WarBRD base + TM F-16 Stick springs set

Raidhen

Hello,

Can you give me some advice on which springs to use on WarBRD base with a TM F-16/Warthog Stick.

I've read that the default ones are to soft for the weight of the stick to set correct center position.

Thanks.

Raidhen

I have the heavy springs and the no-center cams installed. Both come with the base. Also purchased the extra heavy springs in case i would need them for the heavy Warthog grip, but the heavy springs are ok. In the Virpil Joystick tester the stick is tilted forward by about 1%, but it's not recognised in DCS. You're good with the springs that come with the base, just not with those wich are installed from the factory.

Cheers

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

Advice: What VpR91 says, nothing to add.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I use the heavy spring and the soft center cam and they go very well.  I also bought the extra heavy spring, but this one I already feel excessively hard in the movement of the axes, perhaps with extension it will feel better.

What I do notice and ask you is if with the heavy spring it is difficult for you to take the maximum range of movements of both axes to the maximum.  As you advance on the axis there is more tension but I notice that when you reach almost the maximum of the axis, the tension is already excessive. Its normal?

Even  with the standard heavy ones the base can flip.

I put my WarBRD base on my WH baseplate. Much more stable (you need to drill extra holes though...).

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Honestly, I use the WH F-18 grip (maybe a shade lighter but not much), with the stock, out of the box springs and after calibrating it I'd never had an issue.  No extension which I can believe could make a difference.  If I let go of the stick the F-18 flies level, doesn't seem to be off at all.  I tried the heavier springs because I read this too, but I found them too stiff for my preferences.  I would agree if you're going to use it on a desk do what you need to do to swap out the Virpil baseplate for the Warthog one.

On 7/8/2021 at 10:16 AM, lt_d4n said:

What I do notice and ask you is if with the heavy spring it is difficult for you to take the maximum range of movements of both axes to the maximum.  As you advance on the axis there is more tension but I notice that when you reach almost the maximum of the axis, the tension is already excessive. Its normal?

Yes it is normal with both of the cam sets that come with the base, the aviasim soft center and the aviasim no-center cams. Both provide a non-linear force to the axis beeing meant for flight sim purpose. If you want a linear force you would need the cosmosim cams (again soft center and no-center variant), wich are sold separately.

On 7/8/2021 at 7:35 PM, Raidhen said:

Thx for your advise, I've tested the extra-heavy springs but for a desktop use it's clearly to much, the base is flipping.

I'm going for the heavy ones.

As Lange_666 said, the base may still flip. The WarBRD baseplate in general is much too light imo. I've my base attached to Virpils compact baseplate (wich is significant heavier than the WarBRD baseplate)  and then screwed down on a simrig, so no issues here. The best thing you could propably do, is to get a desk mount for you stick or build your own one. All the materials used i.e. by Monstertech are easy to get online and pretty cheap compared to buying a Monstertech setup. Also find the Virpil deskmounts to be not too expensive, but i don't know if these are any good. I would assume so. Otherwise, i would do as advised and drill 4 new holes into the Warthog baseplate and use that one for the WarBRD base. The thread size on the WarBRD base is M4, so you would need a 4,2mm - 4,5mm drill for the holes on the Warthog baseplate.  Just make sure that the spacings between the holes are precise and that you countersink the holes so the screws aren't scratching your desk 😉

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2