River crossing mission

Dickie

• 2 months later...

Are you asking ground crew to remove the wheel chocks first? They're placed at the start of this mission, it's a cold/dark start

Fractal Define R4 Case | Core i7-9700K @ 4.9GHz| 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi | Gigabyte RTX3080 Gaming OC 12GB | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD (OS) | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD (DCS) | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD (Steam library) | 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD | Corsair 750W Gold PSU | Corsair H60 Hydro Series CPU Cooler | [TrackIR 5 unused] | Meta Quest Pro | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Win 10 Home 64-bit | Asus PG348Q 34" 3440x1440 Monitor | Bose Companion 3 2.1 Sound

• 2 years later...

Reviving this thread: I've been trying to do this mission. I'm fresh out of the training missions on the Harrier.

The vertical take-off is surprisingly difficult, the plane would barely lift off the pad, no way to establish a hover at 50 ft and then transition, I have to start transitioning uncomfortably close to the ground.

Also, what is the good tactical approach here? I suppose I have to go back to the pad? I tried going back to the airfield and come back with a heavy aircraft but a lot of bad this gs happened when I was away.

3 hours ago, Delta-canard said:

The vertical take-off is surprisingly difficult, the plane would barely lift off the pad, no way to establish a hover at 50 ft and then transition, I have to start transitioning uncomfortably close to the ground.

You'll want to VTOL with about 20,700lb, so a couple of IR Mavericks, 2x Sidearms or AIM-9's and ~40% fuel.

Another option is to VTOL to the grass strip next to pads and STOL with a slightly heavier loadout - not sure how well it works with the newer performance changes though.

3 hours ago, Delta-canard said:

... what is the good tactical approach here? I suppose I have to go back to the pad?

Yes, short relays from the FARP.

The mission can be quite "fun" but frustrate as it immediately ends if Redfor cross the river - so I edited my version to continue after the loss condition (enabling more practice/fun and a chance to see the full out come).

I haven't played the mission since the Harrier was updated - so things the hot spot detector and APKWS might work well ?

This 2018 video is old and so has Mav and TPOD on LH and RH MFD's, etc. (features since fixed to be more realistic) but might help plan.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

You still get equipped with 2x Irma, 2x sidearm and a tpod. I usually manage to destroy the tank with the mav, getting the shilka with either the second mav or the sidearm is more tricky. Last time I went to the airfield to get myself full fuel, GBUs and apkws... But the Russian helps arrived before I could rejoin the fight and I still only had sidearms.

On 10/14/2023 at 10:24 PM, Delta-canard said:

But the Russian helps arrived before I could rejoin the fight and I still only had sidearms.

You can try with this edited mission that IIRC gives more time between enemy waves but it's still pretty difficult as we're limited to 20,500 lbs VTO's and have about 1,000 lbs less fuel than in 2018.

APKWS is available at the FARP which might help.

Spoiler

Changes to original "River Crossing" mission
----------------------------------------------
OAT reduced to 15C
Initial loadout reduced to 2x IRMAV, no TGP
Increased timers
RU Tank Platoon WP0 Disperse Under Fire = OFF
(to stop tanks fording river after bridge is destroyed)
Shilka briefing images added
Mission Ends 70 min after loss allowing more play time

Notes
The briefing underestimates how long it takes for reinforcements to arrive (it takes 2 hrs) and for blue to "win".

AV8B Fire Brigade - River Defense, 20231015.miz

Edited by Ramsay
Add change log for difference to original mission
  • Thanks 2

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

12 hours ago, Ramsay said:

we're limited to 20,500 lbs VTO's and have about 1,000 lbs less fuel than in 2018.

APKWS is available at the FARP which might help.

AV8B Fire Brigade - River Defense, 20231015.miz 3.13 MB · 0 downloads

Thanks so much! Will definitely try this.

So that explains why in your video (great one! Your channel deserves more views) you spend more time over the target than what I was able to do.

On 10/15/2023 at 3:08 PM, Delta-canard said:

Will definitely try this.

I'm still testing - with fuel so tight, I'm thinking

1. Initial response *might* be with 2x IRMAV's and no TPOD, etc. for max fuel (IIRC ~33%) @ 20,500 lb VTO

To take out the tank/bridge using the DMT/IRMAV and 1x Shilka

2. Then rearm with 1x APKS pods, 4x AIM-9M and the TPOD (or perhaps 1x APKS pod and the Canon, etc.)

To take out the other Shilka and deal with other threats as needed/tasked.

On 10/15/2023 at 3:08 PM, Delta-canard said:

... that explains why in your video you spend more time over the target

Yeah, I think it was about 1000lb ingress + 1000lb egress = ~1000lb on station plus a little reserve.

The "fun" part is trying to find solutions that work.

Edited by Ramsay