Another win for Fholger

Sr.

2 hours ago, Ready said:

Anybody got the foveated patch tested and working? Am thinking to try it but haven't messed with dll's before, am running Reshade and don't want to lose the sharpness.

Tried it last night... saw no visible difference.

Wasn't there a foveated rendering command (last year think) that could be added to an autexec file in DCS?

Edit: n/m that was frustrum culling

Edited by Sr.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

1 hour ago, Sr. said:

Tried it last night... saw no visible difference.

Wasn't there a foveated rendering command (last year think) that could be added to an autexec file in DCS?

Edit: n/m that was frustrum culling

Okay will not bother. tnx.

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

I've been using FSR 0.75 for a while with pretty good results however I figured to test vrperfkit.  Did a repair, cleared the fxo/metashader2 folders and switched to vrperfkit.  I previously used FSR over NIS as it seemed to have better quality but with the introduction of CAS I thought I'd give it a quick and dirty test.  Back to back testing against FSR, CAS gave an additional 1-2ms reduction in frametimes with comparible image quality.  Shimmer without MSAA does seem a bit worse than FSR but the additional overhead allows 2xMSAA+MFAA to smooth things out and I now get very little noticable shimmer and better frametimes than the FSR + 2xMSAA+MFAA that I was running anyway.

Using Speed-of-Heat's clearwater shader mod only, high settings across the board apart from water, view distance and clouds at medium; civ traffic is off.  Reverb at 60Hz 100% SS, PD1.0.

Anyone else had similar experience of the CAS function?

Edited by edmuss

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

3 hours ago, edmuss said:

I've been using FSR 0.75 for a while with pretty good results however I figured to test vrperfkit.  Did a repair, cleared the fxo/metashader2 folders and switched to vrperfkit.  I previously used FSR over NIS as it seemed to have better quality but with the introduction of CAS I thought I'd give it a quick and dirty test.  Back to back testing against FSR, CAS gave an additional 1-2ms reduction in frametimes with comparible image quality.  Shimmer without MSAA does seem a bit worse than FSR but the additional overhead allows 2xMSAA+MFAA to smooth things out and I now get very little noticable shimmer and better frametimes than the FSR + 2xMSAA+MFAA that I was running anyway.

Using Speed-of-Heat's clearwater shader mod only, high settings across the board apart from water, view distance and clouds at medium; civ traffic is off.  Reverb at 60Hz 100% SS, PD1.0.

Anyone else had similar experience of the CAS function?

My eyes can't cope with 60Hz. Why don't you go for 90? 

Will give the vrperfkit a try later.

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

Because I'm a pauper with a 3070 😄
I like the shiny visuals too much to degrade the settings to consistently keep above the 50fps (20ms) threshold that wmr needs to motion smooth @90Hz.  I'm typically sitting between 77 and 55 fps on syria (13-18ms) but it doesn't take  much to drop to 50fps at which point there is a very jarring step to no smoothing at all. At 60Hz the framerate has to drop to 33fps (30ms) before motion smoothing drops out so I can crank the visuals up and retain perfectly smooth gameplay but with the refresh rate flicker which I am fully accustomed to and don't even see. 

@speed-of-heat has pointed out that with HAGS on without motion smoothing @ 60Hz can be smooth so that's something I will test tonight.  If the HAGS is able to keep it all smooth then I should be able to switch to 90Hz, the framerates will be identical but I won't have to try to maintain the 50fps threshold to keep smoothing engaged.  Being able to run without smoothing is obviously beneficial because it removes the reprojection artifacts (although they are minimal for me) so improves clarity again 🙂

Edited by edmuss

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

13 minutes ago, edmuss said:

Because I'm a pauper with a 3070 😄
I like the shiny visuals too much to degrade the settings to consistently keep above the 50fps (20ms) threshold that wmr needs to motion smooth @90Hz.  I'm typically sitting between 77 and 55 fps on syria (13-18ms) but it doesn't take  much to drop to 50fps at which point there is a very jarring step to no smoothing at all. At 60Hz the framerate has to drop to 33fps (30ms) before motion smoothing drops out so I can crank the visuals up and retain perfectly smooth gameplay but with the refresh rate flicker which I am fully accustomed to and don't even see. 

@speed-of-heat has pointed out that with HAGS on without motion smoothing @ 60Hz can be smooth so that's something I will test tonight.  If the HAGS is able to keep it all smooth then I should be able to switch to 90Hz, the framerates will be identical but I won't have to try to maintain the 50fps threshold to keep smoothing engaged.  Being able to run without smoothing is obviously beneficial because it removes the reprojection artifacts (although they are minimal for me) so improves clarity again 🙂

no at 90-hz with HAGS its a mess.  60Hz seems to work it even clocks down to 40/30 in some intense missions and works OK, but 90 is just a mess

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Ok, will keep it on a 60 and see what happens 🙂

6 hours ago, Ready said:

My eyes can't cope with 60Hz. Why don't you go for 90? 

Will give the vrperfkit a try later.

Same here, regardless of settings 60Hz is a no go for me, the flickering is unbearable.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

1 hour ago, toilet2000 said:

There's a modification of fholger's vrperfkit that might be working for fixed foveated rendering in DCS, albeit with caveats. See: https://github.com/cedriclmenard/vrperfkit/releases/tag/v0.2.2-dcs-ffr

I can't get it to work. I switch on debug=true to see if it works. I am not getting anything with the adjusted version.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

Gave the vrperfkit a try. Not much difference between FSR 2.1.1 and vrperfkit. 

image.png

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

Just now, Ready said:

Gave the vrperfkit a try. Not much difference between FSR 2.1.1 and vrperfkit. 

image.png

I had the same conclusion.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

I wouldn’t expect there to be, but, this is where he is making the changes

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

On 1/24/2022 at 4:51 PM, Ready said:

I can't get it to work. I switch on debug=true to see if it works. I am not getting anything with the adjusted version.

That's weird, it does work for me. Even if you put the inner radius at some ridiculously low value (like 0.1) it doesn't show any pixelation?

Is anyone willing to break down the install process of the VR Perf Kit?
I have downloaded the 0.2.2 release and can copy the .YML and .DLL specified in the README to the DCS folder,  but the portion below I don't understand. Any assistance would be appreciated, I'm just way behind the power curve with technology.

## Build instructions

Clone the repository and init all submodules.

Download the [Oculus SDK](https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/package/oculus-sdk-for-windows)
and extract `LibOVR` from the downloaded archive to the `ThirdParty` folder.

Run cmake to generate Visual Studio solution files. Build with Visual Studio.

1 minute ago, Brass2-1 said:

Is anyone willing to break down the install process of the VR Perf Kit?
I have downloaded the 0.2.2 release and can copy the .YML and .DLL specified in the README to the DCS folder,  but the portion below I don't understand. Any assistance would be appreciated, I'm just way behind the power curve with technology.

## Build instructions

Clone the repository and init all submodules.

Download the [Oculus SDK](https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/package/oculus-sdk-for-windows)
and extract `LibOVR` from the downloaded archive to the `ThirdParty` folder.

Run cmake to generate Visual Studio solution files. Build with Visual Studio.

You need to copy the yml & dll into the dcs/bin folder not the DCS root folder.

The build instructions are if you want to modify and recompile the code I think.  It's  not needed if you're just using it 🙂

Tried vrperfkit 0.2.2 with DCS (open beta) and my G2 (SteamVR, Windows 10) a couple times now, without success. 

I had been using FSR 2.1.1 which worked great.  Removed FSR using my mod manager, and installed the verperfkit dll and yml file, with settings matching my previous FSR setup (using FSR instead of NIS even though I have a 3090).

Running some standard test missions I can see that vrperfkit is running, debug mode hotkeys work and show the overlay, etc., but frame times are about 5ms longer than they were with FSR and the same settings.  Tried reboots, etc. without seeing a difference.  Tried both FSR and NIS modes.  Tried with hotkeys on and off.  fixedFoveated is off.

Is there something basic I'm missing with how this should work with DCS and the G2? Should I try forcing DirectX 11 for WMR?

18 minutes ago, tanr said:

Tried vrperfkit 0.2.2 with DCS (open beta) and my G2 (SteamVR, Windows 10) a couple times now, without success. 

I had been using FSR 2.1.1 which worked great.  Removed FSR using my mod manager, and installed the verperfkit dll and yml file, with settings matching my previous FSR setup (using FSR instead of NIS even though I have a 3090).

Running some standard test missions I can see that vrperfkit is running, debug mode hotkeys work and show the overlay, etc., but frame times are about 5ms longer than they were with FSR and the same settings.  Tried reboots, etc. without seeing a difference.  Tried both FSR and NIS modes.  Tried with hotkeys on and off.  fixedFoveated is off.

Is there something basic I'm missing with how this should work with DCS and the G2? Should I try forcing DirectX 11 for WMR?

I may have read something wrong, but I think with the VRPERFkit you need to use the games default openvr_api.dll

Oddly enough, I'm running NIS on an AMD GPU and it looks better (to me) than FSR.

--Arthur C Clark

1 hour ago, Sr. said:

I think with the VRPERFkit you need to use the games default openvr_api.dll

This was with the games default openvr_api.dll.  I had disabled the FSR mod which restored the original version - just double checked it to make sure.

Do you mean renaming the vrperfkit dll to openvr_api.dll? I just leave them alone ?

9 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

Do you mean renaming the vrperfkit dll to openvr_api.dll? I just leave them alone ?

No, I'm not renaming anything.  With a vanilla DCSWorld\bin directory, per the readme, I copy the dxgi.dll and vrperfkit.yml file into my DCSWorld\bin directory.  The vrperfkit.yml file has very few changes.  

Edited by tanr

then it definitely should work across both oculus and wmr

Have you copied the x86 folder across to bin as well?

which x86 folder, the one in the zip file, is not required,   the only thing that needs to be copied are the openvr_api..dll and the config file  or the dxgi.dll and yml file depending on which version  you are using? 

Edited by speed-of-heat