Dedicated server on another machine on the same LAN not showing only for me

I've searched far and wide, but this specific variation of the issue does not seem to have a listed solution...

I am hosting a server, which other people can see and connect to via the in-game server browser. I can also administer the server via the account 'My servers' list and I can connect to it via internal IP no problem. I cannot, however, see it listed in the multiplayer browser, and thus I cannot set it to favourites or make DCS keep the password saved (I can for any other server).

I am absolutely certain that this was not always the case - I attributed this to my ISP, but having just changed the service, I'm getting the same thing.

Ports are all correctly forwarded (as I said everyone else can see and can connect to the box), but I have to jump through extra hoops to join my own server :S

Many thanks for any insight!

:pilotfly: BrotherBloat

• 2 weeks later...

What worked for me.  YMMV.  In Windows, if your LAN is secure, turn on Network Discovery on both your gaming rig and the server.  Once Network Discovery is on, you should be able to ping either computer by host name and see it in the server list with a very low ping.  If you can't see it, click connect via IP and enter the LAN IP address.  IME, once you connect find it in the list via IP, you can add it as a favorite.  Once added as a favorite, it will populate at the top of the server list first, with the rest of the servers following shortly.

• Thanks 1

R7 5800X3D / 32GB / VPC T-50 CM2 Base and CM3 Throttle with TM Hornet Grip / RTX 4080 Super / Meta Quest Pro

On 7/23/2021 at 8:31 PM, Chipwich said:

What worked for me.  YMMV.  In Windows, if your LAN is secure, turn on Network Discovery on both your gaming rig and the server.  Once Network Discovery is on, you should be able to ping either computer by host name and see it in the server list with a very low ping.  If you can't see it, click connect via IP and enter the LAN IP address.  IME, once you connect find it in the list via IP, you can add it as a favorite.  Once added as a favorite, it will populate at the top of the server list first, with the rest of the servers following shortly.

thank you for your advice! Network discovery was indeed off on the server machine (or rather it was set to a public network type instead of a private one), but turning it on (checked pinging by hostname worked) did not bring the server into the browser.

I can connect to it over LAN IP (and always could), but no joy on being able to add it to favourites. I wonder if there is a way to edit the favourites list manually somewhere in the config...

NB: what does work, is I can now use the machine name to 'connect by ip', just adding the port number afterwards:

image.png

so that is an improvement 🙂

Some troubleshooting steps I might take are:

1) try using the default port, 10308 to make sure 10311 is not conflicting with something else.  Unlikely, but worth a shot.

2) Review the port forwarding on your firewall.  You should be forwarding from your server's LAN IP, both TCP and UDP on port 10308.  Share a screenshot of your port forward setup if you like.

3) Is the check box for Public server checked?

4) Are you double NATed?  Like your firewall has a private IP instead of public.  What's the WAN side IP of your firewall?  It can be dynamic, just not private.  If you go to wtfismyip.com, does the result match the WAN IP of your firewall?

R7 5800X3D / 32GB / VPC T-50 CM2 Base and CM3 Throttle with TM Hornet Grip / RTX 4080 Super / Meta Quest Pro

40 minutes ago, Chipwich said:

Some troubleshooting steps I might take are:

1) try using the default port, 10308 to make sure 10311 is not conflicting with something else.  Unlikely, but worth a shot.

2) Review the port forwarding on your firewall.  You should be forwarding from your server's LAN IP, both TCP and UDP on port 10308.  Share a screenshot of your port forward setup if you like.

3) Is the check box for Public server checked?

4) Are you double NATed?  Like your firewall has a private IP instead of public.  What's the WAN side IP of your firewall?  It can be dynamic, just not private.  If you go to wtfismyip.com, does the result match the WAN IP of your firewall?

Thanks again!

Checking...

1: I have tried 10308 and I'm positive that 10311 isn't conflicting - since it's a brand new environment and others can easily browse and join my server without punching in the IP. It also appears in the ED browser https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/personal/server/#allservers 

2: Port forwarding looks OK to me:

UPnP values:

image.png

manual forwards:

image.png

3 - yes, it's public 👌

4 was the most intriguing, but I don't believe I'm doubleNAT'ed. The router connects directly to my fibre wallbox and its IPv4 is showing the same as shown in wtfismyip when opened from both my gaming rig and the server.

and now, for a curve ball candidate number 5...

the server runs on a bootcamped Mac Mini box - I wonder if something in the network driver layer is causing the issue - it only just occurred to me that when I've seen it appearing perfectly fine before, with the same router settings, was when the server was running on a native windows machine...

• 5 months later...

From my experience, if your server hosting the game and your gamins PC are on the same LAN, they share the same public IP, and for some reason the Gaming PC cannot see the server in the MP interface. It's not a big problem since you can always connect to the server using its local IP address.

If you really want to see (or check) the server in the MP list, you can always use a VPN on the gaming PC to use a fake public IP. This should work but at the price of performance because tunneling means encrypted traffic. And honestly there is no point going out of your LAN through a VPN in order to get back to your LAN and finally to your server.

• Like 1