Stick Position on Takeoff

Weegie

Been a long time since I tried the Mustang

On returning to it I don't seem to notice a great deal of difference on stick positioning on take off & the effect it has on directional stabilty

I seem to remember that it used to be a lot more stable when you had the stick full back whereas now I'm struggling to notice the difference.

I know that holding the stick full back allows the tailwheel to move 6 degrees with rudder movement and central allows it to castor, but when taking off holding the stick back just doesn't make much difference to directional stability on takeoff any me any more. To the point now I just leave the stick central, as moving from full back to central around 80 knots, if anything, unsettles the aircraft a little, so it's just easier to keep it neutral the whole time

Is it just me?

Typically I'll have the rudder trim set to 5 right, aileron and elevator neutral, pitch full fine and throttle to around 43-45 manifold pressure (I find full throttle more difficult)

Stick forward unlocks the tailwheel, not stick neutral.

My personal takeoff technique is to trim the elevator nose down just shy of a quarter turn, rudder and aileron neutral and leave the stick alone until the tail comes off the ground on its own. I pick a point in the sky to stay aligned with for lateral control using the rudders and focus on that alone until the tail comes up.

This makes the takeoff exceptionally easy.

Edited by pmiceli
  • Thanks 1

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

My technique is to set rudder trim 5-6, aileron and pitch neutral, hold brakes, open up to 30" release brakes, then open in smooth motion  to 61", stick back from begging as plane accelerate i center the stick and apply a bit push and right aileron, depends if i want 3 point or 2 point take off i use less or more stick forward push.

I alwayes find much easier to take off at full power then at low as 40" at 61" before you notice you are in the air, at 40" it takes ages.

Oh one note if you have fuselage tank full you need to apply nose down trim before take off quite a bit 🙂

Some time i use over rev in order to get better acceleration P-51 is super easy to control.

Something like this

Edited by grafspee
  • Thanks 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

When the control stick is in the neutral position or pulled back, the tail wheel is locked; in this position it is steerable 6° to the right or left through the use of the rudder pedals. With the control stick positioned forward of neutral, the tail wheel is unlocked for free swiveling action.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, pmiceli said:

Stick forward unlocks the tailwheel, not stick neutral.

My personal takeoff technique is to trim the elevator nose down just shy of a quarter turn, rudder and aileron neutral and leave the stick alone until the tail comes off the ground on its own. I pick a point in the sky to stay aligned with for lateral control using the rudders and focus on that alone until the tail comes up.

This makes the takeoff exceptionally easy.

Well that explains it then, before I'm sure it was stick neutral to unlock the tailwheel so now you need to push it forward a little, certain that's changed from previous.

So it's not just me then that leaves the stick neutral, it just seems easier to let the tail come up on its own.

I'll try both your and @grafspee settings, to try to come up with what works best for me.

I'm not having any difficulty getting unstick without drama, just trying to refine my technique a little so I wander less and lift smoother.

Thank you all for the replies that explains everything, I wasn't imagning things.

On 7/12/2021 at 3:04 PM, Weegie said:

…before I'm sure it was stick neutral to unlock the tailwheel

Nope, it never was like that since 2012 release. Fw190 unlock tail wheel with neutral stick, not P-51.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice