An Open Letter to the Community

EvilBivol-1

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i reported this thing taking place on17th of this month when russians got there game..and if i were ed i would assume that source is in russia..at least i think that, cuse tey had games in there hands and afterwards is easy to download.

Yes ED protect your product and do all u need to catch these tiefs..there nothing more noting less..gl ED sorting this one out..

I can only answer your first point with a question. Why wasn't the LO:FC dvd version of SF used in the first place? And why not use a CD/ ID checker for online play? If the former was already compromised then why not rely on the latter of an ID checker for online play like the rest of the PC gaming world?

On the DVD protection: I don't know, that isn't a question I can answer for you, I could only guess.

For the last question, I can guess again, and probably correctly: This will only affect a very small number of people. A lot of people play offline exclusively.

Your second point, as you suggest, is down to the individual and how they treat their particular hardware upgrades. But we have seen many PC savvy individuals use up their activations becasue they were not aware of or failed to use the reg back up utility. Yeah I know they didn't read the following instructions which were posted after they downloaded, regarding the .. etc . etc. But anyway at this point how can activations solve the problem of a Russian copy of BS that's already been cracked?

I can't answer this one in detail unfortunately. All I can tell you is that it will work.

If they want to shut them down then spend time on introducing an online checker, along with a patch to change the BS version making the compromised BS completely useless from this point forward. Once the crackers fart around offline for awhile they'll have to buy to play online or stop using which is no loss sale to ED/ 1C.

Well ... see above ... above. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I also agree with Cowboy.

Does concern me that the dev team will feel let down but guys, one rotten apple and all that.

I can assure the dev team that I will happily buy BS, from wherever, ligitamately, in order to support our hobby.

I may not be the most patient of souls, and yes, I was one of those asking for more information on D/L release.

However, I certainly wasnt after an illegal version or unprepared to pay the full price.

I have no interest in obtaining a pirated version and will wait with the other committed simmers here to get the product in the proper manner.

Regards,

Gary

I5 - 1TB SSHD, 256 SSD - Nvidia 1070 - 16gb ram - CV1

This really ticks me off...

I couldn't care less if someone pirates some bit of Ubisoft of EA garbage since all of that stuff is a dime a dozen for them anyway.

The fact that piracy knows no discretion means that everyone is subject to it, including ED. And this is sad because I worry about a company like ED's ability to survive losses like this. I'm not surprised by this at all, unfortunately. I could say something simplistic about not having a staggered release discouraging those who would grab an illegal copy since I had thought about that, but thats all just speculation. It probably would have been cracked anyway. :(

For those who are upset about the changes due to the compromise...well, this is par for the course, folks. You should be familiar with the concept of one person ruining the fun for everyone by now. It sucks, but that's life.

If they want to shut them down then spend time on introducing an online checker, along with a patch to change the BS version making the compromised BS completely useless from this point forward. Once the crackers fart around offline for awhile they'll have to buy to play online or stop using which is no loss sale to ED/ 1C.

That is very smart actually.

Regards

Alex "Snuffer" D.

AMD FX8350 (8 core) 4.1GHZ ::: 8GB Dominator 1600mhz ::: GTX660 2GB ::: 2xHD ::: 24" ASUS

open letter

Just my 2 cents.

The great marketing idea would be to release Black Shark without copyprotection.

This confidence would be higly appreciated by high sales from all simmers.

Now that we can see BS cracked.

As I said , just my 2 cents. :-)

Although I understand to ED with CP. I proposed Steam as a reliable CP.

[sigpic][/sigpic]

MB MSI x570 Prestige Creation, RYzen 9 3900X, 32 Gb Ram 3333MHz, cooler Dark rock PRO 4, eVGA 1080Ti, 32 inch BenQ 32011pt, saitek X52Pro, HP Reverb, win 10 64bit

There is one way of copy protection that is not all that popular among games - solely on account that it is realy the hardest one to crack - USB dongle :)

USB sticks are getting so small today that you can insert some of them fully into USB port, so there will be no trouble to distribute them inside Jewel or DVD case....

I'm selling MiG-21 activation key.

Also selling Suncom F-15E Talon HOTAS with MIDI connectors, several sets.

Contact via PM.

... the security of the retail version of the Russian release of DCS: Black Shark was compromised. ...

... Understandably, in this situation 1C and ED/TFC had to reconsider their release plans for both the Russian and western versions to make sure the product and the interests of the company are protected as much as possible under the circumstances. ...

... increased protection of the western version by means of required activation for both the online download and retail versions. ...

You're basically saying that legitimate customers will face even stronger restrictions in the use of their DCS:BS license, whereas illegitimate users do not have any restrictions.

DCS:BS's protection was defeated in less than a week, how long will the new one last?

Makes me wonder how much StarForce charges for each "protected" software instance. They are even worse than the ones who pirate software.

I am not buying DCS:BS if the DVD version requires activation, period.

There are numerous (large) companies, who implemented DRM in their products (including music and movies), that have discontinued their DRM services, therefore making it impossible for users to use their products. Most of those companies did not refund cash. ED cannot guarantee that it will remain in business indefinitely, and is thus unable to guarantee that will be able to offer its DRM services (activation) for as long as customers need it. Customers should not accept this.

There is one way of copy protection that is not all that popular among games - solely on account that it is realy the hardest one to crack - USB dongle :)

USB sticks are getting so small today that you can insert some of them fully into USB port, so there will be no trouble to distribute them inside Jewel or DVD case....

This really isn't a strong protection either. Many protection systems are not cracked, they are bypassed. Let's save a USB port.

I understand ED's decision regarding the cancellation of the Russian internet download for the western costumers. I personally wanted to buy the Russian version of Black Shark (I speak the language). Perhaps it will be available sometime later for western customers.

I am not buying DCS:BS if the DVD version requires activation, period.
That's your right. If ED feels that DCS sales are more hurt by the CP methods than helped, perhaps they will change their minds.

We will not have a StarForce debate here, as we have been having it for the past few years. ED knows that some will be opposed to their method of CP and will forego the purchase as a result.

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

All this bu****t about legitimate customers blah blah.....

This game will be able to be bought from shops around the world do you REALLY think that ONLY "legitimate innocent honest" people will buy this game.

Piracy of software is EVERYWHERE (EVERY COUNTRY).

And anyway who are some people on the internet to say that there shouldn't be an increase in protection (of a obviously insecure product) because we are "Innocent cute cuddly honest people".

About the whole "it got cracked before so whats the point" ???????? WHAT??

Wife: You know the people next door got robbed and murderd the other day and our alarm systems broken.

Husband: Really!! Gosh lets save us the hastle and money in getting ours fixed and improved, we gonna be robbed and killed anyway, Oh well.

and is thus unable to guarantee that will be able to offer its DRM services (activation) for as long as customers need it

This is a good point though, but I am sure a plan can be made as even when a company goes under (doubt they will but anyway), the software and rights to it are still worth alot and will probably be bought where either the service will be continued at a low level or some other plan OR they drop the service completely and your F***ED.

Edited by Ratel
  • Like 1

If we waited for so long, we can wait another 3 months :) I have met Matt Wagner in person several times when he was still responsible for Maddox in UBI Soft. Matt is great person and dedicated aviation/simulation man. I feel honored meeting and knowing him. I also deeply respect ED for their work and commitment. This sort of developer is really rare these days.... I'm going to buy BS with any kind of protection you intend to include. BS will join the rest of Flanker series on my shelf ;)

Unfortunatly, piracy cannot be won.

Hacker and such make a point of honor to be able to said they are the first to break a code.

Willing or not any program will become availiable by torrent or any b2b comunity sooner or later.

The hurts are the company and the legit customers. There s not much to do about it.

If program are re-engeneered each time their security are broken, they will never be launched.

90% of the people who acquire the product via torrent wouldn t buy the product anyway.

Now if theis was a source code leak its another game.

I am just worry that because of this whole thing, I will never be able to play a game I have been waiting for so long. I am willing to pay in advance to the ED team as a incentive for them to release the western version. I really would like to experience this game and see if it as good as I have hope. I would love to see the series to continue with other projects, what ever they may be. I wish all of us interested could all pre order as an incentive for the developers.

I know this does not mean much, but for the ED team, give me a pay site and tell me how much, I'm there. Looking forward to play, crash and have fun.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Don't take anything stated below as offensive to anyone!

I respect ED in the way that they want to secure the product and at the same time I want to smack their heads for doing the classic mistake, they're doing the exact thing that will rather make a community hate them than love them, big example here being ubisoft.

Now don't run to conclusions and say ah you downloading whore etc.... I admit I download games and movies, like anyone of you. My point is the following.

Whenever you try to enforce a DRM protection people will crack it and because it will have a higher profile when it's cracked because it was harder to do so.

You also have a bunch of people who are against DRM and I actually understand that very well since I've experienced this problem myself. I bought the downloaded version twice because my activations ran out and ED took over 2/3 weeks to replenish them. Yes I know they don't have to do that and it was in the holidays and such so I cannot blame them. But the fact is that after 12 days I was so pissed I bought the ****ing game twice because I wanted to play it and we had a match coming up.

Tough luck one might say, maybe so but look at it from this point. When someone runs out of activations they have to ask for new activations and it will take a few days to make this whole thing happen. In the meantime people cannot play the game THEY PAID FOR. So when you look at this you could say that you're buying a pizza but you can only eat 2/3's of it. And what will people do. Find a way to eat the other third of the pizza.

Same thing with software. Don't believe that making this shit harder to crack it will be more secure, it won't. Most of the time it will have a counterproductive effect and you're only cutting yourself in the fingers.

And yes I will buy DCS because the choppers are kickass things to fly even when I do not agree on certain things, this is no factor tho.

Hope it was not too much of your time and within the rules.... (I have no clue when you cross them these days).

Yorick.

Not being rude....but what is the point of the demo?

You obviously have to put a lot of resources into the demo to get it working, debugged, distributed etc.

We are going to buy the game no matter what we think of the demo. The demo may be full of bugs (remember lockon) in which case we will buy the game because obviously the game could not be released in the state the demo was in, or, the demo is a belter and we love, so we buy the game.....I just think it's a waste of time.

The flight sim community is tiny in comparison to other communities. We will buy the game no matter what state it is as this is the first of its kind for a very long time. I doubt Joe Bloggs off the street is gonna come across a demo of a game he has not heard of and think , this looks cool, I think I will buy it.

Edit...Maybe I answer my own question. Maybe it is fairly easy to do a demo and will just give us a taster of what the full game has to offer, just a bloomin teasing us then I guess!!!

Edited by Dr_Watson

I don't support excessive hysterics. I also thought I would add that I personally cannot really conceive of obtaining retail software that needs to be activated to work.

Essentially every copy protection system can be circumvented, it is only a matter of time and effort. On the other hand those customers that support the developer will pay regardless. I fear ED is fighting a losing battle and risks losing many customer's sense of satisfaction in process.

I'm not sure if, or when I will buy. Most likely I will obtain my copy only when it is possible to circumvent the need to connect to the internet to conduct an install. For me it is almost a matter of ethics that software should be installable while offline.

Thank you for your efforts,