Jumped back in the old Mi-8...

Having flown the Mi-24 exclusively since it came out a month ago, I'm starting to get a better feel for her quirks, though I still struggle when I try to horse it around. So tonight - just for the heck of it - I jumped into the good old Mi-8 for a quick free flight. My observations:

1. After the Hind, the Mi-8 cockpit feels like a school bus. 🙂

2. OMG, the Mi-8 is so much more nimble than the Mi-24. I can't believe I used to be scared of her. Flying the Mi-8 is sheer joy. She is obedient and does exactly what I tell her. Even the dreaded VRS that used to scare me in the beginning is a non-issue now. The Mi-8 is a dear old friend.

So now I'm wondering: Is the Mi-8 flight model too simple? Or does the Mi-24 FM still need work? Or are then both realistic - just very different. 

Edited by Doc3908
  • Like 10

I agree on all your observations yet I'm hesitant to pass any judgement on the flight model of the Mi-8.

Because I can remember how hard it was in the beginning...and now, having flown it almost too much, I'd say my judgement is clouded.

I mean the Mi-8 is a very nice bird today, for me...but tinkering with the flight model? Not sure about that.

• Like 1

There are currently certain issues with the flight model of the Mi24, the devs have acknowledged that the SAS channels and trim need tuning and that there are some edge cases of the flight envelope which need to be investigated. I think that the Mi24 flight model is probably more advanced than the Mi8, but again that is only in edge cases and should not be affecting normal flight. The Mi8 definitely feels more stable and more behaved than the Mi24, which I believe is not how it should be, since the Mi24 was developed to be more stable than the Mi8. 

I don't think that the Mi8's FM is anything but simple, PilotMi8 the lead developer used to fly on that type, and I'm pretty certain that it is very accurate in most flight conditions. One more thing to consider, unless it is fully loaded or carrying a sling load the Mi8 is much lighter than a Mi24, especially a fully armed and fueled Mi24P. 

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 4

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Feedback is just much better and VRS is a non-issue in the Mi-8 if you listen to the rotors. So is the loss of translational lift. To add to that the visibility is much better, trim and SAS work in the Mi-8, while being buggy at best in the Mi-24. I think the issue is that we are comparing a finished and refined module to the newest release. Just fixing the trim, SAS and adding feedback will make the hind much more enjoyable. 

For now I enjoy going back to the Mi-8 and working my way through the campaigns. Sling loading is a ton of fun since it was fixed. 

Edited by SuumCuique
grammar
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, SuumCuique said:

Just fixing the trim, SAS and adding feedback will make the hind much more enjoyable. 

The Mi-8 and the Huey both have discernable buffeting when exiting ETL.

The Hind has nothing. It's too smooth. VRS comes on suddenly with absolutely no warning.

• Like 1

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

I think the biggest issue is that there is absolutely NO feedback when entering VRS. In Mi-8 you get that feeling when it starts to shake and it's no problem. In Mi-24 you don't know if you're even entered VRS. I hope they can fix this issue, even if the feedback is ever so slight.

• Like 1