I9 9900K with 1080ti

I was having a great experience in DCS with an 8700k (6-core) and 1080ti  on triple 1440p monitors.  Have since had opportunity to try out 3080 and 3090 on same machine.  Main improvement was ability to run MSAA at higher levels and maintain FPS.  The difference between 1080ti and 3090 was notable but not game-changing.  The 1080ti remains a great gpu that is competitive with with even the latest mid-range from nvidia and AMD.  And the 9900k is identical to a 10700k and is an excellent gaming cpu. 

Have no experience with VR---

Edited by manashttu
  • Like 1

Intel 8700K, delidded at 5.1 ghz, Asrock z370 Extreme4, 32gb DDR4 3200, MSI Ventus RTX 3080, triple 1440p Dell s2716dg screens, VKB Gunfighter Mk.I, Virpil M50-CM2 throttle, MFG Crosswind pedals.

Thanks for the input. I love my 1080ti, it's a beast!. I currently have i7 7700K but have been wanting to upgrade a little. I fly VR and have had decent performance except for Marianas. I am keeping my budget in mind and also preparing for a different GPU at some point. 

This will bee my first build BTW! Yikes!!!!

On 7/9/2021 at 12:21 AM, Maduce said:

Thanks for the input. I love my 1080ti, it's a beast!. I currently have i7 7700K but have been wanting to upgrade a little. I fly VR and have had decent performance except for Marianas. I am keeping my budget in mind and also preparing for a different GPU at some point. 

This will bee my first build BTW! Yikes!!!!

If you take good care of bounding your CPU to a good RAM, even your GPU will be performing better.

Different from AMD, Intel CPUs with inapropriate RAM bounding can cause lower performances with Shaders, and like AMD CPUs higher latency as well, your i7 7700K controller shouldn't have to manage higher frequencies than DDR4-2133/2400 and a total of 4 banks, this limits the number of banks per stick to 1 in the case of a 4 X configuration, which would allow the controller to use inteleaving between ranks, otherwise, 2 X 2 ranks.

There is really little point in running faster RAM because in any case, the gain under load is partly negated by the controller throtling down, it will show higher CPU frequencies but the real gain will be nil because your buses will run slower.

The buses won't take more than what the controller is originaly designed for, on the other hand, if not limited by rank number or too high frequencies, the CPU can perform at 100% under load and the buses as well. At the end of the day, doing a little research work in Intel Forums will help you optimizing your system.

Whatever RAM you chose to buy, there is another thing to look after; buy a kit with the right number of sticks from day one, by just adding another couple of sticks you take the risk of seeing your system refusing to boot simply because manufacturers can use different chips from one batch to another even with the same RAM.

The Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB is a popular kit among Intel users, for higher performances you might want 1 bank/Cl14 but to take full advantage of this kind of RAM first you have to pay a premium, them use a 4 X configuration, for example mine cost <> £80 more than the kit they replace (same frequency) but offers a 6.04% increase in CPU performance at 4K, which is more than double what you can expect from O.Cing my CPU with water cooling and the dogs bollocks...

Edited by Thinder
  • Like 1

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.