precise trim input ?

jppsx
Go to solution Solved by TheBigTatanka,

All modules in DCS suffer from oversensitivity in trim buttons. They are too fast and don't have any acceleration for rate longer you hold.

Even by programming a button to send a 25 millisecond press is too much and will over correct planes. So you are constantly trimming opposite directions and adjusting speed to get somewhat stable flight without AP.

• Like 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• Solution

In terms of pitch trim, it is modeled correctly. One click of trim on the stick will adjust your trim by 0.1 Gs. The FLCS uses G demand for anything less than 15 AOA. Applies to the trim as well. So you can let go of the stick, and see that your Gs are 1.3 positive --- 3 clicks nose down will get you back to a 1G jet. I think it's pretty awesome that ED figured out how to code that part of the FLCS.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Dances, PhD

Jet Hobo

https://v65th.wordpress.com/

I don't think pitch trim is the problem when you are trying to trim your jet to fly in a straight line with a pod attached/ after dropping a weapon etc.

But yes as per above, I have mapped a rotary encoder to the trim wheel on the trim panel for lateral trim, helps a lot. Quick stab of the trim hat after weapon away, fine tune it later with the wheel.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There is a difference between the sim and real airplane. The trim hat energizes motors which turn wheels which affect the needle. In DCS the trim hat affects the needle directly. The difference is that the chain of events that happen in the airplane causes the needle reaction to hat input to not be linear. The wheel mass and nature of the physical system means that the rate of change of trim is not linear with time. Short duration inputs produce a lower average rate than long duration inputs. Even changes of direction (e.g. wheel turning CW then reversed to CCW) are not immediate and the needle will take some time to slow down and reverse direction overshooting the position when the input flipped.

I may be mistaken - but I believe ED implemented that behaviour with the trim hat as you describe - the longer you hold it the greater the input, so not a linear trim rate.

But yes the main issue is that one 'bump' of the hat in the lateral direction doesn't account for the inertia of the system as you describe and immediately inputs a large dose of aileron trim....too much 99% of the time.

Pitch trim is fine, but personally I never use pitch trim in the Viper....maybe a couple bumps nose up on landing if I am doing a long boring precision approach or something.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]