The R-60s.

Fenin

I fully understand they'll get here when they get here, but I'm personally curious about other bits and bobs of their integration into the Hind itself.

Mostly if the systems for selecting the R-60 are already in the cockpit, and if anyone knows what the procedure will be for selecting them.  I can only assume they share wiring with some of the inner pylons and when in use are piggy backing on some electronics.  Do they use the Spirals wiring for the inner pylons?  I'd like to know.

We certainly have pictures of them on the helicopter, but I've been able to find next to no info beyond that and some vague comments about them used for airspace policing and lobbing at trucks at night in Afghanistan.

I suppose my questions are as follows.

• Are all the electronics for using the R-60s already in place in the cockpit?
  • If so, does anyone know the procedure for selecting the R-60s once they are added?  Is it already a practicable action flow?
  • Is the boresight line of the R-60s already known?  Do they line up with the guns boresight?
  • What is the minimum altitude they are going to be able to be launched from?  Will it be a concern that you are too low and they may ground strike?  I'm almost certain there won't be, but I want to be sure. 

They're probably much along the lines of the implementation in the Su25, given that it's basically the same sight and weapon? Maybe an extra switch to enable them, with the weapon selector on 'Off', or another rotary position (unlikely)? Get a tone, fire....something along that line. I'm guessing, sorry. But yeah, the Su25 is probably the closest example. Boresighted to the normal sight, and they come off the rails quickly (very little, if any, initial drop, so may be able to fired quite low).

I have a feeling that they will be piggy backed on Shturm pylons, and I wonder if they may or may not preclude using them both at the same time. Or perhaps they will use wing pylons only, and in that case will probably won't be compatible with most unguided weapons.

I really wish we could get them before whole IR remodeling happening. They'll add a good bit of variety to Mi-24's capabilities even in current implementation 🙂

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

5 hours ago, WinterH said:

I have a feeling that they will be piggy backed on Shturm pylons, and I wonder if they may or may not preclude using them both at the same time. Or perhaps they will use wing pylons only, and in that case will probably won't be compatible with most unguided weapons.

I really wish we could get them before whole IR remodeling happening. They'll add a good bit of variety to Mi-24's capabilities even in current implementation 🙂

Yeah I understand the whole reason we aren't getting them but damn there's already been a few times they'd have saved my ass

I don't see why we couldn't get them before the remodeling.  It doesn't matter for their current capability, and it seems likely that, while they were used a lot for air to ground search and light vehicle attack, they were probably originally integrated to the airframe as a self defense option.  They would still work for that in DCS in the meantime, and it's pretty relevant right now in the MP environment at least since most of the PVE missions that include anything useful for helicopters have issues with hostile aircraft being about.  It's been a huge blocker for me doing much with the Hind outside of some quick actions.

I don't recall if anyone from ED has said anything about the remodel being a prerequisite for adding them to the Hind, so much as saying it was going to be done for the sake of the Hind's use of them, and that they would be added during the EA period.  The latter doesn't mean we don't get them before the remodel, just that we don't have them yet.  If something different was said, I might have missed it.

Our best bet is to look at the Su-25 for sure. It's got the same gun sight system, but to my understanding the Su-25 doesn't have the same weapon selector system. It will probably be something under the "Missile" setting, but it obviously can't overwrite it, unless it takes away the capability to fire Shturms in real life.
If I had to guess probably something similar to @flo57100's description? The immediate thought for me would be that with the sight doors open when you're on "MSL" you're getting tones for the Shturm, with the sight doors closed tone for the R-60.

7 hours ago, WinterH said:

Also as best I can tell they use the inner pylons. What looking around I've done the outer pylons only support Shturm/Ataka missiles. In some good news there ARE pictures of the r-60s in the double racks like we see on the Mig-21 strapped to the Hind, but the most pictures I see for them attached to a Hind are single missiles on inner pylons. Though the double pylon one I've only seen one image of, and it was of just the winglet of a hind, so it might have been on a more modern variation.

Edited by Czechnology

Actually I stand self corrected, I found this image while looking for reference images if anyone wanted confirmation. It might be a more modern variation again, as the image is particularly modern looking as if from a digital camera, and I definitely don't recognize the paint job, but it's not a modern Mi-35 since it still has the full size winglets.

mi-2435-61.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Czechnology said:

Actually I stand self corrected, I found this image while looking for reference images if anyone wanted confirmation. It might be a more modern variation again, as the image is particularly modern looking as if from a digital camera, and I definitely don't recognize the paint job, but it's not a modern Mi-35 since it still has the full size winglets.

That's a Czech Mi-24D and it's the only picture (that I know of) with R-60 in this configuration. Mi-24V&P carried one R-60 under each central pylon mounted on APU-60-1 or two under each central pylon on APU-60-2.

P-60.png

19 hours ago, Fenin said:

Mostly if the systems for selecting the R-60 are already in the cockpit, and if anyone knows what the procedure will be for selecting them.  I can only assume they share wiring with some of the inner pylons and when in use are piggy backing on some electronics.  Do they use the Spirals wiring for the inner pylons?  I'd like to know.

Apparently the Mi-24 requires a small modification before the use of R-60 (see quote below), I believe this modification only applies to the pylons and the systems for deploying R-60 are already in the cockpit.

On 9/16/2016 at 1:39 PM, PilotMi8 said:

было руководство по выполнению доработки вертолетов в частях для возможности применения Р-60 с применением АПУ для подвески двух ракет под один пилон. Насколько помню, доработка по времени рассчитывалась как прим.1,5-2часа для двух спецов по вооружению на один вертолет. И разработано метод.пособие по боевому применению Р-60 при выполнении атак ВЦ.

Edited by Jun
  • Like 1

Untitled-2.png