UHF Radio Presets

Hey All.

Well...     I am stuck and I need advice.  I am trying to figure out how to set the UHF (AN/ARC-164) presets.  I am sorry but I can not find a tutorial.

Any referral to a tutorial?

The Manual (page 430)

LOAD PRESET Cover
Lifting this cover reveals an orange button labeled LOAD To load a frequency to a preset channel,
you simply
1. Dial in the frequency manually
2. Select the preset channel you wish to assign the frequency to
3. Press the LOAD button.

The Problem

Simply, it don't work. 

I am missing something no doubt.

Questions:

• What position should the UHF Radio Frequency Mode Selector Switch be in to load a frequency?
  • What position should the UHF Radio Frequency Mode Selector Switch be in to use a preset frequency?
  • After loading a frequency should the UHF Radio Preset Channel Selector Switch actually do anything?
  • What position should the UHF Radio Function Selector Switch be in?
  • Is the UHF Radio Manual Frequency Dials (Indicator) supposed to change?

I do notice that with the UHF Radio Preset Channel Selector Switch in the Preset position, the UHF indicator on the front dash changes.  Instead of the displaying the UHF frequency it displays the preset channel.   But, the UHF Radio Manual Frequency Dials never change to indicate the preset frequency.

Is this the only indication that I get?

Caldera

Edited by Caldera

• What position should the UHF Radio Frequency Mode Selector Switch be in to load a frequency? - PRESET (The instructions get this backwards. I don't know what is right, but this is how it works. It makes sense that to do Preset things, you should be in PRESET mode.)
  • What position should the UHF Radio Frequency Mode Selector Switch be in to use a preset frequency? - PRESET
  • After loading a frequency should the UHF Radio Preset Channel Selector Switch actually do anything? - Select the Preset Channel you wish to use/modify next.
  • What position should the UHF Radio Function Selector Switch be in? - MAIN or BOTH to monitor Guard
  • Is the UHF Radio Manual Frequency Dials (Indicator) supposed to change? - You have to use the STATUS button under the Preset Selector Switch and the programmed channel freq will show for a few seconds. If you cycle the Preset Selector switch after pushing STATUS you can see all the frequencies per channel in that allotted time. 

Edited by zinhawk
Accuracy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ryzen 5 3600 (4.1Ghz), 32 GB DDR4, Sapphire R9 390X Nitro, Fatal1ty B450 K4

TrackIR, Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

5 hours ago, zinhawk said:

MAIN, unless you want to home in on a frequency, BOTH 

BOTH is not for homing, BOTH is for listening to the guard receiver while at the same time transmitting/receiving on the main frequency. ADF is for homing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Everybody said: "That's impossible!" Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Flying the A-10C for the 107th Joint Aviation Squadron

Developing and creating missions for Through The Inferno

Join the TTI Discord

My mistake. The switch implies BOTH functions of the switch where I thought GRD was guard mode for that purpose. What a dumb layout. Thanks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ryzen 5 3600 (4.1Ghz), 32 GB DDR4, Sapphire R9 390X Nitro, Fatal1ty B450 K4

TrackIR, Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

GRD mode on the MPG switch is for transmit & receive on guard, BOTH on the function selector switch is to *listen* to guard.

• Like 1

Everybody said: "That's impossible!" Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Flying the A-10C for the 107th Joint Aviation Squadron

Developing and creating missions for Through The Inferno

Join the TTI Discord

I'd also add that while you're figuring out presets and other functions, it's a good idea to be in a multiplayer server and have SRS running with an overlay.  That way you can get immediate feedback as to what you're doing, such as what frequency you're on, whether you're listening to guard, etc.

Edited by jaylw314
  • Like 2

Thanks Guys I got it!

This

- You have to use the STATUS button under the Preset Selector Switch and the programmed channel freq will show for a few seconds. If you cycle the Preset Selector switch after pushing STATUS you can see all the frequencies per channel in that allotted time. 

And This

I'd also add that while you're figuring out presets and other functions, it's a good idea to be in a multiplayer server and have SRS running with an overlay.  That way you can get immediate feedback as to what you're doing, such as what frequency you're on, whether you're listening to guard, etc.

Caldera