Vr Advice

drgdoomed

Looking for advice from fellow pilots that have had experience with play on vr ,Looking at the quest 2 or rift s however my ageing gfx card maybe an issue ,Atm i am waiting for stock and price drop on current gen cards who knows when it will end .

My current system

Ryzen 9 3900x

Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER

32 gb ram

nvme drives

And a Nvidia 980 ti

I mostly play online ,Would i be wasting my money on vr with my current graphics card for dcs.

Your GPU is below the minimum specs for a Quest I believe. Not a Quest 2, a Quest 1.

I am flying in VR with a Quest 1 on an unsupported GPU. It’s… satisfactory. Good enough that I keep doing it and don’t want to go back to pancake mode ever. But… this is single player, simple missions. I play multiplayer with one other person and that’s fine, but joining any bigger server with more complex missions and the whole thing grinds to a halt.

I would say if you’re going to try it either go for a lower resolution headset such as the original Quest, or get a better GPU first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, before you start on VR, get your eyes measured. Trying to make a headset work that doesn't fit your Inter-pupil distance (IPD) is just not fun. I did that for over a year and it put me off of VR entirely until I got a headset that actually fit my eyes. 

19 hours ago, drgdoomed said:

Thank you Rubbra

Will hold off on the vr i think ,Oh well more funds added for either virpil or vkb joystick.

Cheers for the info vr looks pretty damn gd for this as well.

No problem. It *is* pretty damn good. There are "things" about VR that mean everything is a compromise, but as a flying experience, once you've done it, it's hard to go back to 2D.

Some things -

• image quality; VR image quality is like going back 15 years compared to 2D mode. Think more Minecraft than DCS on Ultra 😉 (that's harsh - it's not as bad as that, but it's the best I could up with).
  • Speed vs Image Quality - expect to spend a lot of time chasing this dream of having amazing IQ AND FPS. Never gonna happen.
  • Keybinds - expect to either use VoiceAttack or have like a gazillion keybinds on your HOTAS and then forget which one is which and accidentally lower your gear at 450 knots, or jettison stores on take off once in a while!
  • You know that moment when you look at your watch after a flight and go "where did the last 2 hours go" ? Double it with VR. Questions like "when did it get dark?" or "when did my wife and kids leave home?" will need answering once you live in the enclosed world of your VR headset.

I think your decision to hold off until you can sort out hardware is probably the right one. I didn't do the same - probably should - but got offered a Quest for a song, so thought it was worth a shot. Was expecting to have the worst performance ever, and then give it to my son. But have managed to tweak and tweak and tweak and have got it pretty stable and reliable with "good enough" image quality. I *will* buy a desktop. But not until I can get one with a decent GPU without selling any of my vital organs.

Edited by rubbra

Back in the day (2018) I played DCS VR with rift CV1 and GTX 1060 3 Gb. It was doable but not enjoyable.
DCS Graphic load has increased a lot these years, so I recommend saving more money and let the current GPUs drop a little more.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

38 minutes ago, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

Back in the day (2018) I played DCS VR with rift CV1 and GTX 1060 3 Gb. It was doable but not enjoyable.
DCS Graphic load has increased a lot these years, so I recommend saving more money and let the current GPUs drop a little more.

VR has come a long way since the CV1 days. Still not where we would all like, but pretty darn good right now.

I would not be flying without it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Ala12Rv-Tundra:

Exactly this is my impression with a 2070 super and a G2. I have the feeling even this card is too weak for what I want. I think it is a highly subjective topic, but I'd also recommend to wait for a new graphics card before trying VR.

8 hours ago, dburne said:

VR has come a long way since the CV1 days. Still not where we would all like, but pretty darn good right now.

I would not be flying without it.

just pointing the OP 980ti could be equal to that 1060 I used performance-wise. But DCS is more taxiing now than then.

• Like 1

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

VR would merit more attention from ED concerning graphical settings with better fine tuning (i.e only cockpit shadows, all other shadows disabled, better granularity between cockpit texture details because in VR only the highest one is acceptable, etc.)

I love ED as much as I love Apple but they have the same default : it takes 20 iterations to deliver what people asked for after the first 3 iterations, with good reasons and explanation.

Anyway, I will continue to buy modules and wait that things improve, buy asap an high-end new computer but keep the Rift S to play at 80Hz with better settings than Now (new HMD resolution are just insane for a games like DCS)

But the fact is that I could not play DCS in 2D anymore.

For people new to VR, it’s important to understand that VR is a big trade of : much much better experience (you need Hotas with lots of buttons) but much much worse graphical settings, and yes reprojection, AWS can be acceptable if you fly F18/F16/A10 etc but not if you fly warbirds chasing other plane in near dogfight (seing ghost planes because AWS is just weird and immersion breaking)

Edited by Chapa

i7 12700k, RTX 3080ti, 64GB RAM, M.2 512Go, Quest 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2021 at 9:28 AM, drgdoomed said:

Looking for advice from fellow pilots that have had experience with play on vr ,Looking at the quest 2 or rift s however my ageing gfx card maybe an issue ,Atm i am waiting for stock and price drop on current gen cards who knows when it will end .

My current system

Ryzen 9 3900x

Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER

32 gb ram

nvme drives

And a Nvidia 980 ti

I mostly play online ,Would i be wasting my money on vr with my current graphics card for dcs.

G'day mate,

I picked up a quest 2 about 8 weeks ago. Great headset and DCS is amazing on it. I have a lower spec than you except for the GPU (I5 4690, 16gb RAM running a 5700 xt) and its more than playable with some acceptance of slightly softened settings. Take some time to watch some vids and realise you have to have memorised your HOTAS and you will love it.

On 7/11/2021 at 8:13 AM, rubbra said:

No problem. It *is* pretty damn good. There are "things" about VR that mean everything is a compromise, but as a flying experience, once you've done it, it's hard to go back to 2D.

Some things -

• image quality; VR image quality is like going back 15 years compared to 2D mode. Think more Minecraft than DCS on Ultra 😉 (that's harsh - it's not as bad as that, but it's the best I could up with).
  • Speed vs Image Quality - expect to spend a lot of time chasing this dream of having amazing IQ AND FPS. Never gonna happen.
  • Keybinds - expect to either use VoiceAttack or have like a gazillion keybinds on your HOTAS and then forget which one is which and accidentally lower your gear at 450 knots, or jettison stores on take off once in a while!
  • You know that moment when you look at your watch after a flight and go "where did the last 2 hours go" ? Double it with VR. Questions like "when did it get dark?" or "when did my wife and kids leave home?" will need answering once you live in the enclosed world of your VR headset.

I think your decision to hold off until you can sort out hardware is probably the right one. I didn't do the same - probably should - but got offered a Quest for a song, so thought it was worth a shot. Was expecting to have the worst performance ever, and then give it to my son. But have managed to tweak and tweak and tweak and have got it pretty stable and reliable with "good enough" image quality. I *will* buy a desktop. But not until I can get one with a decent GPU without selling any of my vital organs.

Loved the 'when did it get dark comment' I had this happen the other day, took the headset off and I was in a dark room. Walked into the lounge and my wife laughed saying she'd walked past five minutes earlier 'I have no idea what you were doing, but it looked hilarious in a dark room'.

On 7/10/2021 at 1:28 AM, drgdoomed said:

Similar story, look how it ended 🙂

Your specs are a higher than mine but I play SP almost exclusively and can accept lower fps and worse image quality. I also have no VR sickness, no IPD/eyes related problems. So it all is subjective. You've been warned.

@dburne 980Ti is way better than 1060 3GB - like 30-40%.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I can confirm that Quest 2 runs on 980Ti, i5 11400 with 32GB RAM on 3600 all set up on default values.

980Ti is eaqual as 1070Ti by performance.

Just go for VR. Price of the GPU is droping and even 6700XT as lovest price GPU is by performance around 10% slower than 2080Ti and will be under 500$ soon.