Decided to mod the F-14 HUD

Xtorris

Any input would be appreciated (not bright enough, ladder too thin, etc.). It's just a bunch of vectors in a .psp file, so adjustments are easy, now that everything is in place. 

Long Story short, I wanted the HUD to appear a little more crisp in my VR headset, so:

comp.jpg

Edited by Pacientis
  • Like 6

Nice work, but....

I will stick with the original one and still think it is way too good for that time period, same would be true for the CRT's.

As a child from this day, I remember enough burned in CRTs with fuzzy pictures. That's exactly what I want to see and what keeps me out of the Hornet and alike. As Heatblur stated, the current HUD in our Tomcat is anyhow way better than the original and I believe them, knowing what a pain in the butt it was to make early computers do their job in a timely manner. Wish today's programmer would fancy that tradition of lean code to avoid delays....but that is another topic.

So if you do a more washed out version....  😉   

I know it's crazy since I strive, most probably as everybody else, to optimize the picture in the VR HMD as clear and fast as possible  🤦‍♂️

• Like 4

I don’t know where everyone gets the idea that CRT screens were fuzzy and hard to see properly. They were as good as what signal you put in them, if you’re using an old VCR with poor quality tapes that’ve been recorded over countless times then you’re going to get a pasty rubbish picture. CRT’s were good, look at CRT computer screens from that era, as long as you didn’t let them burn in they were crisp and clear. 

Edited by Q3ark

Are those small "-5" and "+5" suppose to be that clear? And should the "+" signs be there? You might have found bugs here - thx for your report.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

11 hours ago, draconus said:

Are those small "-5" and "+5" suppose to be that clear? And should the "+" signs be there? You might have found bugs here - thx for your report.

Yeah, the small "+" signs are even in the default HUD_Elements.tga file.

6 hours ago, Tank50us said:

I like this, and may download it when I get a chance. @Naquaii This HUD kinda makes it look like it's fresh from the factory, have you guys thought about doing something like that when you start doing some cockpit options for the Cats?

Not really no, the HUD is not really something that would change due to age. This mod makes the HUD look a bit more unrealistic but you're absolutely free to mod that how you'd like ofc.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Tank50us said:

I like this, and may download it when I get a chance. @Naquaii This HUD kinda makes it look like it's fresh from the factory, have you guys thought about doing something like that when you start doing some cockpit options for the Cats?

The HUD being fresh from factory would look exactly the same as before . . . Only difference may be the combiner glass (windshield in this case) has less fingerprints or smudges. :laugh:

A factory fresh HUD wouldn’t make it more ‘digital’ looking.

• Like 4

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

1 hour ago, Naquaii said:

Not really no, the HUD is not really something that would change due to age. This mod makes the HUD look a bit more unrealistic but you're absolutely free to mod that how you'd like ofc.

Yeah, and with my group flying Bs in the 'near future' (2030s), it would be nice if things in certain aircraft felt like they were 'hobbled' together with parts of new, and parts of old. But that's just me. Don't ask how my group got the Tomcats.... that's a... uhm... secret 😛

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Victory205 said:

It’s like spending a 900 hundred million to purchase the Mona Lisa, then painting bigger tits on her, because you think Da Vinci’s version of her mysterious, alluring figure was “broken”.

😄

Now THATS a bloody brilliant analogy! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Victory205:

It’s like spending a 900 hundred million to purchase the Mona Lisa, then painting bigger tits on her, because you think Da Vinci’s version of her mysterious, alluring figure was “broken”.

Guess what I'll be doing as soon as I win a huge lottery jackpot?! 🙂

Also: add a mustache. Because....why not?!  😂

Edited by Jayhawk1971
  • Like 2

On 7/17/2021 at 3:27 PM, Victory205 said:

Don't forget the Botox swollen lips and the ashen blonde hair!

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

• 6 months later...