Will the M1X drag players to Mac ?

Don't beat me now, LoL

looking at the assumed numbers for the coming successor of the M1 chip, M1X, it looks like we are looking at a paradigm shift happening silently.

When that new MBP with a 40coreCPU/32core GPU will play at 4k+, incl. RT, at a MUCH lower TDP and also MUCH MUCH lower price I could see

that happening.

Actually, I was planning for an AMD Ryzen and maybe a MacBook Air M1, hey, it looks like I will stick to my rig and wait what the new MBPro

offers. 

When it comes to quality, I can only say my Mid2012 MBPretina still runs great, never had an issue in almost a decade, never ever it let me down

or wouldnt wake from sleep, etc etc etc... I could list a ton of stuff that my Windows machines sometimes do and what the Mac never did.

That alone makes me want Apple and pick Windows only if there is no other way. In that time I own the MBP I went through more than a hanfdull

of gaming rigs, 2700k, 6700k, 7700k, 8700k, 980GTX, 1080ti, etc.  ..and each one of those gave me more grey hair 😞

I am really looking forward for this. It can't harm to stirr the gaming hardware market up a bit.

It will take time to adopt to ARM but I think the age of x86 is coming to an end in the next 5 years.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

3 hours ago, BitMaster said:

Don't beat me now, LoL

looking at the assumed numbers for the coming successor of the M1 chip, M1X, it looks like we are looking at a paradigm shift happening silently.

When that new MBP with a 40coreCPU/32core GPU will play at 4k+, incl. RT, at a MUCH lower TDP and also MUCH MUCH lower price I could see

that happening.

Actually, I was planning for an AMD Ryzen and maybe a MacBook Air M1, hey, it looks like I will stick to my rig and wait what the new MBPro

offers. 

When it comes to quality, I can only say my Mid2012 MBPretina still runs great, never had an issue in almost a decade, never ever it let me down

or wouldnt wake from sleep, etc etc etc... I could list a ton of stuff that my Windows machines sometimes do and what the Mac never did.

That alone makes me want Apple and pick Windows only if there is no other way. In that time I own the MBP I went through more than a hanfdull

of gaming rigs, 2700k, 6700k, 7700k, 8700k, 980GTX, 1080ti, etc.  ..and each one of those gave me more grey hair 😞

I am really looking forward for this. It can't harm to stirr the gaming hardware market up a bit.

It will take time to adopt to ARM but I think the age of x86 is coming to an end in the next 5 

3 hours ago, BitMaster said:

Don't beat me now, LoL

that happening.

offers. 

It will take time to adopt to ARM but I think the age of x86 is coming to an end in the next 5 years.

Yeah Windows is a major pain . Quick question please . Have you ever run Windows Lite with DCS ? I have considered doing so , but do not wish to undertake such a daunting process without hearing someone's experience as to its effects on DCS . 

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

As far as I could read it up, that version of Windows never made it to release. I am honestly not a big fan of messing too much with a Windows install. The more functions and apps you have installed the more dependencies one has and it then takes only little things to break big things. I would consider that without question with one of my VM Win10's. Provide me a link and I will happily spend some time with it.

It's actually not about OS stability foremost, that is only a nice extra, the big thing is graphics power combined with very high IPC and Multi-Core performance as well, all that with much less wattage/heat and very likely for a fraction of the cost. I mean, right now, you can get a very capable MBP 16" with some reall extras on top for the price of a 3090. 

With a sober mind and hard earned cash you will think twice if alternatives arise.

I am confident DCS won't move to macOS-ARM before I die, that's not my topic. It is more or less the whole Home Computing market shifting towards ARM in general IF Apple can 

deliver as expected with M1X, M1 is already a big hitter even so it's a first. For 90% of the people I know ( and fix their little PC issues ) a MacBook Air M1 would be a blessing in every aspect. It roughly pulls equal with a R5 5600X at a fraction of the energy and cooling needed. 

Now imagine Apple manages to really succeed with the M1X across a variety of their Computers and mobile devices as well. It's the same damn die all over, they wont need 5 different dies

and sockets etc... they need just ONE. Yield will be much higher, cost significantly lower and what the rumors say, tack a few of them together and you get a 40-core CPU. That will hunt in Threadripper territory, ala Mac Pro or high end iMac class of devices which usually have high core count WS CPU's. If Apple manages to use one and the same core across most of their devices it will be a winning strategy and others, if they like it or not, will have to do ""something"" about it. I think, the wrong answer would be to follow the x86 road for much longer.

imho, the future is ARM, multiple cores with high performance vs. high efficiency ( 8+2; 16+4, 32+8 etc.. ) combined with a multicore iGPU, all tied to the same nearby DRAM.

Things would need to change, there would be no more empty mainboard to buy, likely they would come as a Board+CPU/GPU+RAM is what I could imagine. As it already is nowadays

with highly energy efficient devices, sockets and pins are a thing of the past in this regard.

With the Green Idea behind, Net-Zero-America or the equivalent movement in Europe, tightened regulations, all that points to the same direction. 

In contrast, Intel's latest Alder-Lake-S insanity with ~230w TDP for an 8-core feels like the "Processic Park II, The Revival of the Dead", a real hot movie if you ask me.

Whatever will come out of it, it will affect the CPU landscape significantly and thus, through the backdoor, force Software Companies to again take care for ARM compatibility.

It's nothing new, it's already done for billions of ARM based mobile devices, likely outnumbering x86 devices already.

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

2 hours ago, BitMaster said:

Provide me a link 

Here is a YouTube vid dated May 2021 . Looking for better performance in my lifetime 🙂 Thanks !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I have no idea what language he's talking in that video.

LOL ! Apologies , my bad . How about Britec's video ? English , I swear 🙂

24 minutes ago, BitMaster said:

I have no idea what language he's talking in that video.

• 3 months later...

No, you can't even install it. Mind the architecture, x86 vs. ARM.  You'd need to install Win10 for ARM.

Given the tons of money Apple wins from games on iOS, they have probably some plan for Mac and why not an ARM console (Apple TV on steroid ?).
But games must be compiled for ARM and use Metal as its low level API (or a framework/engine using Metal under the hood) AFAIK.

But they will probably not target the same gamer population, at least at the beginning IMO

Edited by Chapa

i7 12700k, RTX 3080ti, 64GB RAM, M.2 512Go, Quest 2

On 10/22/2021 at 12:25 PM, BitMaster said:

No, you can't even install it. Mind the architecture, x86 vs. ARM.  You'd need to install Win10 for ARM.

Understand that, but when running virtual under windows it should be possible. My question is therefore how playable will ot be ?

Have you ever seen something heavy running decent on a virtual machine?

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

GTAV runs at 30fps @ 1080p on a Macbook Air M1 8GB using parallels for ARM, Windows for ARM and then whatever Microsoft's emulation layer is. I'm not saying that's good BTW, but it's a starting point for talking about Windows game performance on Apple silicon. Personally I'd never start with the wrong hardware and then try to work around it 🙂

On 10/26/2021 at 4:57 PM, Lange_666 said:

Have you ever seen something heavy running decent on a virtual machine?

On MacOS? No. Its terrible for VMs IME. Which is kinda weird given FreeBSD is decent but I guess at this point the distance between forking is very wide. It's not really a priority for Apple.

Linux KVM/Qemu with GPU pass through runs Windows and MacOS_amd64 at pretty much bare metal speeds.

Edited by reece146

No doubt about it; it's a very impressive piece of work. That being said, a couple of takeaways: it's a custom SoC on a 5nm and is tailored specifically for MacOS, which they have strict control over (ie how software has to be made to best utilize the KNOWN hardware.). Those are huge advantages. In the end, the performance of M1X is on par to Alder Lake + 3070 (3080 mobile), but at roughly an alleged half of TDP.

This guy goes over it very well (much better than I will ever be able to ) fast forward to1:38:10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5KPQVJkJBA

With all that, I'd wait and see what Alder Lake, and more so Rocket Lake and Zen 4 bring.

Windows 11 | ASUS B650E-F STRIX | AMD 7800X3D | G.Skill 64Gb DDR5 6200 30-36-36-48 w/ tuned secondary/tertiary | RTX 4090 undervolted curve | MSI MPG A1000G PSU | VKB MCG Gunfighter Ultimate + Rudder Pedals + WH Throttle |  HP Reverb G2