Lack of effective AA option in VR

St4rgun

• 2 months later...

New VR  user Quest2 .

I've spent three days and nights reading and test study in VR  with DCS . It's an old game engine and is in need of big update from ground up . 

Please no more modules concentrate on fix game engine and AI . 

VR in other sims very good . 

I noticed my cockpit looks crystal clear, can read all gages but I look out side and it's jaggy and messy .

Objects are distorted. 

But 2D  @ 3200x1800 looks clear . 

Don't understand why VR in DCS looks so bad . 

My guess is old engine with VR  thrown in . 

Edited by KoN
  • Like 1

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

More testing quest2 @ 1.2 and OTT 1.2 . ASW @ 30HZ . 

Half decent results . In single player. 

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update after 2.8 OB came out for anyone new to this AA technique in VR.

As @Mustang pointed out in another thread for nVidia users there's a very good opportunity to get rid most of the jaggies and shimmering if the hardware is strong enough by using MSAA 2x combined with SGSSAA (Sparse Grid SSAA) for transparent textures.

Check out my system specs in my signature.

The results are:

• the clouds became pretty nice at the edges (semi transparent parts are finely antialiased), athough the low LOD are still present for distance clouds at least on "Standard" clouds mode
  • the transparent textures (power lines, fences, trees edges, painted lines on the tarmac) are very smooth
  • the cockpit interior is extremely detailed, crisp and smooth (in particular to the HUD and MFDs symbology)
  • in F2 view my plane is looking as good as never before, no jaggies, no shimmering, just pure joy
  • no detectable fps drop compared to simple MSAA 2x

Important remark: be sure to make a profile with nVidia Profile Inspector for DCS only, so DO NOT CHANGE THE GLOBAL PROFILE, because doing it can mess up with other software display modes. For me changing the global profile wrecked up all Microsoft Office / Microsoft Store applications (immediate black screen after starting any of them), but disabling SGSSAA in the global profile again restored their normal behaviour.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • PC: 10700K | Gigabyte Z490 | Palit 3090 GamingPro | 32GB | Win10
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

overall i think for me performance isnt bad but shimmering is terrible to what it was, before i had next to none and now its everywhere and thats with all the same settings as before frame rates are good with very little stuttering but the anti alias thing is crappy. 

Ryzen 7 7800x3D with AIO, RTX4080 Eagle OC, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz HP Reverb G2 & Pico4 Windows 11 Pro

On 11/2/2022 at 8:34 AM, St4rgun said:

Just a quick update after 2.8 OB came out for anyone new to this AA technique in VR.

As @Mustang pointed out in another thread for nVidia users there's a very good opportunity to get rid most of the jaggies and shimmering if the hardware is strong enough by using MSAA 2x combined with SGSSAA (Sparse Grid SSAA) for transparent textures.

Check out my system specs in my signature.

The results are:

• the clouds became pretty nice at the edges (semi transparent parts are finely antialiased), athough the low LOD are still present for distance clouds at least on "Standard" clouds mode
  • the transparent textures (power lines, fences, trees edges, painted lines on the tarmac) are very smooth
  • the cockpit interior is extremely detailed, crisp and smooth (in particular to the HUD and MFDs symbology)
  • in F2 view my plane is looking as good as never before, no jaggies, no shimmering, just pure joy
  • no detectable fps drop compared to simple MSAA 2x

Important remark: be sure to make a profile with nVidia Profile Inspector for DCS only, so DO NOT CHANGE THE GLOBAL PROFILE, because doing it can mess up with other software display modes. For me changing the global profile wrecked up all Microsoft Office / Microsoft Store applications (immediate black screen after starting any of them), but disabling SGSSAA in the global profile again restored their normal behaviour.

Yup, i´m testing SGSSAA and noticed improvement in clarity first time i loaded the sim. I need further testing just to be sure it´s not placedo effect or something related but i don´t think so. Tested in Nevada and PF and performance and image was the best i had in a long time (although i have Terrain Shadows OFF for now due to issues with the new shadows, i usually use Flat Shadows but they are bugged), tested also in Caucasus but the performance was not so good, i need to investigate the culprit.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

10 hours ago, fagulha said:

Yup, i´m testing SGSSAA and noticed improvement in clarity first time i loaded the sim. I need further testing just to be sure it´s not placedo effect or something related but i don´t think so. Tested in Nevada and PF and performance and image was the best i had in a long time (although i have Terrain Shadows OFF for now due to issues with the new shadows, i usually use Flat Shadows but they are bugged), tested also in Caucasus but the performance was not so good, i need to investigate the culprit.

One more small extension: The SGSSAA can make the environment a bit softer. To encounter this, the following additional settings can be appied in nVidia Profile Inspector:

[4 - Texture Filtering]
Anisotropic filtering mode               User-defined / Off
Anisotropic filtering setting            16x
Texture filtering - Anisotropic filter optimization On
Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimization On
Texture filtering - Driver Controlled LOD Bias Off
Texture filtering - LOD Bias (DX)        -0.5000
Texture filtering - LOD Bias (OGL)       -0.5000

Texture filtering - Quality              High quality
Texture filtering - Trilinear optimization Off

Theoretically the negative LOD settings can force to use more detailed LODs for objects as the default, hence the softness is eliminated and also the cockpit interior would be even more crisp. Unfortunatelly this can make the shimmering a bit more in the environment, but not so much.

Personally I switched OFF the SGSAA because the small performance penalty, maybe I'll switch them back on if ED manage to iron out 2.8 or after implementing MT / Vulkan. But I really hope that in Vulkan they have the possibility to rethink the whole AA process to be as efficient as possible.

• Like 2
  • PC: 10700K | Gigabyte Z490 | Palit 3090 GamingPro | 32GB | Win10
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

Yes something wrong with lighting and shading . Was like this when 2.5 hit DCS. 

Petro is struggling to lock targets again due to shaders and light condition. 

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .