Tiger II for 2.7

Mizzy

did they fix the GBU for this plane..have not flown for sometime

i7 4770k @ 4.5, asus z-87 pro, strix GTX 980ti directcu3oc, 32gb Kingston hyperX 2133, philips 40" 4k monitor, hotas cougar\warthog, track ir 5, Oculus Rift

doh! my mistake, I ment CBU. had no dispersion, you needed a direct hit more or less..

i7 4770k @ 4.5, asus z-87 pro, strix GTX 980ti directcu3oc, 32gb Kingston hyperX 2133, philips 40" 4k monitor, hotas cougar\warthog, track ir 5, Oculus Rift

I'll just jump in here...

My historical knowledge of the F5 is thin, but only 2 stinky little Sidewinders? Two? It can carry tons of bombs but only two Aim-9s? What the point of a radar on the thing if they only designed it to hold two Sidewinders?

That said, I really like the DCS F-5 module. It's a lot of fun.

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

21 hours ago, Beirut said:

I'll just jump in here...

My historical knowledge of the F5 is thin, but only 2 stinky little Sidewinders? Two? It can carry tons of bombs but only two Aim-9s? What the point of a radar on the thing if they only designed it to hold two Sidewinders?

That said, I really like the DCS F-5 module. It's a lot of fun.

Gun reticle. The radar has an effective range of 20 miles, but allows you to track a single target so you can slave your seeker head and in a BFM fight helps with gun tracking.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

2 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

Gun reticle. The radar has an effective range of 20 miles, but allows you to track a single target so you can slave your seeker head and in a BFM fight helps with gun tracking.

Thank you for that. But do you have any idea why they would make it to have only two Sidewinders? It can carry tons of bombs, but only two missiles. Seems... weak. 

3 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

No, the range is 40 NM.

Edited by mayo25

43 minutes ago, Beirut said:

Thank you for that. But do you have any idea why they would make it to have only two Sidewinders? It can carry tons of bombs, but only two missiles. Seems... weak. 

Because two heatseekers is a perfectly normal loadout for most aircraft. You are unlikely to be able to take more than two good shots in a air combat anyway - at least IRL where missions are significantly more limited by fuel than in DCS.

Edited by TLTeo
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, TLTeo said:

Because two heatseekers is a perfectly normal loadout for most aircraft. You are unlikely to be able to take more than two good shots in a air combat anyway - at least IRL where missions are significantly more limited by fuel than in DCS.

I guess. Just seems a bit anemic for a fast little fighter with a radar. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beirut said:

F-5, by design, was light, simple and solid fighter. Two close range IR missiles were enough for self-defence, intercepting enemy bombers or performing CAP. Radar, while not being that powerful, was enough to provide some situational awareness and to guide to target in the final interception phase, previous guidance being provided of course by GCI. While not great, it could help in bad visibility, clouds and alike. It could help also at night, but F-5 versions without ILS were not considered as viable all-weather planes.

Now, just two weapons could seem not much, but potential opponents didn't had stellar payload either, in that regard. MiG-19 could also take 2 missiles, and it was later addition, not a day-one capability. MiG-21 also was upgraded during its service to take K-13 missiles (MiG 21F-13 variant, missile type is in the name here), also two weapons. I think MiG-21M was one of the first variants to carry 4 R-3S IR missiles, but I can be wrong here. 🙂 And F-5 was intended to fight in proxy wars with export versions of Soviet aircraft, that usually were either older iterations or having their capability limited for export. When it comes to Soviet stuff, you had domestic, most advanced versions (like MiG-21S), that were not allowed to be sold at all, Warsaw Pact variants, somewhat simpler and non-WP - usually most dumbed down or just older. Realistically, F-5 would meet latter two export tiers, as well as mix of MiG-19's and 17's. SARH weapons were introduced for 21's, (and one version of 19) but they were short range, and mainly intended to employ against non-manouvering targets, such as bombers, so for F-5 they wasn't real threat. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Fairey Gannet said:

F-5, by design, was light, simple and solid fighter. Two close range IR missiles were enough for self-defence, intercepting enemy bombers or performing CAP. Radar, while not being that powerful, was enough to provide some situational awareness and to guide to target in the final interception phase, previous guidance being provided of course by GCI. While not great, it could help in bad visibility, clouds and alike. It could help also at night, but F-5 versions without ILS were not considered as viable all-weather planes.

Now, just two weapons could seem not much, but potential opponents didn't had stellar payload either, in that regard. MiG-19 could also take 2 missiles, and it was later addition, not a day-one capability. MiG-21 also was upgraded during its service to take K-13 missiles (MiG 21F-13 variant, missile type is in the name here), also two weapons. I think MiG-21M was one of the first variants to carry 4 R-3S IR missiles, but I can be wrong here. 🙂 And F-5 was intended to fight in proxy wars with export versions of Soviet aircraft, that usually were either older iterations or having their capability limited for export. When it comes to Soviet stuff, you had domestic, most advanced versions (like MiG-21S), that were not allowed to be sold at all, Warsaw Pact variants, somewhat simpler and non-WP - usually most dumbed down or just older. Realistically, F-5 would meet latter two export tiers, as well as mix of MiG-19's and 17's. SARH weapons were introduced for 21's, (and one version of 19) but they were short range, and mainly intended to employ against non-manouvering targets, such as bombers, so for F-5 they wasn't real threat. 

I'm diggin' your history lesson. Thank you.  :drinks_cheers:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mayo25 said:

No, the range is 40 NM.

The effective range is 20. Thats when you can start tracking the target, correct?

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

22 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

Tiny bit off topic, but how do I slave the Aim-9 to the target lock? I understand generally dogfight mode and radar stuffs but I didn't know the F-5 had Aim-9 slave, could've helped me in a few situations... 😕

ASUS Tuf X570 Pro Wifi | Ryzen 7 5800X | 4x8gb 3200Mhz GSkill/Crucial | Gigabyte RTX 3060 TI | 1 500gb Samsung 860 EVO Boot SSD | 2 500gb HDD | 500gb Crucial NVMe (With DCS install) | EVGA 650BQ  |  Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + TM TF Rudder Pedals | TrackIr 5 | A handy dandy notepad ; )

F-5E | A-10CII | F-14 | FC3 | F-16 | F/A-18 | M2kC | MiG-19 | Sa342 | UH-1H | Ka-50 | L-39 | C-101 | P-51D | FW-190 D-9 | F-86 | Combined Arms | Mi-24P | Mi-8 | NS430 | Apache | "Christian" Eagle II ✝️ | Mirage F1

Primary Aircraft = Strong Red | Secondary Aircraft = Orange | Rarely Used = Yellow | Dead Aircraft/Not Bound = Purple | Recent Spike of Use = Teal/Cyan/Aquamarine/Whatever you want to call this

I don't think you do, because as far as I know the AIM-9P (which is really just an updated/export -J/N) does not have any sort of SEAM capability like Navy AIM-9G/H did. The AIM-9B is definitely too old for that. The USAF missiles only got SEAM with the AIM-9L/M, which is not carried by our F-5.

What you can do however is uncage the seeker head once it's locked something in its boresighted FOV, and it will keep tracking that target even if it goes off boresight a few degrees, while you pull a bit of lead to help the missile along.

edit: also, what the STT modes of the radar are meant to do, other than help out with guns tracking, is a) estimate distance to the target, so that you know at what distance to fire your missile and b) guide you on an intercept course to whatever it is you're locking (I think the cross clue puts you on pure pursuit, but I might be wrong there), which is necessary for all-weather intercepts.

Edited by TLTeo

4 hours ago, TLTeo said:

(I think the cross clue puts you on pure pursuit, but I might be wrong there)

I think if you keep the target at the center it would be a pure pursuit.

If you manage to keep a course and attitude which the target keep at the same bearing and azimuth while getting closer, you would be on a intercept course. But it should take a lot of practice to get that course and attitude within 10NM range, except if you are chasing a target that have a cold aspect with almost the same velocity.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/1/2021 at 4:59 PM, Beirut said:

Hi Beirut,

Another reason may be because the F-5 was mainly targeted for the Military Assistance Program, I.e. for foreign buyers.  Mid range missiles may have been off limits for sale (except for high priority customers like South Korea and Japan for their F-4s), or too expensive, or too unreliable at the time.  

Maybe 2 missiles also meant the customer would then have to buy more planes.  Taiwan was not granted the opportunity to buy F-4s.  They would up buying over 200 F-5s to protect their small real estate.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We are on BS3 now, so I can't see why ED couldn't produce an F-5E v2. I'd pay to see that (and some proper bug fixes and improvements to the flight model).

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."