An Open Letter to the Community

EvilBivol-1

As often happens in an information vacuum, wild and unfounded speculation breeds accusations and unnecessary emotions. Allow us to clarify some of what has happened over the past week.

Firstly and most importantly, the security of the retail version of the Russian release of DCS: Black Shark was compromised. Understandably, in this situation 1C and ED/TFC had to reconsider their release plans for both the Russian and western versions to make sure the product and the interests of the company are protected as much as possible under the circumstances. Among other changes to the release plan, it was decided that an online version of the Russian release would no longer be offered to western consumers as we had announced earlier. We do not feel it would be appropriate to explain this decision further, except to say that ED/TFC felt it warranted by the circumstances and deemed necessary to best protect the product and the company. It is your right to disagree. Other changes to the plan include increased protection of the western version by means of required activation for both the online download and retail versions. Also, ED will now attempt to provide a western demo of Black Shark sooner than planned. We want to avoid date estimates and exact feature sets for now, but certainly a functional demo before the holidays is the goal. Please remember, these plans remain subject to change and, as you have seen, very well might.

There have also been a lot of questions in regard to the “staggered” release plan and why ED/TFC chose this method. It’s quite simple and relates to ED/TFC’s contractual obligations to 1C, which is their publisher for the Russian release, as opposed to ED/TFC’s independent release of the western version. ED/TFC is under contract with 1C and had to deliver on that product first. Naturally, 1C wasn’t going to wait for ED/TFC to finish the international release while their product set ready to ship. With the Russian release out, ED/TFC can focus on finalizing their independent western release as well (which has now been made significantly more difficult by the events described above).

I also want to address some of the issues I often come across in regard to ED/TFC's relationship with the community and our forum.

We have spent a tremendous effort over the past year to keep the community well informed and up to date with product plans. I would like to remind you of our continual presence on the forum and openness to product questions, nearly monthly development updates, Producer’s Notes videos, general screenshots and videos, feature explainers (radio modeling, AI routines), sneak peeks into some of ED/TFC’s future plans, etc. By “us,” I mean not only ED/TFC staff, but also members of the ED Testers and ED Partners teams, many of whom have been actively supporting product discussion.

Open product discussion does have a price - it may not always turn out to be accurate. Plans change and if we’re going to discuss the product openly, we have to do so with that understanding. If ED/TFC is accused of bad intentions every time something changes, it may be easier to simply not discuss anything at all, which believe me, can be a tempting option, because the level of “damned if you do, damned if you don’t” is often disheartening.

In regard to our forum moderation policy, I would like to point out that this is an official company forum and yes, it does in some ways run a stricter moderation policy than some open community forums. Our forum rules are available for viewing and if you find them too strict, you are welcome to use another forum. In general, we ask that members steer clear of insulting each other as well as our products and the companies involved in making them, which is probably the most frequent problem that earns a warning on our forum. There are ways to be critical without being insulting and our forums are full of such examples as well as such critical posters. The other frequent problem would probably be redundant postings after ED or the forum staff have already acknowledged and addressed the issue. Some of the popular themes in this category would be StarForce and missile modeling issues. We make an effort to acknowledge such issues and once we do, continual complaints on them are generally viewed as spamming/trolling the forum and treated as such.

As some of you may know, we had performed a “ban amnesty” earlier this year, where many of our formerly banned accounts were unbanned and allowed back on the forum. This action was not blind and we evaluated accounts on a case by case basis. Unfortunately, some members continue the actions that had led to their original ban and will as such remain banned.

The final issue I want to address is the string of bans on our forum over the past few days. Let’s be clear and please spread the word wherever you see us accused of “random bannings” and otherwise unreasonable moderation – we have recently issued temporary (6 month) bans to over a dozen members after confirming their participation in the illegal distribution of the product. Promises to buy later don’t excuse theft. We continue to track this behavior and will certainly continue to ban any forum member found to be stealing our product. Naturally, we have been actively deleting posts/threads which undermine the security of the product.

Although the western forum remains open to discussion and we will continue to answer questions as we have in the past, product support is now limited to the Russian forum, as the Russian release is the only version currently available for purchase and is limited to the CIS. Product support will be provided on the English forum when the western version is released.

In conclusion, there is a reason we are spending time writing this letter. There is a reason ED/TFC spends time and money keeping a forum and participating in it. If we didn’t feel you were an important part of the product, we wouldn’t be here, talking to you now; we wouldn’t be keeping a 100+ page Q&A thread and we wouldn’t open wishlist threads asking for your input. Just don’t confuse this with the idea that forum members drive development. Forum members contribute to the development process and are certainly on the developers’ minds, but there are many other considerations that must be accounted for to secure the product’s success and the company’s future, without which, none of this would even be possible. We understand and accept the reality that we can’t please everyone all the time. Do you?

Edited by EvilBivol-1
  • Like 1

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what EvilB? The vast majority here are pretty level-headed and patient and know that ED and you guys always welcome healthy criticisms. I'm not surprised that it has come to this. I knew the trolls were waiting for a long time for this and they did not disappoint. I'm just sorry that it has come to this; you having to write this open letter to the community.

This really piss me off, man.

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

Ive been a loyal customer of ED and TFC for the last 8 years or so (Id like to believe), and I have to say Im impressed by the quality of work performed. I will agree that that torrented BS info is showing the kind of garbage we have in our community, and I fully understand why we're (west) last to get it.

Im not suggesting anything that could benefit one certain group as a whole...and I know that you cant please everyone. But if I may ask one small question: is there any way possible that we can at least get a startup procedure by screenshot sequence and/or keystroke sequence? Perhaps by a beta tester?

Some of us would like to start helping out by producing profiles for their certain joysticks that many of us are likely to have, myself included. All Im suggesting is a small bone thrown to the dogs, nothing more. :)

I for one have to respect Wags and all at ED. I am a Die hard fan of combat Flight Sims from the early days back in the early 90's. I have seen the posts at certain torrent sites and am sickened at what goes on. I will wait for the Western release and will enjoy it when it comes out.

so ED protect your product and your interests, I know there is only so much you can do once it is released to the public. I support you and will be looking forward to your western release.

S!

Boxer

i dont mind any protection schemes as long as it is not the limited install protection, i.e. starforce portection allowing only 5 installs......

as stated it is my right to have an opinion about anything, and in this case, i say 2 things...

a) i am NOT getting any program that has limited install.

b) ED, TFC, DCS...you guys rock!!! ...if matt was a girl..maybe i would want to marry her..errrr him...cough..point is...ED, TFC, AND DCS ROXX!!!!

also, i understand that the developer wants to protect their IP...not just DCS, but most developers...just keep in mind, i really hope such a developer does not take the EA route...were the end user gets the short end of a stick, and have to pay...not just for the purchase of the prodcut, but the product and its flaws and insecurities....

like the youtube videos showing th game trying to play i think it was Gears of War for PC, in which the retail product is broken, messing up the user's computer's OS, and having to end up getting a crack just to get the retail version of the game they have just purchased to work....

Edited by hannibal

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

I'm sorry to say that I fully expected what has happened to have happened. It's very regretable, and unfortunately the people that it hurts most are those of us willing to pay for the product in the first place.

Another victory for those that believe that piracy is what the internet and freedom of information is all about. Well done guys, you've forced a company to re-engineer a piece of software, and probably forced those with BS on their Christmas lists to wait until after the holidays.

What makes it all the more upsetting is that this is one of the few remaining companies with the skill, expertise and willingness to put years of detailed development work into piece of software to feed an ever demanding and ever decreasing audience. It does make you wonder why they bother and dont just join the majority and make half assed console titles.

Hats off to all at ED, TFC, XSI, Thunderworks, Microsoft and all the other flight sim developers out there. I for one appreciate your effort, and my dollars are waiting to back that up.

• Like 1

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On any online community i've been involved with it's impossible to escape the negativity. Warbirds online for example is a great community, but it has a few negative ones who seem to cast a shadow on the entire community.

What happens behind the scenes at ED and associates isn't really any of our concern. The Demo will come out when it's consolidated and security of company and company assets will always take priority.

Business is business...I wouldn't expect any other conduct. Especially if we plan to see future additions such as AH64 and A-10 etc.

This is all coming from a guy who bought a WHOLE new Computer just to run BS at 120fps...so if there's any question on my "dedication"...let that be clarification ;).

Edited by element1108

hmmm... right now i'm thinking about searching for torrents and reporting them...

usually i think it's the developers / publishers problem, and they should care about stuff like that by themselfes. and usually, some (especially big) publishers almost ask for it, because they sell unfinished products for "public betatesting", don't support the community and very often the product is (imho) not WORTH the full price.

but in this case, i really can NOT understand how people can spread that software in unofficial ways! we ask for a hardcore-SIM, and the market for these is small. We all know, that IF we want to get some more sims in the future, the companies producing them have to EARN MONEY - noone is producing them only for fun.

And then, i always see people complaining that there are no innovations out there, too many small developers had to close the gates or had to sell themselfes to the "big" ones, and they don't support risky innovations - they produce the same games, year by year, only the numbers change (and some grafics), like fifa05/06/07/08 etc.

And then, the very same people complaining about these facts and telling storys why they pirate software, and why they would buy it when there only would be something worth to buy etc., start pirating a INNOVATIVE product, a HARDCORE-SIM for a small market, and a SMALL INDEPENDENT DEVELOPER A N D PUBLISHER.

so, all in all, i really don't get it how stupid people can be! and it REALLY pisses me off. and i really think about doing some research and screw them...

Democracy is choice, not freedom...

hmmm... right now i'm thinking about searching for torrents and reporting them...

usually i think it's the developers / publishers problem, and they should care about stuff like that by themselfes. and usually, some (especially big) publishers almost ask for it, because they sell unfinished products for "public betatesting", don't support the community and very often the product is (imho) not WORTH the full price.

but in this case, i really can NOT understand how people can spread that software in unofficial ways! we ask for a hardcore-SIM, and the market for these is small. We all know, that IF we want to get some more sims in the future, the companies producing them have to EARN MONEY - noone is producing them only for fun.

And then, i always see people complaining that there are no innovations out there, too many small developers had to close the gates or had to sell themselfes to the "big" ones, and they don't support risky innovations - they produce the same games, year by year, only the numbers change (and some grafics), like fifa05/06/07/08 etc.

And then, the very same people complaining about these facts and telling storys why they pirate software, and why they would buy it when there only would be something worth to buy etc., start pirating a INNOVATIVE product, a HARDCORE-SIM for a small market, and a SMALL INDEPENDENT DEVELOPER A N D PUBLISHER.

so, all in all, i really don't get it how stupid people can be! and it REALLY pisses me off. and i really think about doing some research and screw them...

Go get em Tiger!!! GRRRR....

It really amazes me that some people cant understand how and why a company dose things.

How can they be so angry at ED for such silly things?

I havent had any complaints towards ED about anything so far and i am pleased at how open they are and i hope that this event dose not further discourage them in any way, especially with future releases.

Some nice comments that I fully agree with... we as humans really do not know what's good for us... we crave such a well developed product, a hard core flight sim with great graphics... our wishes get granted and then some poor soul has to ruin it for all... if it's free it doesn't mean it's JUST, we would all ask for our money we worked for... bottom line is if piracy prevails we will not have people like ED to develop software like... and guess who looses then... what will you have to play on your PC's then?

No longer active in DCS...

Very kind words and I thank you for taking the time to share all these information with us. That is really much appreciated and I hope it will cool down things a bit. After all, this delay will increase the quality of the product and with the different localizations offered, it will indeed make a lot more sense than getting a foreign version, give the complexity and detail of this simulation.

Since we will also have an international demo sooner than we expected, that piracy is not only criminal and shortsighted, but it is also pointless.

I take your offer and disagree on some very minor parts, though, but I will keep these for myself regarding the current situation on the boards and in respect to the moderators work and most of all, of the ED-team.

On the banning, I would like to express my depest concerns, though. The idea that it has a random element IMHO is due to the fact that on the one hand people are discussing things they cannot know without having access to the release-version openly, while others get banned for no obvious reason. Again, I know it's a difficult situation, but I hope your judgement is based on hard evidence rather than personal impression, to make it a fair judgement, rather than a witchhunt.

~S!~

Edited by Feuerfalke

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

Thank you for your words, EB.

This is so sad and I saw that coming.

Don't know what to say.

All I can say is, that it is so sad that some few people are so grabby and selfish, and that they ruin a big thing for a lot of other people.

Thank these guys BlackShark is a little further away just because they wanted to get it first. I'm really mad about these people.

Now I have to handle aditional activations because of them!

I can understand ED/TFC's action, that they now have to do, because of what happened.

Absolutely no blame on them.

I always stated and thanked for their great support.

Never saw that from another developer in that way and with that strong presence to their community.

But I am not disappointed of ED/TFC.

I am disappointed about the few people who did that on the costs of the community, ED and TFC, for their sake only.

And it's them who wonder why some game or sim developers disappear from the market.

But how would they pay their bills if their costumers won't pay for their products.

Do they really don't know that such silly things can make ED/TFC run out of steam to develop again.

If that happened to me I wouldn't have the same energy and less passion to go on.

But I stay with ED/TFC more then ever. Support from my side is granted.

They always did a great job and stayed with the commuinity and now it's time to give back!

Feuerfalke... EvilBivol actually explain why some of the very recent bannings took place... explanation does not seem random in this case. Here's also one point... saying "for no obvious reason" means exactly that... it is not obvious (to you) why they were banned.

No longer active in DCS...

Thank you for the support.

On the banning, I would like to express my depest concerns, though. The idea that it has a random element IMHO is due to the fact that on the one hand people are discussing things they cannot know without having access to the release-version openly, while others get banned for no obvious reason. Again, I know it's a difficult situation, but I hope your judgement is based on hard evidence rather than personal impression, to make it a fair judgement, rather than a witchhunt.
The fact that some members appear to possibly have obtained an illegal copy and yet are still here should tell you that we are only banning those for whom we have direct evidence. Of course, we hope the others do the right thing anyway. As I mentioned above, this process is ongoing and unfortunately, I would expect more bans to come.
Edited by EvilBivol-1

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

Feuerfalke... EvilBivol actually explain why some of the very recent bannings took place... explanation does not seem random in this case. Here's also one point... saying "for no obvious reason" means exactly that... it is not obvious (to you) why they were banned.

Correctly noticed - IMHO means "In My Humble Opinion" :smilewink:

EB has an important message and that is a lot more important than my personal opinion and what it is based upon.

Edited by Feuerfalke

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

I'm just as eager at getting my hands on BS as the next guy, but I for one am very willing to wait for an english version. I can't say I understand the mad rush to get a copy of the sim in an illegible language - surely if you've waited this long, you can keep it up for a few more months?

I appreciate the openness of this forum and the developers & testers. I hope they are willing & able to continue it like this through future versions of DCS.

I find it disheartening reading some of the post around here. I cant imagine what its like for those actually working extremely hard on the product. I'm really greatfull for how much ED keep us all in the loop providing us with information most days. It is one of the few pleasures i get to come home from work and check the forums to find yet again another jam packed post by one of the ED partners with juicy info on BS. Although ill be over the moon with the release of Black Shark i for one will miss the excited adrenaline packed frenzy i get when clicking my 'DCS Forum' favouties link.

(until the next DCS module anyway) ;)

Open letter Community

Well, all people are eagerly awaiting black shark and most of them want to play it right now. We know that its russian version leaked but it doesn´t mean anything because community knows if we want to keep this genre alive we have to pay for it.

And I believe in this community!!!!

I´m sure that most of these people will finaly buy it.

IF I remeber well, when LOckon FC was released a lot of people paid twice for download to provide money to ED.

This time I´m gonna buy BS twice too.

Good luck to ED

[sigpic][/sigpic]

MB MSI x570 Prestige Creation, RYzen 9 3900X, 32 Gb Ram 3333MHz, cooler Dark rock PRO 4, eVGA 1080Ti, 32 inch BenQ 32011pt, saitek X52Pro, HP Reverb, win 10 64bit

IF I remeber well, when LOckon FC was released a lot of people paid twice for download to provide money to ED.

Ive purchased all 3 versions of FC (download, gold and standalone), and even went as far as to buy it for a few other forum members here as well, and gave my downloadable copy to someone less fortunate than myself. Even though I dont see eye to eye with certain others here, that doesnt hamper my support to the devs one bit. I may not play BS, but Ill get it just to support their product (and hopefully obtain an A-10 trainer).

• Like 1

I picked up Flanker 2.5 from a bargain bin some years ago, and it was great gameplay! Both online and offline. The moment I went to look online, I found the first postings on Lockon.

When Lockon was released, I immediately went out, and paid full price for it. Even though i knew it didn't work on my Voodoo5... :)

I am really into freeware, and opensource, and linux and everything. I hardly buy software, because for almost everything there is a free alternative. In fact, the last software I actually bought was BattleField2.

I really don't like all the protection schemes of registration, activation etc.

All this aside, I am going to buy DCS:BS when it comes available for us, and I swear I will leave that torrent alone! In fact, I'll try and get FC to keep me busy till then...

ED has my support for great products...

MSI 870A-G54, AMD Phenom II X2 555 @Phenom II X4 B55 BE, 3.2 GHz quad-core, Asus EAH4870 DK/HTDI/512MD5, OCZ Gold Edition DDR3 1333MHz 4GB Kit Low-Voltage. Budget = Cheap = Good :D

Ive purchased all 3 versions of FC (download, gold and standalone), and even went as far as to buy it for a few other forum members here as well, and gave my downloadable copy to someone less fortunate than myself. Even though I dont see eye to eye with certain others here, that doesnt hamper my support to the devs one bit. I may not play BS, but Ill get it just to support their product (and hopefully obtain an A-10 trainer).

Almost word by word, I can repeat the same thing... Via online shop I ordered 20 copies for my squadies. I think that speaks for itself about our commitment.

I'm selling MiG-21 activation key.

Also selling Suncom F-15E Talon HOTAS with MIDI connectors, several sets.

Contact via PM.

EB,

Thanks for the update. Very informative and thats all we can ask.

Can I just clarify one thing please?

Has the release strategy changed and all this dissapointment been the result of the post on how to "activate" the English language on the Russian release?

If it has, then I understand, if not...ive definately missed something and would appreciate someone on here explaining.

Thanks again, very much appreciated.

Regards,

Gary

I5 - 1TB SSHD, 256 SSD - Nvidia 1070 - 16gb ram - CV1