Does Reverb G2 require Steam?

Hi!

I've been away from the VR market for a while. I currently have an Oculus Rift S but it's old tech now and I would like to upgrade to something a little more capable. Having trawled through various posts, it seems that the G2 would be a good upgrade.

I currently only use the non-steam beta version of DCS and I'm a little confused as to whether or not the G2 requires Steam, as SteamVR always seems to be mentioned in the same sentence! Or, does it run with Windows mixed reality portal, which I presume replaces the horrible Oculus app?

Yours confused...

Luke

CPU: Intel i9 13900KS @5.8GHz | MB: ROG Strix Z790 Gaming-E | GPU: Asus ROG Strix RTX3090 OC | RAM: 32Gb Corsair Dominator DDR5 @6200MHz | Cooling: Custom CPU/GPU cooling loop | PSU: Supernova 850G2 @ 850W | OS: Windows 10 Home Premium 64Bit
Storage: 3x Samsung EVO 970 Plus M.2 1Tb + 3x Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250Gb | Input: TM HOTAS WH Saitek Combat Pedals | Output: Samsung 50" OLED TV | VR: HP Reverb G2 | Audio: Realtek + Z906 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System

Yes the Reverb G2 requires Steam VR along with Windows Mixed Reality. You will need to have Steam installed to get Steam VR.

Has nothing to do with the game itself being tied to Steam. You can also add DCS to your Steam Library if you want, but does not go through Steam like the Steam version of DCS would.

I use stand alone DCS almost daily with Steam VR. Did it with my Reverb G2 and now with my Vive Pro 2.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Hey Luke,

I switched from the Rift S to the G2. The G2 is much better, it was worth it.

Now to your question, which I had also asked myself. You don't need a Steam version of DCS! You can use DCS open beta or stable as you would do normally. If I remember correctly, the Steam VR portal starts in the background, but you can use games like DCS that were not purchased or installed via Steam without any problems.

PC: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming | AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Palit GeForce RTX 4090 Game Rock OC | 64 GB Patriot VIPER VENOM DDR5-6000

Input: Brunner CLS-E FFB Base | Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick & Throttle | Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder | WinWing Phoenix MIP (VR) - F16 ICP - PTO2 | VPC SharKA-50 Collective 

VR: HP Reverb G2

Motion-Platform: Motionsystems PS-6TM-150 | Monstertech MTX

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@madmontys6dofmotionplatfor386/featured

Hey Luke,

I switched from the Rift S to the G2. The G2 is much better, it was worth it.

Now to your question, which I had also asked myself. You don't need a Steam version of DCS! You can use DCS open beta or stable as you would do normally. If I remember correctly, the Steam VR portal starts in the background, but you can use games like DCS that were not purchased or installed via Steam without any problems.

Yes the Reverb G2 requires Steam VR along with Windows Mixed Reality. You will need to have Steam installed to get Steam VR.

Has nothing to do with the game itself being tied to Steam. You can also add DCS to your Steam Library if you want, but does not go through Steam like the Steam version of DCS would.

I use stand alone DCS almost daily with Steam VR. Did it with my Reverb G2 and now with my Vive Pro 2.

Great stuff, thanks for the information.
Now, I just have to find one at a decent price in the UK!

CPU: Intel i9 13900KS @5.8GHz | MB: ROG Strix Z790 Gaming-E | GPU: Asus ROG Strix RTX3090 OC | RAM: 32Gb Corsair Dominator DDR5 @6200MHz | Cooling: Custom CPU/GPU cooling loop | PSU: Supernova 850G2 @ 850W | OS: Windows 10 Home Premium 64Bit
Storage: 3x Samsung EVO 970 Plus M.2 1Tb + 3x Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250Gb | Input: TM HOTAS WH Saitek Combat Pedals | Output: Samsung 50" OLED TV | VR: HP Reverb G2 | Audio: Realtek + Z906 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System

One more thing that you need to download from Steam for the G2 is called "Windows Mixed Reality for Steam VR".  It creates the bridge between SteamVR and the WMR application that the G2 uses by default.

As the others have said already, no need to get the Steam version of DCS.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

• 9 months later...

Top stuff folks - I had the same question.  So, if I can find a G2, as I understand things I open Steam VR, this runs in the background, and then I launch my standalone stable version of DCS?  When do I put on the headset - before doing this? I also understand I can get by without the controllers and use the mouse.  Thoughts?

Thanks folks,

D Spankle

11 minutes ago, drspankle said:

Top stuff folks - I had the same question.  So, if I can find a G2, as I understand things I open Steam VR, this runs in the background, and then I launch my standalone stable version of DCS?  When do I put on the headset - before doing this? I also understand I can get by without the controllers and use the mouse.  Thoughts?

Thanks folks,

D Spankle

Things have moved on recently. You now no longer need SteamVR for DCS. You can use OpenXR instead for several notable benefits, have a look the OpenXR quick start thread and tuning thread in this forum for some extra info. 

To answer your question though you can launch SteamVR then DCS and then put on your headset. There's ways to launch DCS from within SteamVR though if you want. It doesn't matter much.

Edited by Jive

Don't get confused... DCS only speaks two "languages."  Oculus, and Steam.  The G2 doesn't speak either one, so it has to use one or more translators to convert Steamish into something it understands.   

Most people these days are currently using OpenXR as the "translator."  You still have to tell DCS to use the SteamVR "API" meaning for all intents and purposes, DCS thinks it's talking to SteamVR, but any more you don't even have to install SVR etc if you don't want (and believe me, you don't want to)

So, there are two sets of instructions.  In Thud's article about "Nailing Your G2 Setup" you'll see the definitive guide to using SVR/WMR, which is the old way.  That requires... well, a lot of stuff running in the background.   This post gives you the alternative, and presently favored approach, which doesn't require anything running in the background

Skatezilla's "updater" app is highly recommended.  You'll set Skatezilla to use the SVR API, even if you haven't even installed SteamVR.  

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder