Actual startup procedure for DCS VR with WMR. :)

Gun Jam

0) Its time for some DCS with VR!! Heck yeah im using the hp reverb G2 lets get started

1) put on headset... Get no response from headset.

2) crawl under computer desk and un plug the G2's video cable from video card and reinsert

3) put on headset again and auto launch WMR Cliff house. All good

4) Start DCS amd load into main screen

5) no mouse control

6) shutdown DCS

7) Shutdown Steam Vr and WMR portal

8. Put on headset launch cliff house

9) start DCS again

10) enter main screen with mouse control

11) Launch SRS for online voice and radio system

12) lose mouse control again

13) remember that SRS must be started before DCS

14) Shut down dcs

15) shutdown steam VR and WMR portal

16) Start SRS

17) Put on headset and start WMR portal for 3rd time

18) launch DCS

19) All checks out

20) Start sim shaker (luckily we remember to do this last if it were started at step 4 then sim shaker would require an exit and restart at this point)

21) all system go!

LOL I know you've been there too.

Edited by Gun Jam
  • Like 2

In WMR, make sure you have Manual input switching set as opposed to automatic.  Losing mouse control usually comes from that. Think also the full screen and confine mouse options in dcs also play a role.  All I know is I do not experience losing mouse control or the 'Windows out of focus' anymore.  

SRS does not need to be launched before DCS.  DCS launches it automatically.

• Like 1

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

Switching from auto to manual input seems to have solved the issue with having to launch dcs twice.

SRS does start automatically but in the past when letting SRS start automatically the T/R or mic switch wouldn't function. I found that starting SRS first solved this problem.  However I let SRS start automatically this time after switching to manual in WMR and it was fine not sure if its related but looks good to go now.

Thanks you've reduced my startup times by half!

-Gun

Another thing you can do is unplug the power box on your G2 after you're done using it.  When you want to go back into VR, plug that box back in and WMR will automatically start and link up with your G2.  Then, all you have to do is double-click on the DCS exe like you would if you're going to play in 2D.  Pull the G2 down over your face and wait for the exploding orb of triangles.  SteamVR automatically loads and in a few seconds, you'll be in the DCS hangar in VR.

Heh...can't comment on getting all of the other cool stuff you have going though.  Unplugging that power box seems to be a pretty reliable way of keeping the HMD from going stupid after sitting idle.  

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Interesting I forgot it even had a power box. I may relocate the power box to a more accessible location. This maybe an option to having to pull the usb C plug from the 2080ti. This occurs when the computer is put into suspend state and "woken up" upon normal operation the VR headset is often unresponsive until the usb C plug is cycled. The power box if moved to a smart location would likley solve the issue as well and be less abusive to the USB port. 

Thanks

-Gun

7 hours ago, DucS2r said:

I turn the G2 on and off with a smart plug using my phone. Same with external fans for my computer. 

Also use a smart plug for the G2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

_____________Semper paratus, In hoc signo vinces________________

PC: Intel i7-8700K (4.9 GHz), Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 MB, Gigabyte RTX 3080, 32 GB DDR3 (3,2 GHz), Samsung EVO 860 M.2 500 GB SSD + Samsung 960 M.2 250 GB SSD Gaming: Virpil T-50 CM2, TM WH Throttle, Crosswind pedals, HP Reverb

9 hours ago, Gun Jam said:

Interesting I forgot it even had a power box. I may relocate the power box to a more accessible location. This maybe an option to having to pull the usb C plug from the 2080ti. This occurs when the computer is put into suspend state and "woken up" upon normal operation the VR headset is often unresponsive until the usb C plug is cycled. The power box if moved to a smart location would likley solve the issue as well and be less abusive to the USB port. 

Thanks

-Gun

No problem.  I was really glad that HP had to put a power box on this one.  On my G1, I always left the cable plugged into my video card and plugged it in at the headset when I wanted to use it because I was really hesitant to keep unplugging/plugging in the HDMI cable on my $1700.00 video card.  With the power box we don't have to do that anymore.

• Like 1

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

13 hours ago, eaglecash867 said:

No problem.  I was really glad that HP had to put a power box on this one.  On my G1, I always left the cable plugged into my video card and plugged it in at the headset when I wanted to use it because I was really hesitant to keep unplugging/plugging in the HDMI cable on my $1700.00 video card.  With the power box we don't have to do that anymore.

I own a G1. I used to have the problem where I had to unplug-plug it back in again to get it recognised, but then I changed a setting in Windows somewhere and it's no longer an issue. 

For the life of me I'm trying to find out where I typed that information. I think it was a setting in device manager but I honestly can't recall now.

Can you give more information on this 'power box'? A link, etc - coz it sounds interesting.

MS and HP even advise to unplug the power from the G2 if you don’t use it.

Just pull the plug out of the square box attached to the cable of the G2 when you’re dont with playing for the day. 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-E, 32GB Crucial Ballistix 2400Mhz, Intel i7 9700K 5.0Ghz, Asus GTX1080 8GB, SoundBlaster AE-5, G15, Streamdeck, DSD Flight, TM Warthog, VirPil BRD, MFG Crosswind CAM5, TrackIR 5, KW-908 Jetseat, Win 10 64-bit

”Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.

However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore.”

8 hours ago, Dangerzone said:

Can you give more information on this 'power box'? A link, etc - coz it sounds interesting.

Its just something HP had to add to the G2 to overcome some of the display issues that G1s were having.  Instead of using USB power to supply voltage to the display like on the G1, now its the power box that provides display power.  Its integrated into the G2s cable, and has an AC to DC converter that you plug into a standard wall outlet.  You can just unplug the converter's cord from the power box to remove power from the headset when not using it.  I think the main issue they were trying to correct with the power box on the G2 was the G1s tendency to have one or both eyes intermittently get darker.  Although I did get used to it on the G1, its been really nice no longer having to deal with that issue on the G2.  Also gives you an easy way to shut the headset down when you're done using it.

• Thanks 1