VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle really has that bad buttons?

skywalker22

Are buttons on the throttle really that bad? Now this really turned me OFF buying it! Before seeing that video, I was completely sure I will get it, but now is completely the other way around. Maybe, maybe I will still go for the joystick.

Because if this is true, it makes the Throttle completely useless from my perspective. Pressing into one way on 4 way switch, and 2 functions are activated, that`s just simply inadmissible. And 400€???? Its worth less then mind TWCS - based on the review bellow.

How do you guys see it? 

ps: note, the review is done for CM2, and for for CM3.

Edited by skywalker22
  • Like 1

Not true, only one function seems to be activated on the cm3 , in the test software, if you use the config software you do see both activated…

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

• skywalker22 changed the title to VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle really has that bad buttons?

That's the only person I have ever heard complain about it in sim forums or YouTube or Discord or wherever.  If those are the same hat switch mechanics as the Virpil Alpha grip, "he's doing it wrong".

If he is struggling with it though, he could always put in a 1 second delay for the middle button input and that would mitigate the problem.  Also, he's using a CM2 it appears along with what it says in the video title, but the switches aren't different on the CM3 most likely.

• Like 1

Loving my CM3, no problem with the buttons at all. Got many hours in with it now as I use it pretty much daily.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Thanks guys, so its not as bad as it has been explained in that video.
It is. Some people just have less expectations.

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

34 minutes ago, The LT said:
7 hours ago, skywalker22 said:
Thanks guys, so its not as bad as it has been explained in that video.

It is. Some people just have less expectations.

Or maybe they just understand how gated versus non-gated hats work.  

• Like 1

Or maybe they just understand how gated versus non-gated hats work.  
I, for one, understand it perfectly and I still don't like their tactile feedback at all. Uninformative and mushy. The action delay suggestion is, frankly, totally unacceptable.
YMMV.

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

Pilot seat

Just now, The LT said:

I, for one, understand it perfectly and I still don't like their tactile feedback at all. Uninformative and mushy. The action delay suggestion is, frankly, totally unacceptable.
YMMV.

CH Products still have the best hat switches in the industry.  I do wish manufacturers would use those as they have zero play and are "clicky".

CH Products still have the best hat switches in the industry.  I do wish manufacturers would use those as they have zero play and are "clicky".
Yes, those CH ones are great hats. Manufacturers these days just try to cut costs.
  • Like 3

My controls & seat

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

Pilot seat

Do you own it @The LT?

So it is bad 😞

I thought so, because it was pronounced very clearly on that video. No one does that, I would say because it would show the imperfections/defectiveness. 

And there goes another one of the list of "Not-Buying" products.

Those buttons are way too important, whole throttle control relies on it, specially when in battle or coming to it. What a shame. I own TWCS which really is GREAT, specially for that little money. All the buttons/rotary encoders,.. work, I mean Work as expected - same as it was explained in the video.

Crap Virpil! Shame on you, I mean really. 

One more thing, I don`t get people who defend product like that, I guess they are just so called "Sunday drivers". I wonder if there is anyone with this control who flies each day, or a lot. I agree that all the rest beside those 5-way buttons is awesome, but since those buttons are the most important bits of whole throttle, I just cannot ignore it, and buy it! Sorry.

--

PS: maybe I will just buy the base and the stick, which seems to be great. And I will still use my old TWCS throttle control.

Edited by skywalker22

1 hour ago, The LT said:

YMMV.

Different strokes for different folks. Absolutely loving mine!!

9 minutes ago, skywalker22 said:

Do you own it @The LT?

So it is bad 😞

I thought so, because it was pronounced very clearly on that video. No one does that, I would say because it would show the imperfections/defectiveness. 

Those buttons are way too important, whole throttle control relies on it, specially when in battle or coming to it. What a shame. I own TWCS which really is GREAT, specially for that little money. All the buttons/rotary encoders,.. work, I mean Work as expected - same as it was explained in the video.

One more thing, I don`t get people who defend product like that, I guess they are just so called "Sunday drivers". I wonder if there is anyone with this control who flies each day, or a lot. I agree that all the rest beside those 5-way buttons is awesome, but since those buttons are the most important bits of whole throttle, I just cannot ignore it, and buy it! Sorry.

--

PS: maybe I will just buy the base and the stick, which seems to be great. And I will still use my old TWCS throttle control.

So it is beyond your comprehension some folks may really like the Virpil CM3 Throttle?

Using mine daily for several hours a day since getting it many weeks ago. Hardy a "Sunday driver".

There will always be some whom it is not a good fit for, from what I have seen they are in the minority on the CM3 throttle.

I would not speak of those who like the throttle negatively, nor those who do not. Different tastes.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

13 minutes ago, dburne said:

Different strokes for different folks. Absolutely loving mine!!

So it is beyond your comprehension some folks may really like the Virpil CM3 Throttle?

Using mine daily for several hours a day since getting it many weeks ago. Hardy a "Sunday driver".

There will always be some whom it is not a good fit for, from what I have seen they are in the minority on the CM3 throttle.

I would not speak of those who like the throttle negatively, nor those who do not. Different tastes.

No, it is not beyond my comprehension, trust me.

And thank you for your opinion. I am only here to investigate if its worth of spending 500€ for the throttle or not. And I don`t really care about the money, I have plenty of it, but I would like to spend it good, not that I would be disappointed as soon as I would try it 1st time out.

The question is, which planes do you fly, which buttons do you use? Do you use any of those 5 way buttons? And what are your thoughts on them?

Edited by skywalker22

In DCS right now mainly the Hornet in single player campaign flying. I also use the CM3 in IL-2 Great Battles and MSFS 2020. Mostly DCS currently though,

I use most all buttons without much problem. Main things is just refreshing my memory on what is where as I fly in VR. The encoders I use only for turning things on and off, like fps counter, flight stick, pilot body, time accelerate and decelerate. I find the encoders work pretty well for that, not so much for other things though.

One of the 4 way plush push hats ( lower one) I use for Vaicom Pro with Voice Attack. Can't remember off top of my head what I have the upper one assigned to, would have to go into the sim to see and am in middle of something else right now. 

I can't recall thinking man these 5 ways plus push are pretty rough.

The mini stick I use for both TDC slew and exterior camera view panning.

The 4 way plus push to the left of it is Kneeboard commands.

I will try and update later on when I get a chance to hook my controllers up and get back in the sim. We have company due to arrive about any minute and wife wants me elsewhere.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

Do you own it @The LT?
So it is bad

--
No, it is not bad at all, it's a very nice and functional universal throttle which has far surpassed the warthog one. It's just a small issue with the hats which shouldn't deter you from buying it.

My controls & seat

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

Pilot seat

I just got mine in today, and from handeling it and messing around with the buttons a bit, for the most part i hardly noticed them being a hassle to click/move... The thing is, there are sooooooooo many buttons on it, you can use forward/back/press and have enough spare buttons to cover any other toggles or binds, its absolutely insane how many options the throttle has. The throttle overall felt/looked and shipped great, if a 5-way hat is the only thing stopping your from buying it, buy it anyway...the thing is a beast and youll have more than enough to configure it to run well in Sim

• Like 4

IL-2: sturmovik | Microsoft Flight Sim | DCS

P40 Kittyhawk - More US Please | Bush Planes - Single Prop | AV-8B - M2000C - F-5E

VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base | VPC Control Panel - #2 | VPC Constellation ALPHA-R

MFG Crosswinds | Rseat S1 | NRG FRP-600WT

14 hours ago, skywalker22 said:

The buttons on the stick are exactly the same as the buttons on the throttle, assuming you get one with 5 way hats. I haven't checked, but I'm pretty sure they all have the 5 way hats these days.

If you're going to have such a negative view of a product based on one person's opinion when everyone else is telling you it's great, you're never going to buy anything.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/9/2021 at 3:26 AM, speed-of-heat said:

Not true, only one function seems to be activated on the cm3 , in the test software, if you use the config software you do see both activated…

Good day Gents! ~S. I have this model from Virpil and can confirm what SoH is saying. No issues at all so far. I have been using this throttle in DCS, IL-2 GBs, IL-2 1946, FS2020, Falcon BMS and WoFF without any issues at all. Partnered with VKB Gunfighter MCE Ultimate and MFG Crosswind, definitely worth the bucks spent while I await the TECS from VKB 😄 

I think I might buy one of the grips and base made by Virpil as well 😄 

Edited by StarVenger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MSI MPG Z390I Gaming Edge ACMSI RTX4090 Gaming X Trio 24G OCIntel I9-9900K32GB DDR4 Kingston Hyper X + Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle + VKB Gunfighter Mk.III MCE Ultimate + Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog + WinWing Orion 2 F-16EX Viper Joystick + WinWing Orion 2 F/A-18 Hornet Throttle with Finger Lifts + MFG Crosswind Pedals + Pico 4 + HP Reverb G2 + Track IR5 Tobii Eye Tracker 5 + LG 34GN850-B Monitor 

2 hours ago, StarVenger said:

Good day Gents! ~S. I have this model from Virpil and can confirm what SoH is saying. No issues at all so far. I have been using this throttle in DCS, IL-2 GBs, IL-2 1946, FS2020, Falcon BMS and WoFF without any issues at all. Partnered with VKB Gunfighter MCE Ultimate and MFG Crosswind, definitely worth the bucks spent while I await the TECS from VKB 😄 

I think I might buy one of the grips and base made by Virpil as well 😄 

You might want to update your signature with the new hardware specs:) 

Darkstar: Merged

2 hours ago, horstweihrauch said:

You might want to update your signature with the new hardware specs:) 

Horst, Oh yeah... done 😛 Thanks for the reminder 

• Thanks 1

MSI MPG Z390I Gaming Edge ACMSI RTX4090 Gaming X Trio 24G OCIntel I9-9900K32GB DDR4 Kingston Hyper X + Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle + VKB Gunfighter Mk.III MCE Ultimate + Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog + WinWing Orion 2 F-16EX Viper Joystick + WinWing Orion 2 F/A-18 Hornet Throttle with Finger Lifts + MFG Crosswind Pedals + Pico 4 + HP Reverb G2 + Track IR5 Tobii Eye Tracker 5 + LG 34GN850-B Monitor 

Having had mine up and running now for the last week, which is a really short time compared to the thrustmaster warthog (which I have had forever)  the product quality is excellent, the switches work I don’t mind the way it clicks, I use it in VR so I need the feedback. I love the way the switches work on the throttle body, and the accuracy of throttles themselves is second to none.

The muscle memory transfer is difficult , but that’s nothing to do with the quality of the product, and over a decade of warthog memory to overcome, and TARGET programming experience to get over.

The software was hardest thing to get my head around, it’s completely different to TARGET, but having gotten my head round it, it’s simpler and easier to use.

The throttle is an excellent buy, is it worth 500 eur… yes, in my opinion it is, would I like it more if it were cheaper, sure, but it’s pretty good value. 

• Like 3

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

21 hours ago, Brevillance said:

I just got mine in today, and from handeling it and messing around with the buttons a bit, for the most part i hardly noticed them being a hassle to click/move... The thing is, there are sooooooooo many buttons on it, you can use forward/back/press and have enough spare buttons to cover any other toggles or binds, its absolutely insane how many options the throttle has. The throttle overall felt/looked and shipped great, if a 5-way hat is the only thing stopping your from buying it, buy it anyway...the thing is a beast and youll have more than enough to configure it to run well in Sim

Yeah true that, there are a ton of buttons available. I was thinking about getting a Control Panel #2 to compliment the CM3 throttle with, but I seriously don't know what I would do with even more buttons available to me. I have a hard enough time with the muscle memory for what I already have ( I fly in VR).

And like @StarVengerbetween my Virpil CM3 throttle and VKB Gunfighter Pro with MCG Ultimate Grip I feel I am in flight sim heaven.

• Thanks 1

Don B

6 hours ago, dburne said:

Snipped for space 

I got a CP2 myself, it's a bloody unit. The nice things though is knobs for trim, and a gear lever. They are easy to find and can make things a lot easier for someone who can't see as well (I don't use VR but it's pretty large so, shouldn't be hard)

As for extra buttons? Who knows...can't go wrong with spreading things out though, binding buttons on it for less used functions possibly. I bought it because I figured if I'm spending 1200 already, I may as well add it on lmao.

20210709_153330.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IL-2: sturmovik | Microsoft Flight Sim | DCS

P40 Kittyhawk - More US Please | Bush Planes - Single Prop | AV-8B - M2000C - F-5E

VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base | VPC Control Panel - #2 | VPC Constellation ALPHA-R

MFG Crosswinds | Rseat S1 | NRG FRP-600WT