M-61A1 Sound?

mytai01

I swear DCS: F-14's gun sounds just like the gun in Microprose's Fleet Defender. It sounds like a MIDI sound effect. Please fix it, to sound like the real gun...

• Like 2

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2021 at 3:40 PM, Victory205 said:

How does the real gun sound?

Are you kidding???🤦‍♂️  It sounds like every other M61A1 Vulcan cannon in DCS World...🙄 It sounds the same as the F-15/F-16/FA-18, and every other aircraft that carries the same type gun! Did you think they put a muffler on the F-14 gun? 🤣

Edited by mytai01
  • Like 2

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

22 minutes ago, Donut said:

OP raises a good point...the HB F-14's gun is unique in the way it sounds compared to other DCS modules with the M6A1.  

As it's made by a completely different team, i don't find that to all that surprising. Artistic license and all that. I guess a lot of it is a matter of taste?

• Like 1

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

3 hours ago, mytai01 said:

Are you kidding???🤦‍♂️  It sounds like every other M61A1 Vulcan cannon in DCS World...🙄 It sounds the same as the F-15/F-16/FA-18, and every other aircraft that carries the same type gun! Did you think they put a muffler on the F-14 gun? 🤣

You must be new here

• Like 2

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

I honestly think the gun in DCS sounds awesome and could give less of a damn whether it's accurate or not - I wouldn't know. There is no footage or HQ sound from the cockpit shooting the gun last time I checked and only former crew will be able to tell you. It's also called artistic freedom in sound design. 

On 7/24/2021 at 11:15 PM, mytai01 said:

Really wish people would stop further alienating the few remaining SMEs kind enough to keep a presence&interacting on these Forums by making snarky posts  like the above..

Regards,

Snappy

Edited by Snappy
  • Like 2

Unless Victory, or someone who actually fired the gun in the F-14 in real life, tells us that it is off, we have no plans on changing it. Thank you for your kind understanding.

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

I also checked the external sound for the DCS: F-14 gun...it's the exact same sound as the internal sound. Those that are defending the inaccurate sound of the gun as artistic license forget the DCS is supposed to be about getting as realistic as possible. It's not merely about art. You forget it's supposed to be a simulator. The real aircraft has the same gun as the other Teen series fighter, and therefore they all sound the same inside and outside...

Edited by mytai01
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mytai01 said:

The real aircraft has the same gun as the other Teen series fighter, and therefore they all sound the same inside and outside...

OK, but what's your source? Just the videos? Have you even heard one live? How do you know the others are correct and not the other way around?

btw: at the end of the video, there are jumps between different Phalanx shots and every one of them sounded different - which one is The One correct?

Edited by draconus
  • Like 1

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Well, if anyone doesn't care about the accuracy of the gun sound, then they must not care about the accuracy of any of it. Why even have it at all? It might as well be Minecraft! Again, the F-14 gun would sound just like all the other guns that are M-61A1 Vulcan...inside and outside. The only thing that's going to change the sound will be the rate of fire...which is 6k rounds per minute at the normal high rate, and to the outside observers the distance and atmospherics might make some difference, but the current sound of the gun in the F-14 is totally off. That is a fact! It's not going to sound any different because of what airframe its shooting from. That would be a completely ridiculous bit of reasoning. Do I care? Hell YES I care... For those that don't, fine. I guess it doesn't even make sense for you to voice your lack of concern...

This is an, "in-cockpit" F-16 video during gun firing, but it shouldn't sound any different in any other aircraft, except the sound should be coming from the direction gun is in relation to the crew...

Edited by mytai01

Alright, I’m gonna stop ya right there.

There’s no reason the gun would sound the same in the cockpit of each fighter equipped with it. The 14 has the gun under the pilot, the 15 has it way out there past the engine nacelle, the 16 has the gun behind you with the muzzle almost next to your face. A lot of what you’ll hear of the gun from the cockpit is vibration transmitted through the structure which, you may have guessed, is different in each aircraft. Sure, it’ll sound similar in each case, but not the same.

Play a guitar in a garage. Then play that same guitar in a recording studio. Same instrument, different sound.

What are you asking for, anyway? Have HB copy and paste the files from one of ED’s modules just for the sake of them sounding the same? When has HB ever copied anything from anyone else? The alternative is going out to record the gun on a real working F-14. I don’t the equipment or visas to go to Iran and do that work, do you?

• Like 5

So just to be clear, you lead with a video that has the sound approaching the microphone from the barrel side- ergo, a wholly different position from that inside the cockpit, and with said sound coming at the recipient from a state of pure closure, rather than receding; Doppler shift being a thing with sound related to how it passes through a medium- air, versus air and through the airframe, each of which would give different harmonic properties.

You then follow up with a video that has five different relative microphone positions in the first minute- all of which show substantially different tonal qualities based on position, speed of the firing platform, and firing speed mode of the cannon. 

That is, six different installations and recording positions, six different sounds, and not a single one of them from in inside the cockpit.  But you're demanding "accuracy". 

To which I say- accuracy to which example?

Edited by lunaticfringe
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, mytai01 said:

...the current sound of the gun in the F-14 is totally off. That is a fact!

So just a hunch and feeling - not enough to make a reasonable change.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

With all these aircraft, the only thing that really matters is this: 6,000 rounds per minute at the normal high fire rate. Even if the gun is positioned in slightly different places in the different types of aircraft, it isn't going to change the sound the pilot hears in any radical way. Sure the sound may be coming from a different direction depending on type aircraft, but the frequency and rate of fire will still be the same. It may sound a little louder in one aircraft type, and in a different direction, but the sound isn't going to be radically different. The F-14 is significantly different in that module.

On 7/27/2021 at 6:37 AM, mytai01 said:

I also checked the external sound for the DCS: F-14 gun...it's the exact same sound as the internal sound. Those that are defending the inaccurate sound of the gun as artistic license forget the DCS is supposed to be about getting as realistic as possible.

Forget or chose to go along with it? You'd be surprised about the nature and number of pet peeves some people have about what constitutes realism and/or brakes their immersion. Rivet counters, texture mappers, circuit breaker switchers.......need i go on? And ever single one of them has a truly legitimate reason as to why the model isn't 100% "realistic" or "authentic". The question is, what HB as a development team is ready to dedicate their efforts to, in order to provide the most bang for buck F-14 experience, that will satisfy most quantifiable "checks" without getting lost in the details. This goes of aesthetic issues as well. Worn cockpit? "Clicky" cockpit? Afterburner plumes? Everyone and their grandmother has their own opinions on what these features should look like. And you can't please them all. So for me, a non-audiophile, the word of an SME is enough. If a person that fired the thing IRL says it's ok, i'll take their word.

....Just don't get me started on the flight model, or you'll witness the wrath of a truly fanatic FM engineer! 😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

On 7/28/2021 at 2:55 AM, mytai01 said:

Well, if anyone doesn't care about the accuracy of the gun sound, then they must not care about the accuracy of any of it. Why even have it at all? It might as well be Minecraft! Again, the F-14 gun would sound just like all the other guns that are M-61A1 Vulcan...inside and outside. The only thing that's going to change the sound will be the rate of fire...which is 6k rounds per minute at the normal high rate, and to the outside observers the distance and atmospherics might make some difference, but the current sound of the gun in the F-14 is totally off. That is a fact! It's not going to sound any different because of what airframe its shooting from. That would be a completely ridiculous bit of reasoning. Do I care? Hell YES I care... For those that don't, fine. I guess it doesn't even make sense for you to voice your lack of concern...

Wow. I love how sure he is that he's right! That's just funny.

Guess he knows more than someone who's actually flown a the F-14 AND fired the gun... 🙄

Edited by DD_Fenrir
  • Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 4:31 AM, DD_Fenrir said:

Wow. I love how sure he is that he's right! That's just funny.

Guess he knows more than someone who's actually flown a the F-14 AND fired the gun... 🙄

I also know how to put 2+2 together. You'd be amazed at how logic works. It's like discovering fire for the first time...ED won't say it, but I will. Heatblur is doing great work, but I'm busting their go nads over a small but true point...

Also, fix your track replay problems, Heatblur. You have a consistent problem that is your programing...fix it!

14 hours ago, mytai01 said:

I also know how to put 2+2 together.

You put five different sounds together as "evidence" that a sound isn't realistic, when they don't sound alike in comparison to one another. 

That's not 2+2 = 4, that's 1+1+1+1+1 = 1.

You'd be amazed at how logic works. It's like discovering fire for the first time...ED won't say it, but I will. Heatblur is doing great work, but I'm busting their go nads over a small but true point...

You're arguing against a former F-14 pilot up above using poorly recorded instances from outside the airframe that all sound different from one another. 

That's not ballbusting.

Also, fix your track replay problems, Heatblur. You have a consistent problem that is your programing...fix it!

Track replay is ED side.

• Like 4