Beginner hotas sub $200

27 minutes ago, Penguinonice27 said:

Recently I got the f-18 hornet and tried flying it with vr hand controllers, my original plan was to use it exclusively in vr with them, but that hope is dashed so I was wondering what hotas under 200 would you suggest for the hornet in vr?

Why is it dashed?

1 hour ago, StevanJ said:

Why is it dashed?

Inability to control the weapons systems with the controllers efficiently. The controls of the odyssey need all but analog stick and a dpad to be used for normal controlled things, and the hornet needs more than those controls to be effective, also when I tried to get yaw to be controlled from one of the sticks it automatically shut off when I was controlling the throttle, also sensitivity issues regarding the virtual flightstick.

1 hour ago, Penguinonice27 said:

Inability to control the weapons systems with the controllers efficiently. The controls of the odyssey need all but analog stick and a dpad to be used for normal controlled things, and the hornet needs more than those controls to be effective, also when I tried to get yaw to be controlled from one of the sticks it automatically shut off when I was controlling the throttle, also sensitivity issues regarding the virtual flightstick.

Sensitivity issues regarding the flightstick?
I mean, you can easily refuel in the air with them FA18, F16 in the dark? Or Huey (I prefer the Mi8 though, as its easier to fly with touch controls)

Ive never struggled with weapons systems either.
But then, i only play online.
The F-16's weapons are a little more difficult, but i think thats down to early access issues, they arent as intuitive as the A10C'2 or the FA18.
If im loitering, i definitely prefer the A10C2, if im flying a strike mission on longe range targets, i go FA18.
If im flatening an area of insurgents, then, ill usually go CBU's on the F16.

Maybe you just need a little more practice?
Ive put both my Warthog, and G940 away to adapt to touch controls-
But then it is harder, and needs alot more skill, not everyone has the hand eye coordination.

1 hour ago, StevanJ said:

Sensitivity issues regarding the flightstick?
I mean, you can easily refuel in the air with them FA18, F16 in the dark? Or Huey (I prefer the Mi8 though, as its easier to fly with touch controls)

Ive never struggled with weapons systems either.
But then, i only play online.
The F-16's weapons are a little more difficult, but i think thats down to early access issues, they arent as intuitive as the A10C'2 or the FA18.
If im loitering, i definitely prefer the A10C2, if im flying a strike mission on longe range targets, i go FA18.
If im flatening an area of insurgents, then, ill usually go CBU's on the F16.

Maybe you just need a little more practice?
Ive put both my Warthog, and G940 away to adapt to touch controls-
But then it is harder, and needs alot more skill, not everyone has the hand eye coordination.

Sensitivity was a lesser problem, i might try using the controllers more, at present I'm installing the standalone version because i transferred the hornet from steam edition, the main reason was buttons and i like the feel of they joystick (i had an old ms sidewinder i liked). If you had a solution for the buttons I would like to know but the reasons behind wanting a hotas arent superiorly relevant,  i would prefer to know what a good sub 200 hotas is to shoot for when i have the money. 

Thrustmaster T1600m . Doesn't have enough buttons , but it's the only unit available that offers throttle and stick (and rudder control for that matter) at your price point afaik . Hall sensors are another plus .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

14 minutes ago, Svsmokey said:

Thrustmaster T1600m . Doesn't have enough buttons , but it's the only unit available that offers throttle and stick (and rudder control for that matter) at your price point afaik . Hall sensors are another plus .

Any opinions on ch products, I've heard they are near indestructible and are only $20 off my budget new ? Not trying to be rude, just want as much information as possible.

Edited by Penguinonice27

I personally find them great (note sig). Last forever , high-quality switches and plenty of them . If you can get a Pro throttle and stick for $220 , go for it .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

21 minutes ago, Svsmokey said:

I personally find them great (note sig). Last forever , high-quality switches and plenty of them . If you can get a Pro throttle and stick for $220 , go for it .

Ok, also ive been trying to install the t-45 mod but it wont work at all, is there a definitive guide to installing stand alone plane mods ?

6 hours ago, Penguinonice27 said:

Sensitivity was a lesser problem, i might try using the controllers more, at present I'm installing the standalone version because i transferred the hornet from steam edition, the main reason was buttons and i like the feel of they joystick (i had an old ms sidewinder i liked). If you had a solution for the buttons I would like to know but the reasons behind wanting a hotas arent superiorly relevant,  i would prefer to know what a good sub 200 hotas is to shoot for when i have the money. 

There is a thread on here (if you look for it) where a user has used a third party software to turn them into HOTAS, with working buttons and all sorts.
But i dont bother.

VKB gladiator nxt + CH pro throttle. its going to put you a little over budget, but the stick is well worth it, you'll probably keep it your whole career. Later u can upgrade the throttle. Or as previsouly mentionted CH fighterstick is a great choice, especially how easy it is to do the rubber band mod trick to increase the tension if its too soft. 

I've only had the CH Pro Pedals, they are indestructible but also rough and clunky. I've heard their stick/throttle are the same way. Basically their designs are stuck in the 1980's, but they do last. There is the old Logitech X-52 that might be worth considering. They are cheaply made and have had QC issues in the past (don't know about after Logitech merger). I had one a decade ago and it lasted about 4-5 years of heavy use. I used a Saitek X-55 until a couple weeks ago, it lasted about 6 years and still works fine, save for one button (ironically the least used). The X-55 was replaced with the X-56, which has an MSRP of around $200 but currently sell on Amazon for $350+. Currently I use a WinWing Super Taurus/Libra but that's way outside the price range given.

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

On 7/11/2021 at 8:58 PM, Penguinonice27 said:

Any opinions on ch products, I've heard they are near indestructible and are only $20 off my budget new ? Not trying to be rude, just want as much information as possible.

Problem with CH is that you need buy joy, throttle and rudder pedals, their stick and throttle don't have rudder control - can improvise with throttle mini-stick, ending costing more than $300.

VKB NXT ($120-150) has twist grip rudder control - with contactless sensor and can be paired with Thrustmaster TWCS throttle (has rocker for rudder control), CH PRO throttle or an other throttle that work standalone. NXT  + TWCS cost ~ $250 - 280 and similar with CH PRO Throttle.

In mater of stick no other surpass VKB NXT in price, features, quality up to $200 range.

Keeping the budget in $200 the only options are Thrustmaster FCS or Airbus HOTAS ($170 - 190) or Saitek X52 (~$150)  - brand not very recommendable due QC issues, see the complains in the Saitek dedicated forum here, or Reddit/HOTAS.

Edited by Sokol1_br