T-50CM3 and Control Panel 2 - Better linked together or connected separately

Durkin

So I just got my throttle on CP2 and wanted to know the pros and cons of linking them together and using 1 usb cable or each being connected to its own usb cable.

I have plenty of USB ports so not worried about that. Just wanted to know if there were reasons for one way over the other.

Right now they are connected together but I only see the throttle in the Virpil software so I'm guessing it just thinks the CM2 is part of the throttle.

Let me know your thoughts as I'm just getting ready to start my configuration process for Stick, Throttle, CM2 and rudder peddles in DCS for the F16.

Only negative with having them linked would be if you run into a button limit.

DCS supports 128 buttons per device. Linked together they are one device.

Me personally should I get a CP2 in addition to my CM3 throttle I would just leave it as separate device, not sure what benefit I would gain for me with them linked.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Thanks. I will do them separated when I get it working. I just found my throttle is not working at all so need to see why. Hoping it is just firmware thing and can be fixed with support help. Hate to have to send it back to get fixed. It shows up in the Virpil software but as a no profile item and nothing works.

Wish me luck 

button and axis limits ...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I can think of 2 reasons to link…

1. Some games (not DCS) have a limit on how many USB devices they will detect. Linking can help if you are 1 over the limit.

2. You want to control the LEDs on both with Virpil’s link tool, and it can only manage a single device last time I checked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too many games with 32 button/axis limit to make linking a viable alternative.

I use mine separately after not being able to use a single button on my CP2 in ED!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

11 minutes ago, imacken said:

Too many games with 32 button/axis limit to make linking a viable alternative.

I use mine separately after not being able to use a single button on my CP2 in ED!

Actually, I only know of ED that has this (really, really, really annoying) limit. I've connected a CP to my Throttle, and I'm now using Voice Attack's macro feature to map all buttons with index > 31 to keyboard presses in ED. 

But I don't think that there are many critical differences that would favor one configuration over the other (since the CM2 Throttle also has over 32 buttons, you need some 'outside help' to access them in ED anyway, so why not go all the way?). I slaved the CP to my throttle simply to use single cable to connect both to the hub. Not a really pressing need. Oh, and in DCS there's one column less on the Control Config screen to bother with, again hardly a big enough reason to justify either 🙂