to the owners of Reverb G2 and Valve Index...

MrFlatfoot

Hi there!

I'v bought the Reverb G2 recently and it didn't work out for me. The edge-to-edge clarity of the G2 is awful for me and I guess my PC can't really power such high resolutions (RTX 2070 Super). Additionally shader mods oddly just didn't do anything as well.

Now I've heard only good things about edge-to-edge clarity (in-focus clarity or whatever you call it) about the Valve Index and since the native resolution is lower I'm hoping for a better experience.

Is there anybody out here who has both headsets and can confirm these thoughts?

I have both, but use only the G2 for dcs. I was going back to the index a couple of times, since I consider her the way better hmd, but if you experience the high res of the G2 it's hard to go back. 

I think with enough horsepower you get clear results with the index too, but I don't think the 2070 can do. 

Other then that, personally for me, the index lenses work better and the edge to edge is also way better. But that's just me. 

Tracking is also waaaaay better and no wmr to get upset about. If just the picture quality would be there in dcs. Other then that I use the index on my roomscale setup and be very happy about it. 

I have both Reverb G2 and Index - however just lately I have switched to Vive Pro 2.

Before getting the VP2, I preferred my Reverb G2 for flight sims for cockpit clarity, and my Index for made for VR games like Half Life Alyx.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

That bad part about VR is everyone's experience is going to be different due to a variety of physical characteristic reasons both in regards to the person and the respective VR device. 

They simply have to be tried and try various settings based on various recommended settings and go from there.  Maybe some day there will be a truly versatile VR headset in terms of being able to adjust several aspects.

Thank you for your replies!

vor 5 Stunden schrieb zcaa0g:

That bad part about VR is everyone's experience is going to be different due to a variety of physical characteristic reasons both in regards to the person and the respective VR device. 

They simply have to be tried and try various settings based on various recommended settings and go from there.  Maybe some day there will be a truly versatile VR headset in terms of being able to adjust several aspects.

That is exactly what drives me nuts. I'm trying to find the best headset for me but it seems that - even more so than with other hardware - there's no other way than trial and error since it is so dependant on personal factors and preferences and I simply can't solve it by reading..

Indeed, there is a bit of luck involved. I'm fairly happy with the edge to edge clarity of my Reverb G2 but that was pure luck tbh. I always hated the RIft S ergonomics and it was a terrible pain getting it in the sweet spot. I have a 2080 Super and it can't properly handle the G2 in DCS either. I run about 50% steam resolution and that works ok-ish. It's still far clearer than the old Rift S, can't comment on the Index as I've never seen one in person. I'm planning to grab a 4080 Super/Ti or RX 7800XT when they come out in the winter or spring.

• Like 1

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

Gentlemen, I find myself in a similar situation.  I had a love hate relationship with the G2--I just got tired of (what seemed like) endless tweaking and watching countless YouTube videos on settings... I couldn't find the right balance and I was spending WAY too more time researching what settings to use than flying so decided to sell the G2 and go back to TrackIR and 2d...  Then about two weeks ago my number finally got called for Point Control and the package actually arrived today.  I'm thinking of trying a Vive Pro 2, but just don't know if I want to jump back in or not.  As you all have said so well, trying to find the right headset ain't easy.

3 minutes ago, GoodHope said:

Gentlemen, I find myself in a similar situation.  I had a love hate relationship with the G2--I just got tired of (what seemed like) endless tweaking and watching countless YouTube videos on settings... I couldn't find the right balance and I was spending WAY too more time researching what settings to use than flying so decided to sell the G2 and go back to TrackIR and 2d...  Then about two weeks ago my number finally got called for Point Control and the package actually arrived today.  I'm thinking of trying a Vive Pro 2, but just don't know if I want to jump back in or not.  As you all have said so well, trying to find the right headset ain't easy.

Hmm not really sure what to advise - except to say if you did not find the Reverb G2 acceptable for you then maybe VR is not for you yet.

Vive Pro 2 is not that much better than the Reverb G2 really. I have both, love the Vive Pro 2 but for flight sims my Reverb G2 did just great.

But I did not spend a ton of time tweaking my Reverb G2, when I got it where I wanted I just stopped there and just gamed with it and enjoyed it very much.

I will say once you have spent a lot of time flying in VR you kind of get accustomed to the lower quality of the display and eventually it just does not bother so much, at least that was the way it was for me. I could not fly without VR now, not at all.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

56 minutes ago, dburne said:

I will say once you have spent a lot of time flying in VR you kind of get accustomed to the lower quality of the display and eventually it just does not bother so much, at least that was the way it was for me.

Without knowing what to advise, this may actually be the best advice... 

2 hours ago, GoodHope said:

I'm in the exact same situation as you - I have the best PC hardware available on the market, and despite doing all the tweaks, couldn't find a satisfactory balance of image quality and performance with my G2. So I now fly in 2D. I do not think you'll have a different experience with the Vive Pro 2 whatsoever; some of us just don't enjoy the current VR experience, while many others do. I'd suggest revisiting DCS VR in a couple of years when and if we have big leaps forward in PC horsepower or DCS multithreading.

Edited by GunSlingerAUS
  • Like 1

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

For my part I've now ordered a Index in the hope that it is different enough for me to get used to and like VR - because the general feel is awesome.

But if that doesn't work out I'm returning to 2D as well and hopefully new lenses and graphics cards (and also better dcs implementation of VR) will improve the experience in the future and close the gap to 2D in terms of graphical fidelity.

Edit: in hundsight I find it amusing reading how crystal clear and sharp the image with a G2 is and I put it on, was disappointed and wondered what one must take to find this blurry mess crystal clear.

It makes sense: you can't just wear the glasses of another person and see the same image as they do - otherwise oculists and optometrists would be half way out of a job.

So in addition to hardware and software specs now headshape, eyesight etc. etc. are important to see if a headset is for you. I didn't think of that before (I have no glasses) and reviews of course ignore this.

Edited by MrFlatfoot
  • Like 1

vor 6 Minuten schrieb Lt_Jaeger:

For sure you guys have to try the ReSharper something mod, found somewhere around here. Most of the blurriness is not the fault of the hmds but rather the way dcs renders the picture. I can't fly without the mod any more.... 

I tried. Somehow the shader only applied to the mirror image in SteamVR, not the actual picture through the headset.

5 hours ago, MrFlatfoot said:

So in addition to hardware and software specs now headshape, eyesight etc. etc. are important to see if a headset is for you. I didn't think of that before (I have no glasses) and reviews of course ignore this.

Yup.  On the previous generation of the Reverb, the G1, the head shape (or face shape) thing was definitely a factor.  A few of us ended up having to add a little extra thickness to the facepad to get proper eye relief from the lenses so we could have a good experience.  But, that was very few of us, and other groups of people had an entirely different set of issues that were taking away from their experience.  I have been pretty happy with my G2 so far, but I'm also a little baffled by some of the reviews on YouTube where they talk about a "significantly bigger sweet spot".  If anything, I think the G2s is a little smaller than the G1s, and I hated the off-ear audio of the G2 so much I took the phones off of it and use my Bose QC35s now.  Other people will tell you they love the audio on the G2, so its definitely all subective.

4 hours ago, MrFlatfoot said:

I tried. Somehow the shader only applied to the mirror image in SteamVR, not the actual picture through the headset.

Did you try using the END key to toggle the shader on and off while you had the HMD on to see if you could see a difference?  The shader menus will only show in the 2D mirror, but you should be able to see a difference in the HMD image when you toggle the shader on and off with the END key.  Some like what it does, others don't, so that too is very subjective.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

vor 11 Minuten schrieb eaglecash867:

Did you try using the END key to toggle the shader on and off while you had the HMD on to see if you could see a difference?  The shader menus will only show in the 2D mirror, but you should be able to see a difference in the HMD image when you toggle the shader on and off with the END key.  Some like what it does, others don't, so that too is very subjective.

I did, and I really focused on a few spots to see if there is any difference. Didn't see any. In the mirror image colors/saturation as well as sharpness were clearly different. 

Apparently I must have done something wrong, I just don't know what it was.

If you put on the HMD, fly for a few mins taking notes of all the faults and then go tune some settings and try again you will spend hours, get really frustrated and decide VR is just not right for you. The thing is that, for me at least, when you actually go fly it for a few hours you forget about all the imperfections, shimmering clouds etc. You just don't notice when your deep into a mission it all fades into the background.   

It will be great when the day comes you chuck the headset on and it all just looks great and then you go fly your mission at a constant 90fps but imo that could be easily 10+ years away still. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MrFlatfoot said:

I did, and I really focused on a few spots to see if there is any difference. Didn't see any. In the mirror image colors/saturation as well as sharpness were clearly different. 

It could also be that you're like me with seeing the improvement from the shader mod.  I can see that its turning on and off, I'm just not sure how much "better" it is than the original.  Some have reported amazing results, and my reaction is pretty much just "Meh..."  It might just be all of those different factors you mentioned that makes it great for some, so-so for others, and not even noticeable for some.  I'm in the middle group.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

On 7/13/2021 at 8:32 AM, MrFlatfoot said:

did you change the sharpening intensity in the reshade menu? I have mine set to 1.5 and it really is a night and day difference

Edited by DavePastry

I910900K, 4090, 32gb,Varjo Aero, no compromises: all VR all the time. 

I own a 2070 and a G2 and I have the love/hate relationship someone stated somewhat up in the post, but that relationship extends to DCS itself, needing the beefiest PC to run in VR. I have almost everything to the minimum setting, and the trees almost literally pop up in front of my eyes up to a point when flying nap of earth sometimes I have to pull up because the popping trees keep changing the horizon height...

The immersion is awesome in VR, though, and I can't think of going back to 2D.

vor 7 Stunden schrieb eaglecash867:

It could also be that you're like me with seeing the improvement from the shader mod.  I can see that its turning on and off, I'm just not sure how much "better" it is than the original.  Some have reported amazing results, and my reaction is pretty much just "Meh..."  It might just be all of those different factors you mentioned that makes it great for some, so-so for others, and not even noticeable for some.  I'm in the middle group.

I'm not sure, I looked reaaally hard to see any difference. Not a remarkable one, but any difference at all.

vor 20 Stunden schrieb GoodHope:

@MrFlatfootlet us know how the experience goes with the index--I'm hoping it works well for you.

Will do, thank you!

vor 3 Stunden schrieb DavePastry:

did you change the sharpening intensity in the reshade menu? I have mine set to 1.5 and it really is a night and day difference

I didn't change anything besides enabling the mod and I saw a really big difference - just not through the headset. As far as I know the image of mirror image and lens should be the same (besides of course the changes because of the different displays). And it just wasn't.

I stopped after some tries. But with the Index I will try again and keep your point in mind.

On 7/14/2021 at 3:22 AM, ignition22 said:

It will be great when the day comes you chuck the headset on and it all just looks great and then you go fly your mission at a constant 90fps but imo that could be easily 10+ years away still. 

That is why I returned Index and G2 because Rift S didn't lose in the resolution or FOV that much that the extra money for either one was warranted, but most importantly is the almost completely problem free experience with Oculus.

If Oculus would have put all in for Rift CV2 and keep price in 600-700 class, with same experience. It would have been great.

But now if you want great visuals and FOV, you need to suffer from tweaking and most importantly very expensive hardware upgrades to get it running.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

31 minutes ago, Fri13 said:

That is why I returned Index and G2 because Rift S didn't lose in the resolution or FOV that much that the extra money for either one was warranted, but most importantly is the almost completely problem free experience with Oculus.

If Oculus would have put all in for Rift CV2 and keep price in 600-700 class, with same experience. It would have been great.

But now if you want great visuals and FOV, you need to suffer from tweaking and most importantly very expensive hardware upgrades to get it running.

Yep this, had that been the case I would still be only with Oculus now.

After they stopped on the Rift for Quest 2 and Facebook requirement, I stopped on them.

But I have thoroughly enjoyed the Reverb G2 and now the Vive Pro 2 so far.

Don B

2 hours ago, dburne said:

Yep this, had that been the case I would still be only with Oculus now.

After they stopped on the Rift for Quest 2 and Facebook requirement, I stopped on them.

But I have thoroughly enjoyed the Reverb G2 and now the Vive Pro 2 so far.

I believe that after Rift S discontinued and Facebook account fiasco, the only route is to jump away from Oculus.

Bad thing is that now one needs to buy all from lighthouses to controllers and HMD, making it costly above 1000 to start.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Yes, a Rift S 'Mk 2' with higher resolution and no Facebook requirement would have been perfect. 

Sadly, after 4 cables and 2 headsets I returned my G2 for a refund and I'm back to using my Quest 2. The G2 just doesn't seem to have the reliability and ease of use as Oculus, at least in my experience.

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2