Kneeboard issue

I saw a similiar thread to this that was moved to the mods section. However, I feel the post is relevant and should be here.

The issue:

All missions on all maps of DCS allows for you to add custom kneeboard pages (You need to open the mission as a zip file etc) for that specific mission.

This is typical for servers and ofc for all who wish to make content, missionmakers etc.

However, Marianas as the only map has a problem here;

When adding a kneeboard image, the kneeboard simply does not show when you are in pit. It is blank. Void.

It works on ALL other maps and is not AC specific.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/10/2021 at 10:13 PM, NineLine said:

I'll look into it. Thanks.

A couple of months on, what's the progress on this?  Still doesn't work.  Same with the Syria map for me.

The 'normal' folder, e.g. E:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains\MarianaIslands\Kneeboard just doesn't work.  I've got the usual airfield data in there, but it just doesn't show. Caucasus, The Channel, Normandy, Persian Gulf and NTTR all OK.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

After today's update, still not working.

@NineLineany progress on your investigation?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I've been testing this for a few hours, and I was getting nowhere... until I looked at the official campaigns mission files. For some reason, the game is case-sensitive when it comes to mission kneeboards. 🧐

image.png

Here's the procedure to add custom kneeboard sheets to any mission on any terrain:

1. Unzip the .miz file
  2. Create a "KNEEBOARD" folder, and then an "IMAGES" subfolder.
  3. Put your PNG or JPG files into this "KNEEBOARD/IMAGES" folder.
  4. Enjoy.

kneeboard_test_Marianas.miz

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Sorry, I don’t really understand what you mean. Does that not just add it for any particular mission or am I not understanding?

I was answering the OP:

On 7/7/2021 at 3:04 PM, REDEYE_CVW-66 said:

The issue:

All missions on all maps of DCS allows for you to add custom kneeboard pages (You need to open the mission as a zip file etc) for that specific mission.

This is typical for servers and ofc for all who wish to make content, missionmakers etc.

However, Marianas as the only map has a problem here;

When adding a kneeboard image, the kneeboard simply does not show when you are in pit. It is blank. Void.

It works on ALL other maps and is not AC specific.

Edited by Flappie

Ah ok, the rest of the thread was about the knee board folder not working in this map. Sorry!

On 7/23/2021 at 4:36 AM, TAIPAN_ said:

Note: This is the folder it should read from, using the convention from other terrains: Mods\terrains\MarianaIslands\Kneeboard

Here's the result of my tests:

.../DCS*/Mods/terrains/ (* game's root folder)

works for Caucasus - *Normandy* - Persian Gulf - Channel - Nevada

doesn't work for Syria - Mariana Islands

I'll report these issues.

Edited by Flappie
fixed initial report, again
  • Like 2

That’s not my experience. All terrains work ok in DCS/Mods/Terrains/xxxx/Kneeboard except Marianas and Syria. 
I don’t understand why this has not been fixed. Surely just a 1 line code thing!

Edited by imacken

4 minutes ago, imacken said:

That’s not my experience. All terrains work ok in DCS/Mods/Terrains/xxxx/Kneeboard except Marianas and Syria. 
I don’t understand why this has not been fixed. Surely just a 1 line code thing!

Look, Flappie looked into it and is putting in a ticket for you all. Airing your frustrations like this isn't gonna help anything.

Everybody said: "That's impossible!" Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Flying the A-10C for the 107th Joint Aviation Squadron

Developing and creating missions for Through The Inferno

Join the TTI Discord

4 minutes ago, Recoil16 said:

Look, Flappie looked into it and is putting in a ticket for you all. Airing your frustrations like this isn't gonna help anything.

I have no idea what you are talking about. I’m simply correcting what Flappie said. Nevada works fine. Not sure what your issue is. 
I appreciate what Flappie is doing, but frankly it shouldn’t take that to solve something that has been talked about for months now. 
And to be clear, Flappie is not ‘putting in a ticket’ for me, this is something that affects all DCS users. 

Edited by imacken

😅

I've spent hours on this to create a proper bug report for devs to read. I'm certain of the results I wrote above. Maybe you're getting a different result, but the important thing is that this kneeboard issue is now officially reported. So wait and see.

• Thanks 1

I appreciate everything you are doing here. I think there is some confusion though. All I am saying is that the main DCS terrain kneeboard folder doesn’t work for me in the Marianas and Syria maps. The Normandy map folder has always worked for me. Strange how we have different results. 
Great that you’ve filed a bug report!

Just for interest's sake, here are grabs to show Normandy working.

k1.jpg

k2.jpg

Well, that path has never worked for me.  Only the path from the DCS install folder works for me - except Marianas and Syria, as we have discussed.  

I posted in the Syria bugs forum, and apparently these 2 bugs were reported on several weeks ago.

• 4 weeks later...

Sadly, no progress on this in today's update.

On 9/25/2021 at 12:59 AM, Flappie said:

Here's the result of my tests:

.../DCS*/Mods/terrains/ (* game's root folder)

works for Caucasus - *Normandy* - Persian Gulf - Channel

doesn't work for Syria - Mariana Islands - Nevada

I'll report these issues.

In most recent version, Nevada seems to work