't affect on summer time.

Then finally add a preparation for engineers to flatten those fields, install metal mesh or sand them to make hardened strips.

Then in airbases you could roll over the taxi way and not get stuck as those are prepared fields. At the end of the runway there can be in some locations softer area for emergency landings. 

But soft gentle, slow speed rolling is different than coming at high speed.

And sanded areas where is soft sand the effect is same, you can get stuck at first but engines full will push you through. Like has been seen with A-10 fully loaded landing and take-off on 20 cm deep sand where tires gets covered by sand and does nicely taxi away.

I don't know how in Caucasus they build roads, but if anything smart then there is hardened area 2-4 meters from the pavement and you don't dip in.

On dry seasons those areas outside gets very different than at rainy seasons.

And roads don't make any difference really.

ED would really help a lot to make vehicles as well difficult to move across forests and non fielded areas, especially wheeled ones. Just so that roads would be really preferred routes for tactically and strategically.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 2 months later...

I know this is old, and I really shouldn't get involved in this conspiratorial mindset, but I want to comment on something that highlights how ridiculous these ''Russia planes stronk land in grass'' threads are.

On 7/12/2021 at 4:07 AM, Fri13 said:

On the spring and summer time you could land on fields with planes that were designed for it, like Su-25 or MiG-21Bis etc.

No, they can't because

As those field are prepared for the crops and are flat and hard.

No, they aren't. Farm fields are PREPARED by being regularly tilled up, in other words LOOSE SOFT SOIL. You have GOT to be some city slicker that never goes outside.

At the autumn time they should become too soft because moisture and rains. As well being cultivated for next spring, so they are unusable over the winter time.

If anything, they would be hardest during the winter, when it's cold and relatively dry. They would still be very rough and unsuitable, though, because... THEY'RE TILLED FIELDS. What do you think those tractors are doing driving back and forth? Packing it in? Crops won't grow in packed soil.

On summer and spring time weather should play their part, in heavy rain you couldn't as soil gets too soft.

Exactly right. Loose, tilled soil that is also moist would be extremely unsuitable.

Then finally add a preparation for engineers to flatten those fields, install metal mesh or sand them to make hardened strips.

This is what is done ANY time you see aircraft taking off of ''dirt'' strips. That is packed, prepared ground. After the 1940s the gross weight of most military aircraft became far too high for landing/takeoff in ditches.

Then in airbases you could roll over the taxi way and not get stuck as those are prepared fields.

No, they're not. They paved certain parts for a reason, and generally only a moron (or a plane with a mechanical failure) will run off the paved part into the ditch anyway, in which case the plane will typically be stuck and be pulled out. 

At the end of the runway there can be in some locations softer area for emergency landings. 

You can watch multiple videos of planes running off the end of the runway. IN RUSSIA.  WITH RUSSIAN PLANES. And being completely trashed. Offhand I have seen videos of MiG-23s, Su-34s, and Tu-22s all getting ditched. A multi-ton plane on high tricycle gear is a very poor offroad vehicle, extremely top heavy even under ideal conditions.

But soft gentle, slow speed rolling is different than coming at high speed.

Soft soil is soft soil. You're less likely to destroy the plane, but that doesn't mean it won't still get stuck.

And sanded areas where is soft sand the effect is same, you can get stuck at first but engines full will push you through.

I saw a guy like you once going through a drive through hit the sign and come to halt then downshift and push on in! Because OBVIOUSLY the thing to do when your vehicle unexpectedly comes to halt is GIVE IT MORE POWER.

Any pilot that responded to ''my plane is stuck because I just ran off the road'' with ''engines to full'' should be drug out of his plane and shot.

Like has been seen with A-10 fully loaded landing and take-off on 20 cm deep sand where tires gets covered by sand and does nicely taxi away.

I'm inclined to think this is probably a fluke or bogus.

I don't know how in Caucasus they build roads

Probably the same way roads are usually built.

, but if anything smart then there is hardened area 2-4 meters from the pavement and you don't dip in.

That is rarely ever the case, even here in the USA. They harden just enough to prevent the ground from washing out from under the road. In many cases even the PAVED shoulders are not able to support heavy weight like tractor trailers... because... that's what the ROAD is for.

And roads don't make any difference really.

Surrrrrreeee... whatever you say, buddy. In Soviet Russia, ditch gets stuck in YOU!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

• 3 weeks later...
  • ED Team
On 7/14/2021 at 1:53 AM, pepin1234 said:

they will not change or improve anything about russians. They leave all so weak on purpose. 

Talking nonsense. 

@Mars Exulte keep the conversation civil no need for the smart comments. 

• Like 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Also yes dirt fields are usable, all depends on the Pathfinders ability to find suitable area's  Plus Environmental time of year should make it vary.  So yes Dcs has had issues with sticky ground for years,  matter of fact think it was an issue even back in Blackshark beta days but we didnt have all these airframes back then anyways.

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/13/2021 at 4:38 AM, Enduro14 said:

Also yes dirt fields are usable, all depends on the Pathfinders ability to find suitable area's 

They are - & are in game - you just have to find somewhere flat.

Tried in the N of Syria - thought I'd found a straight road with no power-poles, but it turns out it's dirt with a road texture over it (See the dust kicking up)

(Damn - just saw Ironhand has already posted. Oh well, made the track, posting anyway.)

Screen_211121_165013.jpg

Screen_211121_165018.jpg

Screen_211121_165127.jpg

Screen_211121_165237.jpg

Screen_211121_165253.jpg

Cheers.