Favourite Airbase (in game)

DTWD

I was just wondering which airbases you guys prefered flying into/out of the most?

I am still trying to practice all my different skills and take off's and landings usually are the top and tale of a practice session so I was after mixing it up a bit.

My current take off airbase is (can't remember the name) is towards the right of the overall map, on the coast near a horse shoe bay (with sailing boats etc) on it's right (if you are looking from the sea). I tend to land at an airbase a few miles to the left inland, you aproach from the sea and go over a town (can't remember that name either).

I could do with some longer runways if possible to practice late landings, or ones with more interesting aproaches. I tend to use ILS (on the hud) as a guide but usually trust my instincts with the visual aproach (probably explains the wrecks at the end of the runway) so it doesn't have to have ILS.

Regards

Paul

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For me the most attractive airfield is Sochi-Adler. It has two intersecting runways, with only 06-24 having ILS (from the sea) and lights. The northern approach is through hills.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

The "Admiral"

"Flaring to land is like squatting to pee...." :pilotfly:

Go on...explain then :smartass:

Sochi-Adler sounds interesting, could make a nice replay aproach if it's in the hills.

Regards

Paul

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The "Admiral"

"Flaring to land is like squatting to pee...." :pilotfly:

+1

Intel Xeon E5-1650 v2

ASUS Sabertooth X79

4 x 4GB Crucial Ballistix VLP PC3-12800

ASUS Cerberus GTX 1070 Ti 8 Gb

Seasonic Platinum 860W

Thrustmaster Cougar Uber II Nxt

CH Products PT/TQ/MFP

Slaw Pedals

TrackIR 5

the horse shoe it's Gelendzhik but it's at the left from the sea and Novorossijsk beside , i don't have a favorite base but the one i "dread" the most it's Novorossijk because of it's short runway i've made a video there (without music) where i do a sporty landing , Sevastopol runway's very short too i wonder what kind of units are stationed there in real life ..

Sevastopol. Don't ask me why. (I think it goes back to the old Flanker2.5 days)

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

GG would say the one thats furthest from the front :pilotfly:

Yes, I bet he will too. :) I agree with him, depending on the aircraft. Those just aren't the one I'm most interested in atm.

GG would indeed say if you're only flying five minutes to the front line, you're inviting visitors to your airfield.

Well, the idea is that today's 5 minute airfield is tomorrow's 30 minute one. ;) Plus, maybe my airfield is intentionally the first (and final) rest stop for visitors planning on uninvited longer trips. Maybe that airfield doesn't have much of a choice right now and I have a death wish and volunteer to defend it.

This reminds me of taking off from Seoul on Day 1 in the F4AF. You can see the FLOT from your airbase. At night its a regular fireworks show. Seeing Patriots launched around you as you take off isn't uncommon. The DPRK hasn't been nice enough to ask you if you'd like to move you fighter wing back a few kilometers before attacking. It can be a steady stream of very short CAPs and CASs.

Edited by RedTiger

Carrier landings are the coolest... I wish ships would roll and yaw on the sea like they do in IL-2. Landing on carrier in IL-2 in stormy weater is really, really hard.

Edited by Kuky
typos :)
  • Like 1

No longer active in DCS...

GG would say the one thats furthest from the front :pilotfly:

GG would indeed say if you're only flying five minutes to the front line, you're inviting visitors to your airfield.

That's why a mobile airfield is the best ;). When the front line changes you just move the carrier :D.

Carrier landings are the coolest... I wish ships would roll and yaw on the see like they. Landing on carrier in IL-2 in stormy weater is really, really hard.

Yep :thumbup::thumbup: . Totally agree those WWII birds are tricky even in good weather, especially for the fighters where you can't raise the seat, like my favorite Hellcat.

Cozmo.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Minimum effort, maximum satisfaction.

CDDS Tutorial Version 3. | Main Screen Mods.

I don't really have a favourite, to be honest. They're just runways. Though Sochi-Adler is in a great position, right next to all the mountains for instant terrain masking, low windy flights. 8)

Sochi-Adler is used a fair bit in the su27-hot-wind campaign, if you want to try it.

Cheers guys I will try some of these out over the weekend...although Far Cry 2 is also installed...and my girlfriend is bringing me home Fable 2...decisions decisions...

Regards

Paul

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Merzifon, duh :)

The Caucasus airbases are a little squirrely for me, on my slow computer I notice a performance drop compared to the original Crimea bases from Flanker 2. The coordinate origin of the Lock On map is still near Simferopol, so in Gudauta for example I always felt my jet was shimmying sideways on takeoff.

In that regard I like Belbek. It's in the (by far) most geographically accurate part of the map, is a real Ukrainian MiG-29 base, and faces the water with a challenging cliff that makes night approaches sort of memorable. I've also visited in real life.

I also liked Razdolnoye - which is funny since it doesn't exist in real life, and I removed it completely to create Merzifon. Its unique north-pointed runway, and the way it was tucked all the way in the northwest corner of the map, made it very convenient for testing and campaign design. Plus, transforming it into Merzifon got me acquainted with it on an intimate level.

I like Gudata alot. Its just a cool looking airbase and is quite similar to Sochi in terms of geography in the area, but its used less. So in a sense it feels much more peacefull away from the action usually online.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum