I saw the newly launched Mosquito external model redo these days, and it didn’t feel particularly good.

huchanronaa

• ED Team
On 7/14/2021 at 4:56 PM, huchanronaa said:

I saw the newly launched Mosquito external model redo these days, and it didn’t feel particularly good. I don’t know why ed have to redo it?
In my opinion, Mosquito is an aircraft developed and launched in the United Kingdom to respond to urgent needs during World War II. Therefore, many materials are still made of wood.Wood has a short durability, Mosquito is regarded as a consumable for short-term use in wartime, so it is required to be as good-looking as the American p-47 p-51. Seems impractical

Its not about making it look better than the real thing, its about making it look as good as the real thing, and having the most accurate model available in any game/sim. 

That said, the new model has been approved by Nick, I would expect you guys will get a look at it soon, things are moving forward quite fast now.

Thanks for your support and patience!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

12 minutes ago, NineLine said:

Its not about making it look better than the real thing, its about making it look as good as the real thing, and having the most accurate model available in any game/sim. 

That said, the new model has been approved by Nick, I would expect you guys will get a look at it soon, things are moving forward quite fast now.

Great news, thanks for the update. Looking forward to seeing the old girl in her new dress!

Hopefully not too long until we get to finally fly her now..

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

2 hours ago, NineLine said:

Congratulations to the catastrophic delay in the development of the dcs Mosquito fighter is coming to an end

Edited by huchanronaa

7 hours ago, huchanronaa said:

Congratulations to the catastrophic delay in the development of the dcs Mosquito fighter is coming to an end

Releasing a sub-par Mosquito module would have been much more catastrophic, especially for us Mosquito fans. A high fidelity mosquito sim is extraordinarily rare. We don’t get any alternatives, so the one we get is better done right, and 6 months of delays is nothing within the total time of decades I’ve been waiting for something like this.

ED probably should check themselves how/why they got to announce the near EA of the mosquito and only then realizing that it needs a redo, but this is their internal issue and has nothing to do with us customers - we did not pay advancement for the development.

We have yet to see the result, but I give ED some credit for taking such a decision to redo the external model - it must have cost them a lot of money, and both ED and us can only hope that this was worthwhile. Getting the best module possible is a common interest and time is not a big factor in this.

• Like 2

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

8 hours ago, huchanronaa said:

Catastrophic delay.....really ??......so we've all had to wait a little longer,a few extra months at best,this hardly constitutes as catastrophic......bit melodramatic is'nt it ?

• Like 2

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

It may be an exaggeration to say that it is catastrophic delay, but the dcs mosquito was originally expected to be released in early March. It may be because the boss is not satisfied to announce that the external model will be redone. Can't it be said that it is catastrophic delay? The latest redo  external model can be seen in this section Video  : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41twZUqMnuc&t=473s&ab_channel=Pricklyhedgehog72

I have to say that dcs is very serious about making models

A total of dcs’ man-hours spent on mosquito may be able to make 1.5 WWII single-engine fighters model

Edited by huchanronaa

No new external model images in that vid…

why would there be? The YT user states DCS / Nick being very tight-lipped and being very careful not to let any info slip out 

Edited by rkk01

1 hour ago, huchanronaa said:

Can't it be said that it is catastrophic delay? 

I'm not saying you can't do or say anything......what I'm saying is that using such dramatic words as catastrophic for an extra little wait seems just a tad extreme to say the least.

A flood,an earthquake,a massacre,a sunami are what are normally associated with the word catastrophic......not a few months wait for a PC flight sim to be released.

Ed has been more than straight with us,yes there's been a hiccup,nothing serious,it's coming very soon I'm sure,I for one can't wait,so just hang in there buddy or you'll give yourself a 'catastrophic' heart attack,lol.

• Like 2

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

It depends, for one catastrophic may be earthquake but for other who didn't experience it,  "waiting couple extra months" may be catastrophic.

For one catastrophic may be a civil war in his country for other catastrophic may be getting wrong present for birthday.

If he claims that waiting couple months is catastrophic for him, than i must say he has happy life 🙂

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Catastrophic delay refers to the impact on game development companies. For players, it is just waiting slowly. This is not only the case with ED, but also common in other companies, and some will seriously affect the company's stock price and finances

Edited by huchanronaa

1 hour ago, grafspee said:

It depends, for one catastrophic may be earthquake but for other who didn't experience it,  "waiting couple extra months" may be catastrophic.

For one catastrophic may be a civil war in his country for other catastrophic may be getting wrong present for birthday.

If he claims that waiting couple months is catastrophic for him, than i must say he has happy life 🙂

I stand corrected then,maybe it's only me that finds this wording melodramatic......I was a fireman for over 25 years,so I guess my world that I come from is in some way clouding my judgement on this.As a fireman you got to witness and deal with real life catastrophes almost everyday of your career,and had I of taken the view that waiting a little extra time for a PC game to arrive be a problem I would've been finished in that career for sure !

Please excuse my view that the waiting of a few months is a catastrophic for him and that I view those the sentiments to be those of snowflakes.

If this is the real world now.....then beam me up Scotty.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, huchanronaa said:

Catastrophic delay refers to the impact on game development companies. For players, it is just waiting slowly. This is not only the case with ED, but also common in other companies, and some will seriously affect the company's stock price and finances

If it is common across companies, then they had good reason to delay launch. No one will delay launch in case when everything is ready 😛

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

About "Catastrophic delay".... remember ED 2021 roadmap

The beginning of the year seems to be posing many of the same challenges, but the team is well organised and we believe that we have a solid roadmap for 2021 that will see the addition of new modules and improvements to the core-DCS program. Please do take a look at our plan below but kindly understand that the dates are our best estimates as of writing this letter and may move around a bit as time goes by

The roadmap has moved from january release, has some normal on develop, examples, the Mossie delayed and AH-64 preorder, the reapears of BS3 and surely other changes can comming. That always has maked on previous years. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Basco1 said:

I stand corrected then,maybe it's only me that finds this wording melodramatic......I was a fireman for over 25 years,so I guess my world that I come from is in some way clouding my judgement on this.As a fireman you got to witness and deal with real life catastrophes almost everyday of your career,and had I of taken the view that waiting a little extra time for a PC game to arrive be a problem I would've been finished in that career for sure !

Please excuse my view that the waiting of a few months is a catastrophic for him and that I view those the sentiments to be those of snowflakes.

If this is the real world now.....then beam me up Scotty.

It always has been the real world. Society has just been slow to stop being judgemental about others' life experiences not matching their own, or not matching whatever arbritrary expectations have been placed on people. Sure, this over a video game is melodramatic, but I have to deal with similar unreasonable judgment caused by the exact same thinking process in a medical context all the time, and it's infuriating. "Oh your tummy hurts every day? Look at Timmy over there, he's dying of cancer so therefore your personal suffering doen't matter and you should just suck it up." It's called psychological invalidation. 

*steps off soapbox* 

(Just to add, "catastrophic" also means "involving a sudden and large-scale alteration in state." It's not limited to "damage" or "suffering.")

Edited by Nealius

7 minutes ago, cordite said:

Read through the entire thread, and i’m still not certain… Is wood supposed to be easier to make a 3d computer model of than metal?

Oddly enough, in the case of the Mosquito, it might be. The construction method results in an outer skin largely lacking the small-scale details - panel lines, rivets etc - that add extra complexity to otherwise simple shapes. Having said that, it's a fairly ambitious project compared to other DCS WW2 aircraft, and I doubt this makes any significant difference.

5 hours ago, NineLine said:

Actually in this case its probably harder good quality original drawings are scarcer than some, but I dont think the material makes that much difference in the 3D modeling. 

A huge stash of original de Havilland blue prints has been recovered about 4 years ago. This includes all the technical drawings for every mosquito variant, plus some other de Havilland types. I don’t know if ED had any access to this material, but it is out there.

www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-40873628.amp

https://www.airspacemag.com/military-aviation/secret-mosquito-180967119/

Edited by Bozon
  • Like 2

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

1 hour ago, launchedsquid said:

why is everyone so fixated on release dates or delays?  In what way has the mossie delay hurt you?

It isn't a matter of hurt or a catastrophe but at 83 years old i would like the Mossie before i tip over  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

"And of course aluminium was in short supply."

Actually, I don't believe that it was. In 1944 alone, the U.S. built over 100,000 airplanes. The vast majority were metal. I think that De Havilland was preparing for the possibility that with the U-Boats controlling the Atlantic, one day there would be a shortage. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, launchedsquid said:

why is everyone so fixated on release dates or delays?  In what way has the mossie delay hurt you?

I don't care about the release date of the Mossie.
I prefer that ED first fixes the many bugs of the already existing WWII modules.

You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!

16 minutes ago, Ercoupe said:

"And of course aluminium was in short supply."

Actually, I don't believe that it was. In 1944 alone, the U.S. built over 100,000 airplanes. The vast majority were metal. I think that De Havilland was preparing for the possibility that with the U-Boats controlling the Atlantic, one day there would be a shortage. 

Yes, but the Mosquito was conceived in 1939 and first flew in 1940… entered service in 41, all before the US entered the war. 

Availability of aluminium in the US in 1944 wasn’t part of the design brief 😉

The turning point in the Battle of the Atlantic was May 43, so availability of strategic materials was absolutely an important issue

Not sure where your home country is, but in most towns in the UK you can still see the stumps where ornate steel railings were cut off for war materials, and I believe, there were even community collections of pots and pans etc for war materials 

• Like 1