VIVID CHANNEL by Barthek

VIVID CHANNEL by Barthek

Following the changes applied to the Syria map, I decided to make some use out of the 2-week trial period and slightly alter the general look of DCS: The Channel Map. Here are the results. First, lets see how this magnificent map looks as default:

JPxiDGt.jpg

owYhmyv.jpg

nwGLd4a.jpg

Now, this is what I managed to achieve with some quick edits:

fQQWK4H.jpg

wtjs0Je.jpg

TyXCZUg.jpg

8GdAtm4.jpg

INSTALLATION GUIDE

1. If you're using any terrain mods, please deactivate them to avoid potential complications.

2. Download the MOD in JSGME-ready format from HERE.

3. Unzip the content of this package to your JSGME mods folder within your DCS main folder.

4. Activate the mod in JSGME. 

Happy flying,

Barthek

Edited by Barthek
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 5

Alright. Did some initial testing and here are my thoughts. I am no expert, but I have some ideas and inputs that you can do with as you like:

The good:
1. The break-up of the different fields colours finally give it the classic western european 'patchwork'/jigsaw look. All other things aside, I can say without a doubt that this is a much closer representation of the Channel in that respect.

2. The colour tone of the new fields: A lot of the fields that you tweaked now have a very natural, 'sun-died' look do them, giving them the feel of late summer which looks very realistic.

What can be better/tuned:
1:Personally; I do not enjoy the 'noise' added as I assume "wild grass". It is to spotty/noisy to me and does not blend as well as it could into the general scenery. The texture is outlined below.

https://imgur.com/gPVvaQp

2: The balance of colour of some of the fields feel a little off. Like I said, some of the new textures you added gives a more 'worn' late summer look, while some (I think of the classic) textures, has a very 'spring green/light green' vibe to them, making them stand out a little.

3: Some of the new textures you added might (I don't know) be wheat fields, which is nice, but they break in colour with the original wheat (yellow) textures- also suggesting different seasons.

Those points aside; a huge step in the right direction to giving this map a more realistic vibe (At least, I think so).

https://imgur.com/MiT0Lsx

Cheers! 

Edited by REDEYE_CVW-66

Impressive, most impressive. (in a heavy-breathing voice)

Would it eat up any FPS?

Thanks and keep up the good work.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

On 7/11/2021 at 9:58 PM, VFGiPJP said:

Impressive, most impressive. (in a heavy-breathing voice)

Would it eat up any FPS?

Thanks and keep up the good work.

I haven’t tried the channel mod yet, but all other overhauls from Barthek didn‘t affect performance for me. Only visual improvements!

Edited by Hiob
  • Thanks 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another awesome graphic mod, great work again! This feels like summer/early autumn compared to very green original graphics.

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz | Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M | Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 | OS W10 | GPU: Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24" | Devices: Oculus Rift, MS FFB 2 joystick, Saitek X 52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Gametrix Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

19 hours ago, THERION said:

This mod looks fantastic indeed, much more natural. Great work!

Are there any plans to implement this tech also to other maps like Normandie / Caucasus?

Cheers

Barthek already makes textures for Caucasus and Normandy (only summer for this one)

• Thanks 1

FOX-2 2021_ED_1.PNG

• 8 months later...

Does this mod still work? Ive installed it but it appears to have no effect on the colour of the fields that I can notice relative to the screenshot that look so beautiful, Maybe the file's naming scheme has changed or something?

Minor Lancaster Fanboy

EDbanner.png

17 hours ago, REDEYE_CVW-66 said:

It works as always. Use it all the time. You have most likely got the installation structure wrong. Keep in mind: This goes (Via OVGME preferably) into the MAIN install, not the SavedGames folder.

Its in the main install fine and asks to replace 2 files as it should, It also passes integrity check fine which i didn't expect? Does your version pass the IC?

Minor Lancaster Fanboy

EDbanner.png

I've installed it 3 times to C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta Which I believe is correct location and no change, dont have any other map mods or anything and doesnt work for me

On 5/5/2022 at 3:46 PM, REDEYE_CVW-66 said:

Ground textures are a bit weird- sometimes they pass IC, sometimes not. If you installed it correctly you graphics will be as in the OP. The change is unmistakeable.

Minor Lancaster Fanboy

EDbanner.png

Are you familiar with OVGME? If not, then check it out. It is worth learning. I assume you don't know- otherwise you would have known the install procedure: You have not matched the folder structure. As you can see, there is a 'mods' folder inside the download. This 'mods' folder needs to merge with the 'mods' folder in your main game install. The advantage of OVGME (And JSGME) is that you can toggle it- rather than overwriting original gamefiles.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
7 hours ago, REDEYE_CVW-66 said:

Check new version (V.2)= new thread

Well, not really: Normandy is a different map. He is asking for the Vivid Channel mod. But as far as I understand, this has been discontinued since the new Normandy map came out.

• Like 1