Max altitude achieved…?

rkk01

Flew the Anton from Turkey to Cyprus today…

Crossing the sea I thought I’d see how high I could get the aircraft - which became very unstable at a shade below 9000m.

Does this seem about right? I note published ceiling is a bit over 10000m, so not far off

• Like 1

Consider that the max altitude you can get to will have variables:

- pressure density altitude: if it's colder weather, you can get higher performance from the engines, propeller and wings, than if it's hot and humid. So your flight might have been in warmer weather than acheived during the test referenced for the published celiing.

- fuel loadout. The lighter your fuel load, the higher you can climb. Maybe you had more fuel than during the published test.

- cargo/payload/ordnance loadout. The obvious part is the weight of your ammo belts, any rockets or bombs. Less obvious is if any special pylons are installed, even if not carrying ordnance, will slightly increase drag, which might cap the altitude you can get to. I'm guessing the published test probably was done without ammunition, pylons/mounts or ordnance.

- sometimes in war, a unit's published capability might be "altered" to conceal a greater capability, or might be inflated to keep the enemy from exploiting a weakness. I doubt that's what's going on here, but anyway!

- minor changes in settings can affect such performance. Maybe running too rich, maybe the prop pitch is off slightly (I'm speaking generally here, not Anton-specific), trim slightly off, weight and balance at the time of altitude.

What is max alt anyway, service ceiling is not max alt you can go higher.

Service ceiling is alt at which plane has less then 100 ft/min climb or 50 cant remember exactly, it depend on country which developed the plane.

Any way reaching this service ceiling  require very gentle flying, plane is very unstable at this alt, forget about anything, you can just fly straight there.

I haven't tested Anton, i tested P-51 i managed to reach above 43k ft in this, it took a long time to do it.

My way of doing it, is to stop climb at about 40k gain as much speed as possible in level flight so i get more boost from ram air and start climbing again.

Ofc max rpm max throttle 🙂 if anyone expect to get P-51 to 43k at climb power 🙂

Edited by grafspee
  • Thanks 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Interesting…

In the Anton, engine power and IAS didn’t seem to be a problem, but the aircraft became aerodynamically unstable - shaking, uncontrollable roll and pitch.  Speaks volumes about the FM etc

IAS was 600kph. I guess this was the “edge of the envelope”, or would it be “coffin corner” in something like an Anton?

(always assumed this more related to early jets)

1 hour ago, rkk01 said:

In the Anton, engine power and IAS didn’t seem to be a problem, but the aircraft became aerodynamically unstable - shaking, uncontrollable roll and pitch.  Speaks volumes about the FM etc

You just described stall. First you feel buffet = plane shakes then one of the wings drops, at high power you will experience high pitch up tendency as well.

If your speed gauge shows 600kph at high alt this mean that your pitot is frozen or damaged and IAS speed is wrong.

🙂

Edited by grafspee
  • Like 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Yep, stall was very evident, but interestingly was either wing, not the typical left wing drop

Was slightly disbelieving of the speed..!

frozen pitot would explain as ASI was ok again at lower alt

600 kph at 9000m would give 1100 kph tas so it would be pretty quick 😛

If you were stalling, speed could be below 200 kph ias.

I doubt that Anton is capable of +300IAS kph at 9000m

Edited by grafspee

• 7 months later...

I got the Anton to just shy of 41.200 feet in a sustained climb.  Was a bit surprised about that actually.

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index