barrel on fire for lighting during night landings

hi

it is regrettable not to be able to have fire or barrels which could be set alight to provide night lighting for the landing of wardbirds on the normandy and channel maps. If we could have a trigger that allows the ignition of the fire in the barrels at a given time or a given moment that would be more certain! thank you in advance

• Like 4

This seems easy to make. Within DCS, we already have an "effect" category, which includes  small-fire-with-smoke,  medium-fire-with-smoke,  large-fire-with-smoke  and  huge-fire-with-smoke.

They seem to be the same effect... merely scaled.

Would it be possible to add another one? ...   tiny-fire-with-smoke?

In the mission editor you could even co-locate it with a drum or other cargo object if you really wanted a drum fire effect.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Runway lights please - certainly for the surfaced runways…

Finding “home” in the dark is tricky - lining up on the runway and getting down in one piece is even harder

Of course, lights should only be on for the shortest period, so probably needs to be integrated with the comms menu

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/15/2021 at 10:42 AM, petitnouveau said:

hi

it is regrettable not to be able to have fire or barrels which could be set alight to provide night lighting for the landing of wardbirds on the normandy and channel maps. If we could have a trigger that allows the ignition of the fire in the barrels at a given time or a given moment that would be more certain! thank you in advance

Once the ‘lighting engine’ is made in 2037, all your wildest dreams will come true.

I think with ED's proven focus on realism, suggestions and wish list items that are based on actual history will get attention. I'm not sure lights were a thing on most grass airfields on Normandy/Channel maps, but if anyone has references it would be interesting to read about them here. The barrel on fire should be easy to do.

45 minutes ago, Callsign112 said:

I think with ED's proven focus on realism, suggestions and wish list items that are based on actual history will get attention. I'm not sure lights were a thing on most grass airfields on Normandy/Channel maps, but if anyone has references it would be interesting to read about them here. The barrel on fire should be easy to do.

Look up saint- Valery - Vittefleur then look up what our ‘night lighting’ looks like, we are 3 years away from a lighting engine.

A barrel on fire we can do, lighting up an area with said ‘fire-barrel’ we can not.

Maybe one day.

7 minutes ago, StevanJ said:

Look up saint- Valery - Vittefleur then look up what our ‘night lighting’ looks like, we are 3 years away from a lighting engine.

A barrel on fire we can do, lighting up an area with said ‘fire-barrel’ we can not.

Maybe one day.

It is very much possible to place down a light source and light up an area with it.

So if you manage to get a good fire animation, I don't see an issue with it being able to light up an area aswell.

Screen_210830_001305.png

56 minutes ago, Callsign112 said:

Maybe this here is for you: http://www.rafdrem.co.uk/lighting.html

Drem Light system. Hard to find things about it though.

Edited by razo+r
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, razo+r said:

It is very much possible to place down a light source and light up an area with it.

So if you manage to get a good fire animation, I don't see an issue with it being able to light up an area aswell.

Screen_210830_001305.png

Maybe this here is for you: http://www.rafdrem.co.uk/lighting.html

Drem Light system. Hard to find things about it though.

Is this a mod?

Because there is no shadow.

Edited by StevanJ

@razo+r, thanks for the link. I have seen other web pages with references to runway lighting used during WWII as in the use of light bulbs, but from the images I saw it looked like they were mostly used on airfields with hard surface runways. It would be interesting to know how long it took the Air Ministry to implement the Drem system. And what about the grass fields on the Normandy map?

I think along with things like wands used by deck crews on a carrier, night lighting for WWII airfields should be added according to their historical use.

40 minutes ago, StevanJ said:

Maybe one day.

I am not sure what you mean by a lighting engine, but night time lighting is used all throughout DCS World. Have a look 1:59 in the timeline of the Damascus night attack video for an example of how a large fire can light up an area.

10 hours ago, Callsign112 said:

I am not sure what you mean by a lighting engine, but night time lighting is used all throughout DCS World. Have a look 1:59 in the timeline of the Damascus night attack video for an example of how a large fire can light up an area.

Again, there are no shadows.

This is already a long drawn out conversation in a different thread, start a fire in the middle of the runway and see what happens.

The lighting engine is coming but it’s a long way off.

14 hours ago, razo+r said:

Yes.

There is at least one vehicle in DCS itself already, that emits light aswell (APC Tigr)

And both my mod and the Tigr exist already for a few years.

Screen_210830_002212.png

So all we need is a 2006 APC tigr, to simulate WW2 night lighting..
Brilliant..

• Like 1

9 hours ago, StevanJ said:

Again, there are no shadows.

This is already a long drawn out conversation in a different thread, start a fire in the middle of the runway and see what happens.

The lighting engine is coming but it’s a long way off.

Well the request was to be able to light an area, not cast a shadow. As far as a pilot would be concerned when approaching from above, there shouldn't really be anything on the runway he/she is trying to land on that would cast shadows. But if we have to wait for shadows, then so be it.

23 minutes ago, Callsign112 said:

Well the request was to be able to light an area, not cast a shadow. As far as a pilot would be concerned when approaching from above, there shouldn't really be anything on the runway he/she is trying to land on that would cast shadows. But if we have to wait for shadows, then so be it.

All runway lighting is textures that’s why they look the same day or night.

And while, yes- we do have some lighting effects, it’s pointless because we still can’t see anything with them without the shadows.

The human eye is drawn to contrast and movement.

Look at how camouflaged razors plane is in his first image.

Then Turn off shadows and then go on a night mission.

Youll see what im saying straightaway.

Barrels on fire will illuminate nothing as the fire effect is a texture too.

I made a ww2 night campaign for my squad and it was a failure because without flir you couldn’t see ground units clear enough parked at enemy bases because the lack of shadows.

Turn the time to dusk and the shadows increase ground visibility tenfold.

Edited by StevanJ
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

The setup I use is to add the tiger Russian armoured SUVs which have their lights on at night around the edge of the landing area. Place them close to where you want the lights and have them slowly dive to that position and stop. This ensures that their lights will be on and in the right place and orientation.

Next I use small smoke and fire effect to mark the airfield position. This can be activated by a trigger so for example you can setup an F10 radio option to request the airfield crew to light the fire. Edit: I should also note it is helpful to consider the wind direction when placing the fire to avoid smoke drifting into the approach line, I place these at the downwind edge of the airfield.

You can also use this to spawn the Tigers if you don't want them illuminating from mission start.

In the past I have used some other options: Signal flares and illumination flares can mark the airfield or even aid in landing. I've also used searchlights just pointed into the sky to mark the airfield. 

Edited by Rolds

28 minutes ago, Rolds said:

The setup I use is to add the tiger Russian armoured SUVs which have their lights on at night around the edge of the landing area. Place them close to where you want the lights and have them slowly dive to that position and stop. This ensures that their lights will be on and in the right place and orientation.

Next I use small smoke and fire effect to mark the airfield position. This can be activated by a trigger so for example you can setup an F10 radio option to request the airfield crew to light the fire. Edit: I should also note it is helpful to consider the wind direction when placing the fire to avoid smoke drifting into the approach line, I place these at the downwind edge of the airfield.

You can also use this to spawn the Tigers if you don't want them illuminating from mission start.

In the past I have used some other options: Signal flares and illumination flares can mark the airfield or even aid in landing. I've also used searchlights just pointed into the sky to mark the airfield. 

Thanks, but thats exactly what @razo+r said..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rolds said:

Well then you know its brilliant!

I mean, it's not really..

It's a modern vehicle in a ww2 setting.

It would be brilliant if they just added the same lighting effect to a vehicle (or vehicles) from the asset pack.

But then, what do I know?

• Like 2

I have previously requested Bartow lights. This is a more suitable fixture in my opinion. It also does not create smoke, which would be a silly idea on an airfield.

https://intrepid-design.co.uk/ww2-runway-light/

On 7/15/2021 at 5:51 PM, xvii-Dietrich said:

This seems easy to make. Within DCS, we already have an "effect" category, which includes  small-fire-with-smoke,  medium-fire-with-smoke,  large-fire-with-smoke  and  huge-fir-with-smoke.They seem to be the same effect... merely scaled.

Wolud it be possible to add another one? ...   tiny-fire-with-smoke?In the mission editor you could even co-locate it with a drum or other cargo object if you really wanted a drum fire effect.

Or this:

• Like 1

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Old topic i know but me and my mate wanna do some nightflying in our antons.

Ive tried the tigr apc solution and its ok-ish. I wonder how they did it back in the days when things were all black/white.

Eventually would it be possible to have a german searchlight illuminate a "target" or fixed point? The tigrs dont illuminate much...